• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to forum But Not to Diesels

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
I have in-depth Knowledge on the 3.0 its behavior and characteristics. look forwarded to exchanging info... Any question(s) I will do My best to answer.

Great! I will take you up on that. I tow a 6500lb travel trailer with my 2015 Eco. When pulling big hills (Eisenhower Tunnel, Wolf Creek Pass ... 6% grade for 8-10 miles) my coolant temp reaches 244F and stays there (4th gear 2900 rpm). It holds steady there but that number is a little high for my comfort. I appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have.
John.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Remove all the sound insulations , Both sides, Remove the CP4 pump cover place the 4 bolts back in threaded holes, I also keep the plastic engine cover off during summer months.
Do you have Banks IQ or CTS ? If you don't unplugging the EGR actuator gate,it blocks 20/40% of the hot exhaust gases form entering the EGR coolant chamber, the Downside is occasional P245B code, this is a two trip code even if it appears it will NOT effect power or operation, but you will a device to clear the code.

WOW if your Coolant is 244F your oil is ? If you not running T-6 change over ASAP.

What we need to find away to just reach 220F to trick the system into thinking the coolant is warm (W/O triggering a code) to engage the fan like this diagram for older Rams.

We need to figure out correct Ohms ,the wiring is easy. that way you can flip the in cab switch before the climb cooling the system in advance, You can toggle the switch to see your actual Temps.

I know this even if the trans fluid and oil run 50F cooler then 220F no code will be triggered, that would be some indictor of actual coolant temps, BC once you flip the switch its going to stay right at the set ohms. 220+- whatever ohm out.

Attachments

• Manual override for fan clutch.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 9

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks. Oil temp was (I think) 256F and tans was 215F? I will watch those closer next time and verify. It was a hot day (92F outside). Last oil change I put in LiquiMoly 5w30 synthetic that meets MS11106 spec. I have a Modis scanner updated to 15-4 update so I can monitor and activate whatever and obviously clear codes. What brand oil do you suggest for the T6 spec? I like the idea of manually switching the fan on, will look into that and let you know how things go. Looking closely at the grill, airflow seems poor. The newer style grill looks much better. Thanks again.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
T-6 is Rotella 5-40W ,We have been supporting T-6 for EDs for 2 Years FCA finally Dropped MS11106 . The additive package in MS11106 is low in MAG,MOLY,ZINC these are extremely important for any diesel in long term ownership.

The 3-way valve is another mod to consider..I'm working on that NOW.

THE EGR coolant chamber is the big Killer in the ED all that HOT EXHAUST 1000F+ entering that chamber is considerably raising the Coolant Temps.

taco4x4

Jun 3, 2017
Truck Year
Remove all the sound insulations , Both sides, Remove the CP4 pump cover place the 4 bolts back in threaded holes, I also keep the plastic engine cover off during summer months.
Do you have Banks IQ or CTS ? If you don't unplugging the EGR actuator gate,it blocks 20/40% of the hot exhaust gases form entering the EGR coolant chamber, the Downside is occasional P245B code, this is a two trip code even if it appears it will NOT effect power or operation, but you will a device to clear the code.

WOW if your Coolant is 244F your oil is ? If you not running T-6 change over ASAP.

What we need to find away to just reach 220F to trick the system into thinking the coolant is warm (W/O triggering a code) to engage the fan like this diagram for older Rams.

We need to figure out correct Ohms ,the wiring is easy. that way you can flip the in cab switch before the climb cooling the system in advance, You can toggle the switch to see your actual Temps.

I know this even if the trans fluid and oil run 50F cooler then 220F no code will be triggered, that would be some indictor of actual coolant temps, BC once you flip the switch its going to stay right at the set ohms. 220+- whatever ohm out.

Did you ever figure this out for a manual switch for the fan?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No... And waiting to find out the final ruling on the Criminal charges (FCA) before I use My time to figure it out....