• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0402 and P0299 codes

Larrycrocker

May 1, 2024
Truck Year
Hi all. Ive got a 2018 ecodiesel that started giving me grief almost a year ago. It started with a service DEF system and a 150 mile countdown to no restart. I spent $1000 at the local mechanic to tell me it had to go to the dealer. The dealer replaced the entire def system, including the tank for another $4500. Not long after that the check engine light illuminated. I reached out to my Ram service adviser with no response from him. The check engine light went off on its own the next day. I thought it may have been dirty fuel or something. Now I have recurring P0402 and P0299 codes and a service electronic throttle control light that comes on quite often. I just got it back from my most recent trip to the dealer where they performed all recalls, did an oil change and a $785 fuel system cleaning. I drove it 6 miles home. I started it the next morning and those lights both lit back up. Please help!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You cannot clean HPCR systems unless the System is R&R. Your DEF issue was likely related to crystalized DEF Injector , easily removed and cleaned 1.5 hrs labor. Your another victim of Misinformation so prevalent in today DSL world, related to So-called experts that have no idea what there doing, its a facade.

Larrycrocker

May 1, 2024
Truck Year
I cleaned the def injector system myself. Apparently there is a non serviceable sensor within the DEF tank itself and when that fails the tank has to be replaced. I would’ve assumed the Ram dealership I bought the truck from would have qualified service techs to work on it and I’m getting tired of throwing money at a truck with 91K miles on it. It’s legitimately costed me .83 cents per mile in maintenance and repair costs. $6500 and 7800 miles between oil changes. I’m fairly mechanically inclined, I’ve been a pipe fitter and plumber for the past 24 years so I can use tools and follow instructions. Anything I need Ram specific tool or computer programming wise I have to take in to the dealer unfortunately. I was just hoping someone had a little insight that I hadn’t seen or read yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 5

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Larry, the DEF module/sensor in the 1500 VM 3.0 require the Tank to be replace, the DEF pump can be replaced standalone. DEF Tank is $2100.00 with Pump, Pump alone $550.00... You need Alfa and MX OBD or equivalent Plus bypass SGM 2018+. No , some dealerships put the facade on to trick the Public they have qualified personnel. get Alfa, Alfa is capable of resetting module ect,, its equal to WITECH except it cannot flash. Push at times Alfa cannot remove service electronic message(s).. www.alfaobd.com

Larrycrocker

May 1, 2024
Truck Year
Yeah, I feel like they got me pretty good at the dealership. I was supposed to bring it back in tomorrow but I cancelled that appointment. One of the service advisors told me they only have one ecodiesel tech at that dealership and so far I’m not impressed with their work. At this point I think I’d have equivalent luck by farming educated individuals like yourself for information and seeing if I have a better shot at fixing it myself. That or park it on a train track somewhere and walk away from it. 😂

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If used in hwy use, the VM 3.0 does ok. DD use will suck up your wallet

Last edited:

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
We had persistent codes, including the shutdown which did happen. After all the bru-ha, in the end it was the NOx sensor. The NOx value was off, so it showed up as a DEF problem.
The NOx sensor must be the feedback ( like an O2 sensor), but for DEF function. I believe the NOx sensor module is tucked up under the chassis, not in the best environment. So when the sensor was replaced, the system worked fine until the bottom end of the engine went
Anyway that's all gone with a delete, so don't have to worry about it now!

Larrycrocker

May 1, 2024
Truck Year
Thank you for that information! I’ll try swapping that out next. Are these trucks incredibly unreliable or do I have a bad one?