• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Occasional sound on gear shifts

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2018 with 45K miles. I've been running the GDE tune since 10K and swapped to the compliant one when it came out. For a while now, didn't really note when it started, I'll hear a sound on upshifts. It isn't consistent. It sounds like rough bearings and sometimes like a squeaky slipping belt. Occasionally I hear it when letting of the throttle. Anyone else experienced this? No codes being thrown.

I forgot to mention my wife has even noticed it on occasion. I have been unable to get a recording of it, like I said, not consistent.

Last edited:

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
You sure it's not the turbo waste gate!
I don't think so. It is only on gentle or moderate acceleration, though it happened at start up a few days ago. I'm wondering if it is a bearing issue. I'm thinking I'm hearing metal on metal when rpm drops, like it is an oil pressure issue? Doesn't happen when I accelerate hard.

brshull77

Nov 9, 2020
Truck Year
I hear the same sound with mine. It started when I installed my GDE tune. It only happens on light acceleration. I have not figured anything out.

The other day I had to take the truck to the dealer and flashed back to a factory tune as a precaution. Sound is not there with the Factory tune. I suspect is has to do with a change in transmission shift points.

So my choice is to run the factory tune (not happy with that) or run the GDE and see what fails if anything. I am running the GDE tune as the drivability has greatly improved, not to mention the MPG increase. Currently I have about 10,000 miles on with the GDE tune and no issues yet.

Keep us posted if you figure anything out.

Brian