• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P20E8

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
Guys need a little help to decide what to do.
I recently got the P20E8 code and now got the message Service DEF System See Dealer. Only matter time until I get the count down. Decided to see what the issue was at the dealer they told me the DEF Pump is bad and charging almost $1800 for it but also mentioned there not in stock. From what I have been reading on the forms this is a common issue and very problematic. Which comes down to my next question. Should I wait and pay the $1800 and fix it or should i do a delete on it. I was also wondering if I do a delete can keep all the original equipment on the truck or is straight piping it the way to go. Any inputs on this would be very much appreciated.

2018 Ram Laramie
101,000 miles
Connecticut

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Should I wait and pay the $1800 and fix it or should i do a delete on it. I was also wondering if I do a delete can keep all the original equipment on the truck or is straight piping it the way to go. Any inputs on this would be very much appreciated.

Deleting the truck is illegal. For that reason, I would not recommend that you delete.

I got the same code today. If indeed the pump is the issue, then I'm covered under the AEM warranty. If I wasn't covered under the warranty, then I would pay to have the pump replaced.

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
Deleting the truck is illegal. For that reason, I would not recommend that you delete.

I got the same code today. If indeed the pump is the issue, then I'm covered under the AEM warranty. If I wasn't covered under the warranty, then I would pay to have the pump replaced.
Was wondering if you resolved the issue ended changing my DEF pump out my self but still have the same code coming up and now i got the 200 mile def service see dealer

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Was wondering if you resolved the issue ended changing my DEF pump out my self but still have the same code coming up and now i got the 200 mile def service see dealer

My truck is still at the dealer. They started out by replacing the upstream oxygen sensor. If that didn't fix the issue, then they were going to continue replacing parts until the issue was fixed. To be honest, I haven't heard from the dealer since they replaced the oxygen sensor. I will follow-up sometime this week and report back if there's new information.

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
from the attachment I replaced all 4 sensors. then looked at the DEF injector a noticed the black plastic part of it was cracked ended replacing that as well. this is when i ended getting that P20e8 code took it to the dealer they said it was the pump but i honestly dont think its the pump because i am getting the same code and now the countdown has begun. Don't know what else needs to be done.

Attachments

• EGT.pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 7

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
My dealer told me today they ordered all four sensors but some of the sensors are backordered until May 26th. They are not changing the DEF pump until they change the sensors. If the sensors don't fix the problem, then they will change out the pump.

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
Looks like im a couple steps ahead of you. Even after replacing those 4 sensors the DEF injector and the DEF pump still getting the see dealer message and same code. Im wondering if the dealer has to do some update to the new parts that are installed, also wondering is this can be done on the Alphaobd. at this point i'm still not sure what else to do

ctufkes

Mar 24, 2023
Truck Year
I recently got the P20E8 code and now got the message Service DEF System See Dealer. Only matter time until I get the count down. Decided to see what the issue was at the dealer they told me the DEF Pump is bad and charging almost $1800 for it but also mentioned there not in stock. From what I have been reading on the forms this is a common issue and very problematic. Which comes down to my next question. Should I wait and pay the $1800 and fix it or should i do a delete on it. I was also wondering if I do a delete can keep all the original equipment on the truck or is straight piping it the way to go. Any inputs on this would be very much appreciated.

2018 Ram Laramie
101,000 miles
Connecticut
I got the dreaded countdown on my 2014 and the dealership said the pump is usually the problem, replaced it and I was good to go! Luckily it was covered under my extended warranty.... But one piece of advice I have is he told me 2017 and up they finally designed the pump as a separate part from the tank... Mine was a sealed system and needed the entire tank replaced as one unit.

The other thing I would say about the code not going away by itself, it's cheaper to buy the alpha OBD system and do it yourself then the dealership! All in you're cheaper than ONE hour at my local dealership(they charge $160/hr 🤮🤮)

After you buy the alpha OBD system you can clear and reset it along with manual Regen and a butt ton of other things! TOTALLY worth it!

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
I got the dreaded countdown on my 2014 and the dealership said the pump is usually the problem, replaced it and I was good to go! Luckily it was covered under my extended warranty.... But one piece of advice I have is he told me 2017 and up they finally designed the pump as a separate part from the tank... Mine was a sealed system and needed the entire tank replaced as one unit.

The other thing I would say about the code not going away by itself, it's cheaper to buy the alpha OBD system and do it yourself then the dealership! All in you're cheaper than ONE hour at my local dealership(they charge $160/hr 🤮🤮)

After you buy the alpha OBD system you can clear and reset it along with manual Regen and a butt ton of other things! TOTALLY worth it!
I have the Alpha OBD system for android and I have been reading the codes and clearing the codes. But after a 30 minute drive I have the DEF see Dealer on the dash along with the same code P20E8. No matter how many times I clear it. It still pops up. I noticed on the Alpha OBD there is a option to select SCR System Tank Pump Replacement and asks to run a few other things before that. But when I run it is says Failed. so don't really know what else to do

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
What year is your truck @TimG1?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
Mine is a 2015, so it looks like my entire tank will need to be replaced if the issue is indeed a DEF pump.

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
Mine is a 2015, so it looks like my entire tank will need to be replaced if the issue is indeed a DEF pump.
At least you a covered under the warranty. So far I have been out of pocket on everything.

ctufkes

Mar 24, 2023
Truck Year
I have the Alpha OBD system for android and I have been reading the codes and clearing the codes. But after a 30 minute drive I have the DEF see Dealer on the dash along with the same code P20E8. No matter how many times I clear it. It still pops up. I noticed on the Alpha OBD there is a option to select SCR System Tank Pump Replacement and asks to run a few other things before that. But when I run it is says Failed. so don't really know what else to do
I don't know if this would help but this seems to have a systemic approach!I hope it helps!

Kevin Gulbrandson

Dec 15, 2017
Truck Year

2018 Ram Laramie
101,000 miles
Connecticut
I deleted mine

TimG1

Mar 16, 2022
Truck Year
I think I need to start looking for my options to do a delete if I can’t resolve this issue.
Any suggestions on doing a delete would be appreciated

ctufkes

Mar 24, 2023
Truck Year
I deleted mine
I wanted to Soo badly when my dpf filter got clogged, but it being my work truck I couldn't just yet! Haha
But ooh did it sound Soo good WITHOUT the exhaust attached! It was sad putting the dpf filter back on after I washed it out! Can't wait until it's able to be free again!

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
At least you a covered under the warranty. So far I have been out of pocket on everything.

This is for my 2015, but maybe the information in this will help you:

66f60ade-8102-40f6-b5c3-a70dc19848cd-png.94329

99136235-79a3-40d6-840d-073f49d61925-png.94330

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Do you have the rest of the Diagnostic Test. it got cut off at 2

Unfortunately, I do not. I copied that information from another forum.