• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Nice truck but.......

jwpapa

Jul 22, 2020
Truck Year
Bought a 2016 Eco in March. Had 150 on it but as it is a diesel I thought that's nothing. Love driving the truck. Never had a diesel before, this def stuff and delayed start when it's cold is all new but really like the truck. But since March I've had a few issues. Within the first month the 3 way coolant valve started acting up but the dealer I bought it from replaced it no charge so all's good. Then I get the throttle control message. I bought extended warranty so the dealer sent me to the local garage that does the warranty work.They told me there may be some recalls on this model and by the way you have oil in the coolant probably from the EGR valve. Sure enough there are 2. One is software update the other the infamous EGR valve. So took it to my local FCA dealer and they did the update and put me on the list for the EGR. Apparently FCA are only allowing dealers to fix 1 a week and in reality not even that because they're not getting the parts. Mentioned the oil in the coolant to the dealer they didn't really say much so ass u me d it was the EGR that eventually they would fix. Then the coolant turned to sludge and wasn't doing a lot off cooling. Called the dealer who put me higher on the list and said they would have another look at it. They did and said it wasn't the EGR so I go back to the warranty place. Evidently it was the oil cooler which they changed under the warranty, also had to change the radiator as they couldn't get all the sludge out. Had the truck a week to keep flushing out the system and then I took it back a week later for another flush and booked it in for a final flush in a fortnight.(Also booked in the 200 for a flush as we are loosing heat, but that's another story) Anyway a week into the fortnight and I'm driving home on the highway when all of a sudden I loose power and low oil pressure warning comes on then the engine shuts off. Apparently the engine is dead, I think a bearing has gone, now I need a new, sorry another engine. Can't afford new and warranty doesn't cover it. So hopefully getting one next week. As I said I loved the truck when it was working right but now I don't know what to do when it's fixed. Do I get rid of it and loose I don't know how much, keep it , but how long will this engine last. Is this a known problem with these engines and should there be a recall for something or other. Can I do anything to make it last longer.
Anyway that's my story of the 8 months I've had this truck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've heard the same 1000s of times, Your Coolant found its way into the lube and destroyed your Engine, WHOEVER told you it was the EGR is an idiot, EGRs don't leak coolant into lube, They leak coolant into the intake ( OK if the EGR a gusher Coolant will find its way to lube VIA cylinder Rings but it will NEVER be noticed in the DE-Gas Bottle) and that's another 3.0 high risk event and another cause of many the fires.

The 3.0 does OK in HWY use, mixed and it will cost you 1000s in repair cost, lost revenue and above all Time and hassle. Your next Motor has the same inherit risk.

jwpapa

Jul 22, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks TC. So fix it get rid of it stay away from EcoDiesel.