• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No start ecodiesel

Tridem

Dec 11, 2016
Truck Year
Have a 2016 ecodiesel, with 13,544 kms on the truck , up north Alberta , cold truck dont get used much but yesterday, went for a shopping trip total hrs truck ran 8 ish.
Went to start the truck today plugged and have winter front on this truck , the truck will not start -18 c , battery condition is good 11.87 volts on the meter .
Who else having this issue obviously in cold weather and what has been the solution??
Have a tow company coming in the morning ,to take to local dealership
But would like some insight on possible issues so the dealership
Not chasing a gremlin.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Maybe a weak battery. The voltage should be more like 12.6V. I would try a jump-start before the tow.

Tridem

Dec 11, 2016
Truck Year
Maybe a weak battery. The voltage should be more like 12.6V. I would try a jump-start before the tow.
Yes did try the jump start to up the voltage , and nothing just a click as though the starter is stuck or not getting power to starter .
So unfortunately a tow is on way to haul this truck to a dealership which is located in a diff town .
But if anyone else has had this issue and knows from experience and many returns to a dealer what they actually figured out plz let me know so i may mention this so i dont have to keep hauln to the dealer till they figure it out .
Thx

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The first thing I would do is charge the battery it should be around 12.8v when fully charged. Jump starting isnt the best way it takes a vehicle with a strong battery and alternator. Also need to have heavy gauge jumper cables. Especially at -18c

Tridem

Dec 11, 2016
Truck Year
The first thing I would do is charge the battery it should be around 12.8v when fully charged. Jump starting isnt the best way it takes a vehicle with a strong battery and alternator. Also need to have heavy gauge jumper cables. Especially at -18c
Truck is now been at dealership for a couple hrs. Waiting for a call back on what they have encountered.
Have the heavy guage jumper cables and the other vehicle strong bat and alt. And there was no change see what the dealership comes up with and will post their findings .

Radio_Flyer

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
Hope it is simple. My 16 month old 2015 3500 wouldn't start. Bad passenger battery. Apparently a lot of people are saying the newer trucks eat batteries, or cheap Chinese batteries. Failsafe on these trucks, under voltage they won't do anything. I wasn't even getting a click.

sirsleeper

May 11, 2015
Prob a low battery, my truck doesn't get used much either but I've had one no start in -35 while not plugged in... battery just couldn't turn it over fast enough. After one try all I got was a click and it wouldn't take to a boost either. It started with a boost however an hour later (it was also on charge during that hour). You'd think your truck would have charged in the 8 hours running but there's many variables at play, and driving the truck will never charge it as full as a quality charger can. My girlfriend only drives her car 5 minutes to work each way, we have to regularly charge her battery especially in winter or she runs into no starts. Her short trips simply aren't long enough to put back the amount of energy she uses to start the car and run a blower, window heater and heated seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I have seen batteries that don't get used very much, freeze and won't hold a charge after that. You wouldn't think -18c would be cold enough to do that, but weird things happen in the cold weather.

Tridem

Dec 11, 2016
Truck Year
After a week at Dealer, which it sat outside the whole time , I they were backed up so unable to get at till friday, i stopped in on Thursday seen truck outside went over put key in and dam thing fired right up !
Informed the service manager he as baffled as i was.
I left it there for service and to manager wanted to run test .
They ran test bat loads etc , found there was a high bat drain but bat was good so idk.

jibsroach

Nov 10, 2016
Truck Year
This just happened to me: I turned the key to run and it won't turn over, just tries to start and start. After a few attempts, it eventually starts right up. Not sure what's going on. Anybody else ever had this happen?

Todd kirkman

Oct 8, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2014 eco diesel that battery is good 13.2 v, new starter and it still just clicks and tries to spin engine but starter just goes on for a 1/2 second or so. Anybody have an idea ?