• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all I am new to the Forum and new to owning an Ecodiesel. Looking for helpful hints and fun stuff to add or do with the truck. Also any flaws that I will need to be aware of. Thank you all.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Main problems are engines locking up rod's putting holes in block camshafts snapping dpf clogging turbos going plus many more suprises

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Main problems are engines locking up rod's putting holes in block camshafts snapping dpf clogging turbos going plus many more suprises

Well those do no sound very good at all. Hope that will not be the case with mine.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
If u r not running a tune u will have Def egr dpf problems read around it will make u think what in the hell did I buy

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well those do no sound very good at all. Hope that will not be the case with mine.
Wow, that was quite the welcome you got! What year is your truck and how many miles do you have on it? When these trucks are right they are fantastic!

Are you aware that there is a Fiat Chrysler ECM flash that "supposedly" fixes some emission flaws in the vehicle that was put out in response to a lawsuit? It would be worth finding out if your truck is/was eligible and if the flash has been done. You may be eligible for some financial compensation.

Many here will tell you to install an aftermarket "tune" that really enhances the trucks performance and mileage. Do some reading and research, it is fascinating.

Oil changes are critical with the correct high quality oil and sending a sample of oil in for an "oil analysis" will give you great information on the state of your engine if done over time.

As far as fun stuff there is a ton of things you can do to personalize your truck and tens of thousands of dollars of aftermarket accessories to choose from to make it your own!

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Wow, that was quite the welcome you got! What year is your truck and how many miles do you have on it? When these trucks are right they are fantastic!

Are you aware that there is a Fiat Chrysler ECM flash that "supposedly" fixes some emission flaws in the vehicle that was put out in response to a lawsuit? It would be worth finding out if your truck is/was eligible and if the flash has been done. You may be eligible for some financial compensation.

Many here will tell you to install an aftermarket "tune" that really enhances the trucks performance and mileage. Do some reading and research, it is fascinating.

Oil changes are critical with the correct high quality oil and sending a sample of oil in for an "oil analysis" will give you great information on the state of your engine if done over time.

As far as fun stuff there is a ton of things you can do to personalize your truck and tens of thousands of dollars of aftermarket accessories to choose from to make it your own!

Mine is a 2014. It has 100k on it. It does have 2 recalls on it and I was looking at a time for it but wasn’t sure which way to go.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
From my first post an hour ago... people seem to be extremely negative about these trucks which is discouraging.. it’s like when the 6.0 powerstrokes were blowing up. Find out the cause and fix it.. which is what I’m reading up on. I absolutely love mine and the nay sayers and pound it 😂😂

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
They are not going to fix any thing they are not using that engine any more a new eco engine will b in the new 2020eco and they won't work in the older eco diesel they r great trucks if they stay together and that is a large if

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all I am new to the Forum and new to owning an Ecodiesel. Looking for helpful hints and fun stuff to add or do with the truck. Also any flaws that I will need to be aware of. Thank you all.
Welcome and congrats on the new truck! @1shadowsabre has some good info. Dig in, read up and do your maintenance. This motor has its issues mainly due to the emissions system, but overall is a great setup. Getting a tune installed bypasses much of the emissions, gives you a little more power and mpg's as well. Since you're most likely beyond the warranty, you should research and consider GDE, AEM or SFT for a tune. You'll hear different opinions on each, but I think you'd be fine with any of them. Enjoy!

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year

[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a plug and play tune, specifically a Diablo, not sure i want to me with the ECM. Any knowledge on those type of tuners?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Did you do a car fax before you bought it? It would be very interesting to see if the previous owners of your truck had any problems with it. If it were me, I would trade it off and chalk it up to not doing my research before buying. Owning one of these outside of warranty is like playing with fire!

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Did you do a car fax before you bought it? It would be very interesting to see if the previous owners of your truck had any problems with it. If it were me, I would trade it off and chalk it up to not doing my research before buying. Owning one of these outside of warranty is like playing with fire!

I did my research on these trucks and decided on a 16 model thinking they would solve majority of the issues... telling someone to trade there truck in cause they didn’t do homework is just stupid and most people can’t exactly do that... try helping and not give condescending advice. Sure there are some trucks that have issues and early production seems like they had the wrong oils. But telling someone to sell something they just bought is plain stupid... from all my reading checking your coolant regularly and oil maintenance seems to be key.. seeing the coolant stove is signs of a leaking egr and needs to be fixed quickly to avoid other problems. A tune to turn off the egr helps the motors as well...

As some have stated.. some are spreading doom and others will point you in an honest way to keep them the truck as happy as it can be.

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
I did my research on these trucks and decided on a 16 model thinking they would solve majority of the issues... telling someone to trade there truck in cause they didn’t do homework is just stupid and most people can’t exactly do that... try helping and not give condescending advice. Sure there are some trucks that have issues and early production seems like they had the wrong oils. But telling someone to sell something they just bought is plain stupid... from all my reading checking your coolant regularly and oil maintenance seems to be key.. seeing the coolant stove is signs of a leaking egr and needs to be fixed quickly to avoid other problems. A tune to turn off the egr helps the motors as well...

As some have stated.. some are spreading doom and others will point you in an honest way to keep them the truck as happy as it can be.

Thanks, I do not pay any attention to those kind of threads, if it cant be constructive then it isn't worth a response from me. When I get my truck back from the shop I will check coolant and think about changing the oil just for my piece of mind. What is the recommended oil to use?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
It was meant to be very constructive fatherly advice. You are thinking with emotion. Think like an accountant. How much are you willing to risk spending on repairs? You just bought it, now is the best time to get out from under it.

Just my opinion, but it’s your money.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Lol I got warranty so I don’t care to ditch my truck... absolutely love mine. I just don’t like your “SELL IT” attitude. This site is for help and you my friend aren’t really doing that lol. Have a good day

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Never was talking to you. I was talking to Brewsky, who started the thread, and bought a ‘14 with 100K miles. Why do you suppose the previous owner chose now to unload it? Hmm

Brewsky

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Never was talking to you. I was talking to Brewsky, who started the thread, and bought a ‘14 with 100K miles. Why do you suppose the previous owner chose now to unload it? Hmm

cause the guy retired and bought a giant 5th wheel camper and decided to go with a cummins. If I have to deal with repairs so be it, but right now the shop is taking care of everything I listed i needed looked at before I bought it. Hopefully I get plenty of miles out of it before it needs work but only time will tell. Thanks for the concern, but I was looking for pretty much this exact truck for a while and yeah it has high miles on it but I chose to still buy it.