• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P203E Code and 500miles to wont start message.

eric98765

Apr 13, 2023
Truck Year
I've got a 2014 ecodiesel 1500 limited, around 73k on the odometer. I've recently gotten the P203E engine code and it wont clear it's in the permanent stored code. The def fluid level is showing empty.
I also have the engine wont start in 500 miles low def message,
Now what I've done is pull the def injector and steam clean it as well as the exaust port it was connected to remove def buildup. Also removed some def from the tank incase it was to full and the sensor couldn't read properly, I was told that it's a ultrasonic sensor and needs space on the top of the def tank to read a level..
So far nothing's worked. Any help would be appreciated, trying not to buy a whole tank $.
Thanks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I would figure out a way to check the sensor, or the reductant level sensor may be malfunctioning or damaged, causing the P203E code to be triggered. Inspect the sensor and wiring for any signs of damage or wear.

eric98765

Apr 13, 2023
Truck Year
I would figure out a way to check the sensor, or the reductant level sensor may be malfunctioning or damaged, causing the P203E code to be triggered. Inspect the sensor and wiring for any signs of damage or wear.
So drop the tank cover and just check connections? Guess I could try that and hopefully get lucky. Problem is with this year,2014, the level sensor is built into the tank, what I mean is that the sensor is attached by being molded into the tank. Theres now way to swap out the unit , you have to pull and swap out the tank. Do you know of any schematics on the ultrasonic sensors? OHM values between contacts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bhueyisbak

Dec 16, 2022
Truck Year
I've got a 2014 ecodiesel 1500 limited, around 73k on the odometer. I've recently gotten the P203E engine code and it wont clear it's in the permanent stored code. The def fluid level is showing empty.
I also have the engine wont start in 500 miles low def message,
Now what I've done is pull the def injector and steam clean it as well as the exaust port it was connected to remove def buildup. Also removed some def from the tank incase it was to full and the sensor couldn't read properly, I was told that it's a ultrasonic sensor and needs space on the top of the def tank to read a level..
So far nothing's worked. Any help would be appreciated, trying not to buy a whole tank $.
Thanks.
I have the same model as you and the same problem., finally figured out that I had way to much DEF in the tank, the tank wouldnt read it correctly, i drained the tank, which is pretty easy with a small hand pump,
drain the fluid back into a empty DEF container, make sure you drain the tank empty.
once you do this add just a container of DEF to the tank. drive it around a little and the system resets.
this works for me on my vehicle, your sensor is malfunctioning so you cant belkieve what the gauge says.
mine will never read full. only about a quarter full, when it gets real low towards empty add a LITTLE for fluid, not the whole jug.
eventually i'll pull the box to replace the sensor , but for now its an easy fix. I hope this helps.
shawn driscoll
[email protected]

eric98765

Apr 13, 2023
Truck Year
I have the same model as you and the same problem., finally figured out that I had way to much DEF in the tank, the tank wouldnt read it correctly, i drained the tank, which is pretty easy with a small hand pump,
drain the fluid back into a empty DEF container, make sure you drain the tank empty.
once you do this add just a container of DEF to the tank. drive it around a little and the system resets.
this works for me on my vehicle, your sensor is malfunctioning so you cant belkieve what the gauge says.
mine will never read full. only about a quarter full, when it gets real low towards empty add a LITTLE for fluid, not the whole jug.
eventually i'll pull the box to replace the sensor , but for now its an easy fix. I hope this helps.
shawn driscoll
[email protected]
Thanks I've found there is an extended warranty their offering on the ecodiesel model after you get a recalled software update. 120k miles or 10years From purchase.( emission issues)
So I have an appointment with the dealer to get the remainder of the recall work done, then they can address the def issues. I talked to ram/ Chrysler and found out about it.

bhueyisbak

Dec 16, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks I've found there is an extended warranty their offering on the ecodiesel model after you get a recalled software update. 120k miles or 10years From purchase.( emission issues)
So I have an appointment with the dealer to get the remainder of the recall work done, then they can address the def issues. I talked to ram/ Chrysler and found out about it.
awesome, hope that works. I think I had that done already. The one thing I found out about this truck is that most of the issues
suspension(airbags) and DEF SENSOR and a bunch of other stuff you can figure out yourself, the truck almost always resets itself.
you'll also save a ton of money doing your own oil change. really easy, easier than a normal car. everythings on top, except the drain plug of course.