• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Off engine exhaust smell

jdjj

Mar 14, 2021
Truck Year
Howdy, I'm in mid-south Texas with 2015 Ram with 160,000 miles and the Temperature dipped to 11degrees F for 2 days and stayed 20 degrees for another 2 days three weeks ago in Texas (occurs once in 25 years). My 2015 ecodiesel had an offensive smell all during this time. I finally pinpointed it to my exhaust. It smelled like turpentine or a burnt electric motor. That is the best smell i could attribute it to. it was strong if you pulled into a garage, and outside with 20 mph winds you could smell it strongly 30 yards away. i have 2 codes showing up PO128 and P20EE. I'm replacing the thermostat (PO128) now and the other is a NOX sensor code which i thought was the problem; not sure. But the smell quit when it got 50 - 70 degrees. Any ideas? 2015 Ram with 160,000 miles

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome.. Burnt smell typically comes from the DPF in regen mode or just coming out of it. They put off a strong burnt smell usually. At least mine always have..