• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P05ED Code - DEF Heater Line?

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
I've got a P05ED code that keeps popping back up after I clear it. Anybody have experience with this? From what I have found online it's related to the DEF Heater line... Perhaps this is something that might be covered under the extended settlement warranty??

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I've got a P05ED code that keeps popping back up after I clear it. Anybody have experience with this? From what I have found online it's related to the DEF Heater line... Perhaps this is something that might be covered under the extended settlement warranty??
Wow that is a new one, never have seen or heard of that one. Had to dig to find it. OK lets start that code is referred to as "Reductant Heater Control Module Supply Voltage" it means that the module is receiving too little or too much voltage. You will not be able to just clear the code and go on. You will need to trace down the wiring to that module and check for voltage. Recommend a Personal Use AllData subscription and a good digital voltage meter.
Good luck.

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Wow that is a new one, never have seen or heard of that one. Had to dig to find it. OK lets start that code is referred to as "Reductant Heater Control Module Supply Voltage" it means that the module is receiving too little or too much voltage. You will not be able to just clear the code and go on. You will need to trace down the wiring to that module and check for voltage. Recommend a Personal Use AllData subscription and a good digital voltage meter.
Good luck.
GrearHead - thanks for the reply. I've been tied up with work the last several days and have yet to figure this out. I did reach out to GDE and they are always extremely helpful. They literally replied to me over the weekend of Thanksgiving and was not expecting a reply till early the following week. How much better customer service can you get than that!!!

Here's what they recommend. Figured I'd add this to my post incase someone else has this same issue:

In doing some more digging, this does not have much to do with the DEF line heater itself but the main power that goes to the DEF system heater control unit.

First you'll want to check F31 in the fuse box assembly that's underhood. It should be a 30A fuse. If it is blown and immediately blows again when you install a new fuse then somewhere the main power line is rubbed thru and shorted to ground.

If the fuse is fine, then you'll want to check for power at the DEF heater control unit. It is located on top of the crossmember that passes under the rear of the cab, the connector has a large orange/red handle that you pull out to disengage from the control unit.

The main power coming in related to this code is at pin 11 per the below:

1638392112827.png
If the fuse is good but there’s no power in the connector then you’ll have to work back thru the harness to find where the power is lost.

You might also check with the dealer, as this kind of stuff should be covered under the AEM warranty extension if yours is still active.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Apologies if this seems like a thread necro - but this code popped up for me last night out of the blue. I scanned it, it came up, I scratched my head and cleared it. It didn't come up at all today for both trips I made, but I suspect I'm still in closed-loop mode right now.

Here's the strange thing - last night was the coldest night so far this year (and it was only in the upper 40's so it's nothing extreme), and I had the heater cranked up to a million. Only when the inside of the truck became unbearably hot where I wanted to turn off the heater, that's when the CEL lit off and threw that code. Coincidence?

bent

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
Apologies if this seems like a thread necro - but this code popped up for me last night out of the blue. I scanned it, it came up, I scratched my head and cleared it. It didn't come up at all today for both trips I made, but I suspect I'm still in closed-loop mode right now.

Here's the strange thing - last night was the coldest night so far this year (and it was only in the upper 40's so it's nothing extreme), and I had the heater cranked up to a million. Only when the inside of the truck became unbearably hot where I wanted to turn off the heater, that's when the CEL lit off and threw that code. Coincidence?
Sean,
I just repaired this fault on my 17 ecodiesel, here's what I found.
The trouble shooting SOP mentioned above is spot on.
Check fuse 31 for continunity
if good check pin 11 on the plug for the heater control module, found on the cross member above the drive shaft near the transfer case.
This is a hot at all times circuit so no key on needed. Circuit A914
if no power there
check for power on pin 14 of the middle large connector on the outside of the drivers side frame rail
If you have power there
then there is a splice above the DEF tank (SP1899) that likely has failed and the tank will need to be dropped
open the tape and the failed wire becomes easy to spot.
That's where mine failed.
Wayne

arod450

Sep 21, 2023
Truck Year
Sean,
I just repaired this fault on my 17 ecodiesel, here's what I found.
The trouble shooting SOP mentioned above is spot on.
Check fuse 31 for continunity
if good check pin 11 on the plug for the heater control module, found on the cross member above the drive shaft near the transfer case.
This is a hot at all times circuit so no key on needed. Circuit A914
if no power there
check for power on pin 14 of the middle large connector on the outside of the drivers side frame rail
If you have power there
then there is a splice above the DEF tank (SP1899) that likely has failed and the tank will need to be dropped
open the tape and the failed wire becomes easy to spot.
That's where mine

arod450

Sep 21, 2023
Truck Year
This is happening to me right now, but my heater in the cab blows cold too, are both things related?

bent

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
This is happening to me right now, but my heater in the cab blows cold too, are both things related?
No , the cab heater blowing cold air has nothing to do with heating the DEF tank and lines.
Wayne
edit: spelling