• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0183 and "Water In Fuel" codes

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hey all. Has anyone ever dealt with the P0183 code?

I've had the water in fuel code pop up couple times over the last month but itself cleared after periods of driving and Winter fuel additives. So I never thought it was a big issue that needed attention.

Then this morning my wife was out driving and it went into a sort of limp mode not going faster than 15 miles an hour and no throttle Response with a CEL.

Had her come home. She called me saying that driving returned to normal but the CEL was still on. I still had her come back.

On her return I looked at codes with my Edge Insights CST2 and had it had both codes. It was 35°f this morning and I dont think the engine had a decent warm up before she started driving.

Any thoughts?

I plan on draining the filters and examining them. But I'm afraid it might be a failed fuel heater core.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hey all. Has anyone ever dealt with the P0183 code?

I've had the water in fuel code pop up couple times over the last month but itself cleared after periods of driving and Winter fuel additives. So I never thought it was a big issue that needed attention.

Then this morning my wife was out driving and it went into a sort of limp mode not going faster than 15 miles an hour and no throttle Response with a CEL.

Had her come home. She called me saying that driving returned to normal but the CEL was still on. I still had her come back.

On her return I looked at codes with my Edge Insights CST2 and had it had both codes. It was 35°f this morning and I dont think the engine had a decent warm up before she started driving.

Any thoughts?

I plan on draining the filters and examining them. But I'm afraid it might be a failed fuel heater core.

Drained and pulled FF. Fuel looked fine. Cut open the FF and examined for debris and found another there either.

Installed new FF and the P0183 was gone, but P2269 remained with the CEL off.

Drove it up in the mountains yesterday (80mile trip?) No issues. A regen was auto performed too.

Got home, went to leave later. Engine was still warm, go to pull away from a light and I have little throttle response! Look down to see CEL. A few sec later throttle response returns to normal. Still have CEL. Look at the code while drive and see that the P0183 returned.

Few minutes later the "water in fuel" pops up on dash [emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58].

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Have you tried draining your filter into a clear bottle to look for water droplets?
Some additives will try to act like dry gas and try to carry any water out of the tank
and thru the fuel system.
I would prefer to catch it in the filter separator and not try and pass it thru the system.
Interesting time for this I'm getting ready to replace my fuel filter today.

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Have you tried draining your filter into a clear bottle to look for water droplets?
Some additives will try to act like dry gas and try to carry any water out of the tank
and thru the fuel system.
I would prefer to catch it in the filter separator and not try and pass it thru the system.
Interesting time for this I'm getting ready to replace my fuel filter today.
I drained it on Saturday when I replaced the FF. All looked good. The P2269 has come and gone over 4-6 tanks of fuel from different stations. So I'm fairly certain that it's not the fuel. I did have my tank overfill on a defective pump last week. Related? Idk....

I'm hunching on it being related to the fuel heater acting up (the P0183) in the cold weather we have.

There's very little information on the forums about the P0183 code tho.

Clinton

Dec 13, 2018
Truck Year
Curious if you resolved this or had any additional issues. I have a 2014 with 101,000 and today it threw a p0183. I'm in Minnesota, and it warmed up to about 30 today and can't make sense of this. I cleared the code and it hasn't come.back yet.

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Curious if you resolved this or had any additional issues. I have a 2014 with 101,000 and today it threw a p0183. I'm in Minnesota, and it warmed up to about 30 today and can't make sense of this. I cleared the code and it hasn't come.back yet.
Not yet. I gave my VIN to the dealer parts department and they verified that I have the latest rendition of this part. theres like 6 because they used it on the older diesel Liberties.

I'm going to wait a bit before I plunk $120 on a part that may still be good and just acting up a bit on cold snaps.

I'm in CO, so it still gets cold. So we'll see. I'm ok with this because I just serviced the fuel filter and drained it. Plus with all the winterizing additives I use I'm not worried about water buildup.

Clinton

Dec 13, 2018
Truck Year
Not yet. I gave my VIN to the dealer parts department and they verified that I have the latest rendition of this part. theres like 6 because they used it on the older diesel Liberties.

I'm going to wait a bit before I plunk $120 on a part that may still be good and just acting up a bit on cold snaps.

I'm in CO, so it still gets cold. So we'll see. I'm ok with this because I just serviced the fuel filter and drained it. Plus with all the winterizing additives I use I'm not worried about water buildup.

Hey Skylar,
I am thinking about replacing this pesky fuel temp sensor. I get this code about once a week now .Do you know where the heck this is on the truck?

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hey Skylar,
I am thinking about replacing this pesky fuel temp sensor. I get this code about once a week now .Do you know where the heck this is on the truck?
You're getting the P0183?

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
The heater element and water sensor are in the fuel filter housing. It's all one unit, so you can't just replace sensors. I'm planning on replacing it soon as it sometimes temporarily goes into limp mode when temps are below 20°F. I assume this is when the fuel heater turns on.

Clinton

Dec 13, 2018
Truck Year
The heater element and water sensor are in the fuel filter housing. It's all one unit, so you can't just replace sensors. I'm planning on replacing it soon as it sometimes temporarily goes into limp mode when temps are below 20°F. I assume this is when the fuel heater turns on.

That's good to know. I think I'll replace mine before I end up in limp.mode. I'm due to change the fuel filter anyway. Thanks for the helpful information.

Clinton

Dec 13, 2018
Truck Year

Found this one online, far better price than the dealer and it comes with the filter.
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/mopar-1500-eco-diesel-fuel-filter-canister-68394482/360

DesertFlyer

Oct 25, 2020
Truck Year
I was at the car wash with my 2018 EcoDiesel. While the attendant was pressure spraying the outside before I went through the mechanical wash, the Water in Fuel warning came on. I checked the fuel cap and it was on tight. Is it safe or recommended to use a fuel drier? Anything else I should do? Thanks.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
On your fuel filter case under the truck there is a yellow philllips head plastic plug, loosen it and see if any water comes out. If it does turn your key on and prime it again and repeat until diesel comes out. It may have just been a glitch in the system. Your fuel door is designed to not need a fuel cap, but a cap to me is the only way to be safe.

DesertFlyer

Oct 25, 2020
Truck Year
On your fuel filter case under the truck there is a yellow philllips head plastic plug, loosen it and see if any water comes out. If it does turn your key on and prime it again and repeat until diesel comes out. It may have just been a glitch in the system. Your fuel door is designed to not need a fuel cap, but a cap to me is the only way to be safe.
I upened the drain and only a few drops of diesel fuel came out. I then turned the key to “on” which turned out to be “start” and I pumped a good half gallon of diesel into a catch basin. However, THAT seems to have fixed it. Tomorrow I will find out with a 300 mile drive. Thanks.

CALETH DM

Oct 31, 2022
Truck Year
Hello, I am basic maintenance to my ecodiesel 2015. Do you know where I can buy synthetic oil at a lower cost in El Paso, Texas? What oil do you recommend?