• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New truck?

Bubblehead37

Nov 14, 2021
Hi all! New member in Maine debating whether or not to pull the trigger on a 2016 ED Ram. Looking to upgrade from a 2010 Ram 5.7 due to extra short bed (crew cab) and fuel mileage. I commute a little over 70 miles each way to work and with current fuel prices, I don't feel like blowing that much money out of the tailpipe with taking my car (which also isn't great on fuel but better than my truck) off the road for refinishing over the winter. The ED is a Laramie Limited that looks to be nearly fully loaded (crew cab, 6.5' bed, heated/AC leather, air suspension, cold weather package, the list goes on) with a little over 135k miles on it and I'm just wondering what I need to worry about on these trucks. I know my way around a vehicle and diesels, was a VW tech for 10 years prior to the military, so working on it doesn't scare me too much and I plan on deleting to hopefully boost the fuel mileage and reliability a little more. It would primarily used for commuting, trips to hardware stores and occasionally towing up to 9k pounds.

Was just curious what you all thought about things to look for before buying or if you think I should run from the ED and just get a newer Hemi (with better cylinder deactivation and more than 5 speeds). Peeking around here over the last few days it seems like these engines are really hit or miss!

Thanks in advance!

Higgybob

Aug 28, 2021
Truck Year
Welcome. I’m new here but have diy experience with Mercedes diesels and bought a 2018 ED I couldn’t be happier. 25-26 hwy 20 in town. my first 4k showing average of 22.5 from my research it seems some of the earlier ED had some terminal issues that couldn’t be fixed for months(parts, electronic knowledge , supply chain Etc. )that’s why they hadj a buy back on some years and a settlement for owners. . I went for latter models that had most of they issues fixed. fingers crossed.
they are much more tech dependent than mercedes diesels