• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil change without flash

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2014 ecodiesel its about time for the oil change I'm going to use the rottella this time do I need to have the truck flashed to do this? Talked to 3 dealers today 2 haven't heard anything about the oil grade change the other has and said yes the truck needs a flash. My question is does it really need the flash for the oil or is it just a generic answer from a dealer and the flash for other issues ? I've read on some other post that it changes shift points and decreases fuel economy not something I really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
When we took our 2016 Ecodiesel in for it's first oil change, there were about 7 or 8 flashes required and applied. My gut feeling is that these are factory required modifications to the ignition, the pollution controls and other computer driven components. I will probably have the dealer do my oil changes until the warranty expires or I notice that the number of flashes has dropped to zero. I have not really noticed a decline in my mileage since then but time will tell. I drove to Bakersfield just before the first oil change which is a 200 mile round trip from where we live in Van Nuys, California. We averaged over 28 mpg and will have to make this trip again real soon. I'll recheck the mileage then and see if there was any change. However, the dealer informed me that these engines are not broken in until around 50,000 miles, so what ever my current mileage is, it should continue to slightly improve over time. We currently have just under 8700 miles on the truck.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Wish mine got that kind of mileage. The best I can remember is around 26 when it had around 10-15000. I'm at 60,000 now and has went to around 23 mpg. This truck has a long history of codes and problems. I think my truck was put out as a "let's see what sucker buys this for a beta tester" truck. I literally have a 3 ring binder in the truck of service write ups from codes to an oil leak, to coolant blow out due to a spreader on a clamp not being pulled off during assembly ( took them two weeks to find that problem). I'm not telling you this to scare the crap out of you just to let you know what some of us 1st year model suckers have been through. Not two mention after I bought the truck the stealerships certified mechanic for this truck model quit and I had to take it 2 hours away for work. This being said I have a friend with a 2015, around 50,000 miles and 0 problems.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
the tsb shows the flash is for the oil life interval changes. I would say it s probably not a "have to have" update but that's just me!!

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
the tsb shows the flash is for the oil life interval changes. I would say it s probably not a "have to have" update but that's just me!!
Wouldn't happen to know if it just changes the mileage between oil changes or is it more technical than that, if that's all it is I can deal with that.

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
Is there any website where we can go to to find out what the flash codes mean and what they're for?

murrrphh

Sep 7, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 ecodiesel its about time for the oil change I'm going to use the rottella this time do I need to have the truck flashed to do this? Talked to 3 dealers today 2 haven't heard anything about the oil grade change the other has and said yes the truck needs a flash. My question is does it really need the flash for the oil or is it just a generic answer from a dealer and the flash for other issues ? I've read on some other post that it changes shift points and decreases fuel economy not something I really want.

I never got the truck flashed and switched to Rotella. No problems, no codes. I don't use the oil life indicator anyway, just off mileage

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The updates include changes to your tcm, shifting patterns and rpm. Also changes the oil algorithm for oil life. My best guess is because T6 drops viscosity faster than most other 5W-40 oils. But regardless your engine well be fine changing oil viscosity to then updated spec without any updates or flash.

Capsfloyd

Apr 30, 2017
Truck Year
2015 took mine in ask the service advisor. She looked it up and said on my 15, no flash needed i was up todate

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
2015 took mine in ask the service advisor. She looked it up and said on my 15, no flash needed i was up todate
Yep, same here. 2015 just switch oil weight, nothing else to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk