• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overheating?

Ken

Jun 19, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone have any overheating issues? I just towed 3500# over the Grapevine in So. Cal. water temp. got extremely high.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
How high was the temp?

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I used to have that problem too, last year my water temps were getting that high climbing parleys every night, and my trans temp was getting to 230 and my oil was 260 as well.
I fixed it this year, my problem was the thermal management unit on the side of the transmission. It was overwhelming the transmission cooling system and overheating the trans causing the engine coolant to become oversaturated.
All I did was install a coupler inline with the transmission thermal management unit and that bypassed that heating unit all together.
My trans still runs at the factory set temp of 185-195f and my coolant has not exceeded 230 all year so far, and my trans dosnt get over 208 at all and comes right back down.
I installed a duramax transmission cooler last year but it was being defeated by the stupid thermal management unit on the transmission re superheating the incoming ice cold trans fluid.
Im pretty sure that's what caused my radiator to come undone was the constant up and down heat and cold.
The problem is everything in your truck has water lines running to it, even your turbo, so every system will be jeopardized by high water temps.
The set coolant temp is not to exceed 220f, after 250f you start running into defueling issues and power reduction to save your truck.

CheifG

Sep 27, 2013
I used to have that problem too, last year my water temps were getting that high climbing parleys every night, and my trans temp was getting to 230 and my oil was 260 as well.
I fixed it this year, my problem was the thermal management unit on the side of the transmission. It was overwhelming the transmission cooling system and overheating the trans causing the engine coolant to become oversaturated.
All I did was install a coupler inline with the transmission thermal management unit and that bypassed that heating unit all together.
My trans still runs at the factory set temp of 185-195f and my coolant has not exceeded 230 all year so far, and my trans dosnt get over 208 at all and comes right back down.
I installed a duramax transmission cooler last year but it was being defeated by the stupid thermal management unit on the transmission re superheating the incoming ice cold trans fluid.
Im pretty sure that's what caused my radiator to come undone was the constant up and down heat and cold.
The problem is everything in your truck has water lines running to it, even your turbo, so every system will be jeopardized by high water temps.
The set coolant temp is not to exceed 220f, after 250f you start running into defueling issues and power reduction to save your truck.

Do you have a write up or anything to explain how you fixed it?

Ken

Jun 19, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you I will give it a shot.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
During summer, towing 6000 lbs in the mountains (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Glacier National parks), the radiator never climb over 220 F, and the Transmission temperature stayed the same or very little change. However, the EGT temperatures did peak 1500 F when climbing the hills and running RPM 3000 to 3500 with cruise control. When it happens (I have Edge alert set for 1500 F on EGT1 and EGT2), I disable the cruise control and drops back to normal temperature range.

I think, it may be pushing it too hard to maintain those temperatures. Hoping for longevity and problem free truck. So far, I'm hitting 15,000 KM, no problems, no issues or any minor difficulties.

Happy camper....

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Would definitely check into the fluid levels and I think Shawn has a video of how he did the bypass somewhere on YouTube

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Fluids all good and okay on that video, I did see it awhile back, but unit is still under warranty. This may be normal range, but for now I keep it under 1500 F.

Took a trip this week, to Ainsworth Hot springs BC from Calgary and Back. Temperature was -27 C for the first half of the trip and normalized at -4 C or better the rest of the time. Not sure what the chile factors was, but did receive an engine light error, minor, 5 volt missing from map. Did a clear and didn't come back. Handy feature of the Edge monitor, view errors and clear. I expect moisture got in there. I had my winter covers on full all the way, the Radiator never exceeded 220F at any time. I wrote down the code, so next time I bring the vehicle in for oil change, etc, I bring it up.

Averaging 100 to 110 KM per hours. Fuel average from 9.1 to 9.3 KMPL Did better than my Toyoto Highlander. The best I could do is 9.5 at anytime.

Tr bowman

Jun 20, 2017
Truck Year
Anyone have any overheating issues? I just towed 3500# over the Grapevine in So. Cal. water temp. got extremely high.
I have a 2016 gooD. Was fine. Then software updated. Now at side if riad. The second time since update yesterday. Suddenly overheats. to H.

carlrmartin10

Aug 7, 2020
Truck Year
I see quite a few post about high engine oil temp issues, also all of the after market oil coolers are no longer available.
I see no real answer why the engine oil is over heating. I just purchased a travel trailer (6700 lbs.) to tow with my 2015 Ram 1500 with 23,000 miles on it.
The truck has had the re-called oil cooler replaced along with all the other recalls.
Now I'm concerned that this truck will self destruct with these high temps (OIL 272) (COOLENT 248) (TRANS 240) this was on a 6% grade doing 45 mph for about 6 miles.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I see quite a few post about high engine oil temp issues, also all of the after market oil coolers are no longer available.
I see no real answer why the engine oil is over heating. I just purchased a travel trailer (6700 lbs.) to tow with my 2015 Ram 1500 with 23,000 miles on it.
The truck has had the re-called oil cooler replaced along with all the other recalls.
Now I'm concerned that this truck will self destruct with these high temps (OIL 272) (COOLENT 248) (TRANS 240) this was on a 6% grade doing 45 mph for about 6 miles.
I had these issues with heat as well, with OEM tune and configuration, pulling 6,000 lbs flat ground with headwind. Added the now no longer sold oil cooler and remote oil filter and lowered antifreeze temp to 210/212 but oil stayed in the 270 range, trans still 220 and above for short periods while pulling in Montana and Wyoming.

At issue is the three way liquid coolant valve on the side of the transmission. It mixes motor oil, transmission fluid, engine coolant in a liquid to liquid heat exchange system, small system, to decrease warm up times. The faster the engine warms up the sooner it gets to EPA exhaust levels. The problem is this system is not an effective cooler, as it is a temperature sharing system. The OEM oil cooler is the same way it is a small liquid to liquid heat exchanger, better for warming than cooling, too small to cool and on the side of the engine out of air paths.

When I installed my external oil cooler I removed the second oil temp load on the antifreeze which netted me a lower water temp. But no positive effect on engine oil or trans fluid temp. The answer is to change the management of the three way valve. When I installed my original GDE tune not only did I gain more HP I also benefited from a different management profile of the three way valve, netting me coolant temps in 220 range, trans fluid 199/200, oil temp 256/265 while towing. I am now running the EPA Compliant GDE tune which again manages the three way valve, with trans tune and I am still experiencing more reasonable temps as well as better transmission shifting.

Most of the tunes on the market change the three way valve management profile, I believe but you should investigate, so they should positively affect your excessive temperature experience. Choose the one you like the best. I have experience with GDE and love it, others have experience with SofaTuneKing and HDdiesel, from what I have read they all perform well so you would probably not loose on any choice.

Our present RV is 6,900 lbs dry. My 2014 is now running on 132,000 miles with 3.92 posi rear end. I do all my own maintenance except for dealer recalls and I am lucky to have a dealer with good eco techs. The only mods I have are the GDE EPA Compliant tune w/trans tune, the external oil cooler w/oil filter and OEM style K&N air filter.

Good luck.