• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overheating.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
I have a 2014 ram 1500 ecodiesel that has a problem with overheating. I brought it to a mechanic to fix the starting problem. Ever since then, it has overheated. I have Flushed the radiator, bought a new Cooling fan. I changed the 3 way cooling valve, Change the thermostat and it still overheats. The next step is to change the engine. If I drive very gently the engine stays cool and the heating works. But if I try to accelerate to more than 60 miles an hour, The engine overheats and the antifreeze boils out, and the heating in the vehicle stops. It seems like it can keep it up to 210° until all of a sudden. When it exceeds 210°, it just rises uncontrollably.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
I'd have it checked for a head gasket failure. If everything has been replaced in the cooling system then that is the only thing left. Might want to find a different mechanic. There is a thread on the first page here about a turbo coolant line that is under the intake that fails. That may be where the coolant is going. How many miles are on your truck? Those typically fail between 40 and 60k. Not sure if the thermostat can be removed. If you can remove it try running it without it. It shouldn't overheat. If it does then there is a blockage somewhere in the cooling system. If you or someone else put stop leak in then that could be blocking the flow somewhere in the system.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
I'd have it checked for a head gasket failure. If everything has been replaced in the cooling system then that is the only thing left. Might want to find a different mechanic. There is a thread on the first page here about a turbo coolant line that is under the intake that fails. That may be where the coolant is going. How many miles are on your truck? Those typically fail between 40 and 60k. Not sure if the thermostat can be removed. If you can remove it try running it without it. It shouldn't overheat. If it does then there is a blockage somewhere in the cooling system. If you or someone else put stop leak in then that could be blocking the flow somewhere in the system.
The head gasket is replaced as well. My truck is on the edge of 200k miles. We took out the thermostat once and it still over heated so that did really nothing. As far as I am aware there is no stop leak in the system so that can’t be the issue. I guess after everything I may need to replace the head gasket.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
I would find a different mechanic. There is a reason it is overheating. There is a kit that you can buy to check a head gasket failure on amazon. It is this blue fluid that you pump air from the coolant reservoir. There are also youtube channels that show you how it works. I would do that first.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
I would find a different mechanic. There is a reason it is overheating. There is a kit that you can buy to check a head gasket failure on amazon. It is this blue fluid that you pump air from the coolant reservoir. There are also youtube channels that show you how it works. I would do that first.
Well I already bought the head gasket so I’m gonna replace that. Thanks for your help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
Well I already bought the head gasket so I’m gonna replace that. Thanks for your help.
Hopefully that's the cause of the overheating. It would suck doing all that work and it still be and issue. Before changing the head gaskets I would get the head tester for $35 you'll know in 20 seconds if it is the HG.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
Hopefully that's the cause of the overheating. It would suck doing all that work and it still be and issue. Before changing the head gaskets I would get the head tester for $35 you'll know in 20 seconds if it is the HG.
I’ll see if I can update if it solved the problem.