• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OVER HEATING

SAL CALIFANO

Aug 14, 2020
Truck Year
Engine is running fine and an overheat warning flashes on the instrument panel. Fan comes on super high speed and is very loud. It thinks the engine is overheating, but its not. The engine temp is 224 and the temp gauge shows between hot and cold right in the middle. The outside temp is about 75 degrees. I have no idea why it is doing this.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It will come on at 224F, My guess is Temp Sensor, Have you infrared the actual coolant temp?

SAL CALIFANO

Aug 14, 2020
Truck Year
It will come on at 224F, My guess is Temp Sensor, Have you infrared the actual coolant temp?
No I havent. I will check it next time. I did remove the cap off the coolent tank and no pressure or steam.
Thanks for the info.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
NO, the Fan should engage 218+F and Disengage around 200F. That being Said AC will engage the Fan for Condenser Pressure/Heat at anytime even startup.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Let us known what's up.....

SAL CALIFANO

Aug 14, 2020
Truck Year
Yesterday i thought that it was consuming coolent and I was going to keep an eye on that. Today I went 1/2 mile to the store and noticed steam comming fro my tailpipes. I drove it home and it looked like i was driving a steam engine. Oil still looks good, no mayo. I called the dealer and they are towing it in. The recall that nobody has parts for says that the intake manifold could develope cracks and cause coolent to get into the manifold.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yesterday i thought that it was consuming coolent and I was going to keep an eye on that. Today I went 1/2 mile to the store and noticed steam comming fro my tailpipes. I drove it home and it looked like i was driving a steam engine. Oil still looks good, no mayo. I called the dealer and they are towing it in. The recall that nobody has parts for says that the intake manifold could develope cracks and cause coolent to get into the manifold.
and catch on fire.

mitch_houston

Aug 23, 2020
Truck Year
Well, its at the dealer we will see what happens.
I have a 2014 ED, 96k miles. Out of the blue, overheated in Alabama last week. Fan on high. Let engine cool and added .8 gal of coolant. By the time i returned to Houston 2 days later I had added a total of 2 gallons. Never put a drop in until now. At the dealership now and was told the EGR has likely malfunctioned and is behind the coolant loss, also that there was a recall on it . They did a full engine diagnostics printout and they say I also need a new intake manifold, cat. conv, and now a new high pressure fuel pump. All these repairs will be covered by the new extended warranty given me when I did the ED settlement tuneup. I had been told by a mechanic at Chrysler that they commonly see intake man. failure associated with these tuneups (which makes as much sense to me as to why EGR failure would cause coolant to be consumed). Can all these things be related to the settlement tuneup?? I had that done at around 85k miles. Anyone else see a swarm of similar issues after settlement tuneup?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mitch_Houtson, I cannot guess what/if the Failures are related to AEM/ETC, what I will advise sell, if the SCR was destroyed by Coolant the entire engine is compromise its only time before eventual complete engine failure.

Its surprises Me how anyone can reason that the cylinders can drink almost 3 Gallons of Poison and survive the contamination.

LMBO , They did a full engine diagnostics.

mitch_houston

Aug 23, 2020
Truck Year
Mitch_Houtson, I cannot guess what/if the Failures are related to AEM/ETC, what I will advise sell, if the SCR was destroyed by Coolant the entire engine is compromise its only time before eventual complete engine failure.

Its surprises Me how anyone can reason that the cylinders can drink almost 3 Gallons of Poison and survive the contamination.

LMBO , They did a full engine diagnostics.
I don't have the depth of knowledge that you obviously have.... So, is there a way they can look at engine function or inspect it for damage related to coolant contamination?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mitch, Just search it, Coolant is lethal to engine weather it enters through combustion or leaks into crankcase, HOAT/OAT coolant will mix with the calcium in ALL lubes today, Chemical reaction will occur check out link Below. (Byproduct)

1598283378779.png

SAL CALIFANO

Aug 14, 2020
Truck Year
Mitch, Just search it, Coolant is lethal to engine weather it enters through combustion or leaks into crankcase, HOAT/OAT coolant will mix with the calcium in ALL lubes today, Chemical reaction will occur check out link Below. (Byproduct)

View attachment 3041

SAL CALIFANO

Aug 14, 2020
Truck Year
Report from dealer. Replace engine with new updated engine. pending further inspection. They have determind that I have a failed main bearing and a blown head gasket. There is a pretty loud knocking noise when the engine runs. I read somewhere that we should change the high pressure pump to a cp3 insted of a cp4 which is stock. The article said that our american disel is thicker than the european diesel fuel. The article states that this is one of the main reasons we are having problems. Do you think that is true? They don't have these problems with engines over there. But their engines are not bogged down with all this emissions crap either.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You cannot just change out the CP4 to CP3 on the 3.0. No surprise to Me the engine is done, The 3.0 in America is just NOT robust in OEM config couple with poor designing and QC. Its original intent was 3200LB Car.

Get it back and sell.... What I advise.

igotagirltruck

Aug 25, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2014 ED, 96k miles. Out of the blue, overheated in Alabama last week. Fan on high. Let engine cool and added .8 gal of coolant. By the time i returned to Houston 2 days later I had added a total of 2 gallons. Never put a drop in until now. At the dealership now and was told the EGR has likely malfunctioned and is behind the coolant loss, also that there was a recall on it . They did a full engine diagnostics printout and they say I also need a new intake manifold, cat. conv, and now a new high pressure fuel pump. All these repairs will be covered by the new extended warranty given me when I did the ED settlement tuneup. I had been told by a mechanic at Chrysler that they commonly see intake man. failure associated with these tuneups (which makes as much sense to me as to why EGR failure would cause coolant to be consumed). Can all these things be related to the settlement tuneup?? I had that done at around 85k miles. Anyone else see a swarm of similar issues after settlement tuneup?
Bought my 2016 brand new. It has 56K miles. In the past couple of years, I haven't driven it as much as you all do, mainly because I put 55K of those miles on in the first couple of years I owned it. I took it in for the ED settlement tuneup and it's been sitting ever since. The first time I got in to use it, it overheated for the first time ever. Nothing that I've read here is encouraging. :eek:(