• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil pressure

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
Please help!!! I had an oil change done yesterday at Firestone I have a 2018 Ram 1500 3.0 EcoDiesel Laramie and I had a 300 mile trip today was about 120 miles in and the truck lost all power as I was passing a truck and the low oil pressure light cam on and said shift to park. I pulled over truck was already off put it in park and checked the oil and it looked black and like there was too much. Sat on the highway over an hour waiting on a tow it wouldn’t even crank. Had it taken to another Firestone and the tow guy just dropped it off. The guy at firestone said he started the truck and it sounded awful and now there’s a big oil leak coming from the back of the block only 65,000 miles and literally the oil was changed maybe 140 miles ago I do have powertrain and I bought the bumper to bumper but I definitely think it’s some thing they did or didn’t do during the oil change. Never had an issue with my truck ever until now and now I’m in a hotel it’s Sunday no rental cars and they can’t look at my truck till tomorrow and I’m not sure if I even want to fire stone looking at it

jozdad

Feb 12, 2023
Truck Year
They may have forgot to drain the old oil. That would have increased the internal pressure until the rear seal blew.

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
They may have forgot to drain the old oil. That would have increased the internal pressure until the rear seal blew.
I’m not sure it’s still at Firestone and they haven’t looked at it but they rented me a truck. I told them I want it to go to Ram for diagnostic because they are probably not equipped to knowledgeable enough to work on it so hopefully.

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
Yeah, started doing my own oil changes after a couple bad experiences at places. When you take young kids, pay them minimally and don't train them well they just won't care as much as you will and the oil system is pretty damn important isn't it.

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
Now a corporate adjuster for Firestone called me and said they are sending a 3rd party inspector to see the cause of the failure I’m guessing to cover their ass

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Probably their insurance company. Seems strange as it's a pretty simple procedure and they do that all day long. Other oil volume increases could be contaminated with diesel (injector leak) or coolant.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I can't wait to hear the rest of this story.

Ramman18

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
So a little update guy called me and told me the third-party inspector went there and he says there’s oil on the filter the housing the pan and it appears to be the rear seal and it’s not Firestone‘s fault but because I’m a little experienced and I’ve dealt with similar situations I explained to him that the rear seal would blow out because of overfilling the oil he told me the case was closed, and I explain to him that I have a ton of evidence video evidence of the oil being over full checked it multiple times video of the truck going on and off the tow truck with no oil leaks, and explaining that the truck was in safe mode and couldn’t start to the fire stone employee that was receiving my truck from the tow company and then I have the video of him starting my truck the awful noise it made and then the massive oil leak I asked him for a copy of the report and he told me he wasn’t allowed to give it to me, and the third-party had never called me or spoken to me so I told him about all the evidence again he told me to send it to him I told him I’d send him just the evidence of the oil being over full because I can’t send the rest for the same reason he can’t send me the report he opened my case back up according to him and the third-party is supposed to go back and re-inspect the vehicle. I believe the third-party never inspected my vehicle, and they’re just taking the word of the Firestone employees , I explain to him that I do have all the evidence that I need and it should be an open and shut case but he supposedly has to do everything but he’s not an adjuster or an examiner. He’s just a claims agent fire stone is self insured, but he would not give me the amount they’re self-insured up to , I told him he had one week to do what he has to do and then my truck will be taken to ram and they’re done even looking at it. I have to get it checked out by ram and start warranty process but I guarantee you he’s gonna come back with completely different results from his report from the third-party inspector even after he told me all of the main engine failure issues were fine and it was just the rear seal or they’re going to say it’s their fault and offer me some ridiculously low amount but I’ll keep you all posted

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Issues like this is why I change my own oil. I've heard too many bad stories like this. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Mwaller

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
My guess is they rushed the drain process of the oil change, not draining all the old oil then filled it with the recommended amount of oil . I recently did my oil and it took an hour for all of the oil to drain from the pan. Just kept dripping and dripping until it was empty.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I have to agree with jozdad. I knew a few guys who worked at Firestone. They would frequently swap the filter and add more. Probably not intentional, but it does blow seals. Hopefully this is all it did. Firestone does have good techs but they are on big ( real mechanical) jobs not changing oils. Oil guys are normally newbies to the field. Keep us informed!

tk6068

Mar 16, 2023
Truck Year
That's why I still take mine to the dealership. It costs more but in the long run they can't deny the warranty.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
The dealership will deny your claim, they will claim it wasn’t T6 oil and anything other than that voids the warranty. Did Firestone use Rotella T6?
Can you still get an oil sample for analysis ?

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve heard of FCA denying claims for being a few miles over the recommended intervals also. They have given up on us… Eco Dieselers.
please let us know if you actually get a new motor.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I’ve heard of FCA denying claims for being a few miles over the recommended intervals also. They have given up on us… Eco Dieselers.
please let us know if you actually get a new motor.
I've also heard of FCA warranting an engine slightly beyond the 5 year/100,000-mile warranty. It's not all bad from FCA.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I wish you all the best. I had a tone wheel failure that was a recall for my year and model Eco, but somehow my vin didn’t fall in the parameters of the recall. $2100 out of pocket, I’m actually a ram fan, I’ve owned 7 rams since 1995,

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I've also heard of FCA warranting an engine slightly beyond the 5 year/100,000-mile warranty. It's not all bad from FCA.
I have the 100k warranty on my 2018. The did some warranty work for an oil leak and HPF pump leak. Think it was around 82k. I have a really good small town dealer. They have more to lose so they cannot screw people like the larger ones who have plenty of customers.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I think I'm one of the few with nearly 200K on mine, running perfectly at this point.....Better than new with the delete and a tune on it. Although I just had to have the transmission rebuilt, and replaced a noisy Turbocharger.