• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Payload increase 2018 EcoDiesel Laramie

Tcretro

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
Here is a question for the experienced. I have a 2018 Laramie EcoDiesel which so far I really like. I tow a small camper trailer with a wet weight of just under 2000 lbs. It works great the truck hardly knows it's back there. I am considering changing to a slide in pick up camper. I know there are some really small campers that might work but my question is, 1. Can I increase payload to give me more options, I realize I would probably have to change tires. If there is anyone that uses the 1500 EcoDiesel with truck camper I would be interested in your story. My other option is to step up to a 2500 with a Cummins but I really like the mileage of the eco when empty. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The camper would be used mostly by myself and sometimes two.
Thanks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Why not just get the 2500 with 8ft bed and be done with it. I could only imagine the body roll that any in bed camper would produce.

Yesterday AT Foss RD and old HWY 8 their was a 1500 Ram that was Pulling loaded single axle trailer overloaded with dirt, it blew rider tire, the Driver was not prepare for that and it caused the TT to pull right and the trailer hit the curb and the drive lost control and hit the stop sign. The NB Police showed up and made him unload the dirt in the trailer, put new tire on trailer, the dirt pile was their when I left at 4pm.

Obviously, the Dirt overloaded the Trailer and tires, it look to Me the Dirt was about 2.5 Yard's well within the 1500 tow CAP, but still the 1500 could NOT stay the course. YEP I read all the Rambo weekend warriors bragging how well the 1500s do, YEP until you need to do emergency stopping and evasive actions, then O its not my fault ,that animal or car cut Me off etc.

I was in a Semi, filling in on Saturday, for Old Dutch Foods, I have worked casual for Old Dutch for 17 Years. I have 40 Years+ of commercial service and sit on many cash investigations.

thomasd923

Dec 17, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2018 Laramie( 4X4) also. According to Ram I can tow up to @ 8000 lbs. So I would think you have plenty to go.

Tcretro

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2018 Laramie( 4X4) also. According to Ram I can tow up to @ 8000 lbs. So I would think you have plenty to go.

Thanks, Now that I have more history with ED, I sold my small camper trailer and got a 7x14 aluminum cargo trailer, which I am converting to a toy hauler and camper for motorcycles. Used it to help my son move his welding shop and had it loaded with about 4000 lbs and it pulled great. Trailer is a tandem axle with 3500 lb axles. Also finally had the recall done for EGR cooler. Haven't put many miles on it yet as I have another older pick up for a daily driver in winter, but am making a delivery with a trailer to Florida in a couple weeks.

Dennis M

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
I had a Smaler Slid in Camper on mine Loaded weight was 2600 lbs with air bags and Timberlin Snubbers truck handled amazingly well. That being said I know it turned out I was well over payload capacity and caused the axle bearings to fail. What I'm considering to investigate whether I can have axle housing machined deeper allowing two bearings per axle per side , or wider bearings possibly. I know it also depends on the axle bearing surface machining width .Yes I know I can just go out and buy a 2500 with the Cummins but I don't need that big a truck 90% of the time.Any Suggestions welcomed.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It's the 10% that's 99% of the time that causes all the wrecks and loss of life on North America's Roadways. Buy a truck THAT'S above your GVW PAYLOAD.

Dennis M

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
What is the limiting factor that makes this unsafe not being an ass here just asking

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Payload, once you surpass the Vehicles GVW (Of course within Reason) overloads the vehicles ability to stop and Body roll is the main cause LOSS of control. All The Airbags Whatever, cannot change the Frame distribution of the payload.... It's a Big long explanation on weight distribution points and ground pressures, plus the braking power of componets.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO your Axle tubes are likely wrapped and cannot be fixed. Replacing the bearings will be OK just don't place more than a 400LBS in the box again for long periods of Time.

Dennis M

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
I did replace the complete rear housing from a wrecker as it was cheaper to install new bearings and seals than replacing oem axles and bearings and seals into my existing housing.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
There is no way in heck I would ever use a slide-in camper with a RAM. Not a fan of them in any case due to high COG.

However, you can increase payload, here's some ideas. Just have to reduce weight held by the springs:
Rough #'s
Lithium battery 50 lbs
Full delete, with no EGR/DEF etc. approx 150-200lb
Remove the spare 50lbs
5th wheel tailgate 50lbs
I got rid of the heavy tonneau, for folding vinyl
Remove side steps 100lbs

That's about a 400lb increase in payload :) .
Wheels and tires, don't care - they do impact GVWR but not suspended payload.