• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poor DEF Quality?

blahargoue

Jul 12, 2019
Truck Year
Please forgive me I'm new to this diesel world, I just picked up my 1500 about two weeks ago. Just to reiterate, every 2.5 gal of Peak DEF I pour in the tank, I also add 1 gal of Distilled Water. Is it that easy?
I've owned diesels for years but this is my first that requires DEF. I'm sure that some of the other folks on here are successfully mixing distilled water with DEF and better understand the minimum required ratios to keep from setting off trouble codes. I don't plan on diluting my DEF and like most folks I will keep following Ram's guidelines. I don't know what year your truck is, but as one of the very knowledgeable posters stated, trucks from '17 and new will set off a code if the DEF mixture is too diluted.

I'm the original poster and I simply wanted to advise folks of my issue and that was buying what was likely a bad batch of DEF. A lot of good info followed. But for me, I'm going to check the dates on the DEF I purchase and likely stick with a product that provides good quality at a good price point point. In my case, I will likely use PEAK brand DEF since it's only a couple of bucks more than Supertech when it's on sale.

Thank you to all that commented.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its not Rams Guidelines its API, You don't need 33/67 98% of driving, I tested this back in 2015-16.

I also was going to re-test again in 2020, But I no longer own My Eco, I was goin to install the equipment on My other Bluetech vehicles, Now I have a legal battle that's (Family) that's consuming all My time.

ALL DEF is exactly the same 67.5 DI 33.5 Urea, I have decades of Urea use in other businesses I Own or partnered, Some of the Products I developed in the 80s are world wide NOW and the system to use those products is STILL in use even decades later and consider the best in the world.

DEF is just clean up of the NOx to meet the Near 0 PPM CAA Laws, Believe what you want support what you want, its a fact YOU would need to drive Your Eco 700K miles+ just to make a few OZs of NOx running 90-10% Mix, even dropping to 75/25 you would need to drive 1.5 Millions+ miles just to equal What! 1 lighting strike.

Its a Hoax's and API/EPA and the Climate Nuts that surround us+ Bug spray.

I'm all for clean environment, But I'm not going to subject Myself to regulation's that need Challenging ,I Challenge every law that's Burdensome and NOT necessary just to satisfy a few less than *()& ?

Here's some Pictures of Crystallized DEF Injectors

1584017783808.png

1584017810442.png

Here's Shawn's Vids Before He took his Life.

Last edited:

SCovelli

Feb 26, 2020
Truck Year
TC, I'll say again I'm very green in this Diesel arena. I have just purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel with relatively low mileage and like you, I'm very cautious of what any EPA agency says and mandates. I also what to mitigate any possible damage through regulation that is due to build up in my truck over time because of their crazy environmental views.

My question to you is, going forward as I add DEF 2.5 gal at a time, do I add 1 gal of DW to bring the ratio of mixture down to a nominal percentage over time to prevent this DEF injector crystallization issue?

p.s. I'm really sorry to hear Shawn took his own life, I watched a bunch of his video's over the past couple of weeks and he was a very knowledgeable individual with regards to diesels.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep, it sadden Me and anger Me at the same Time, When I spoke to him over the Phone I could tell he was somewhat hurt by the a handful of Mods at 1500diesel.com. I condemn those Mods back then just as much as I do Now. When you Darn well know or should know that your elevated statement(S) / opinion(S) are condemning without cause raise up and stop.

Shawn had very strong views equal to mine, his mindset allow the statements / opinions to over take his thoughts.

SCovelli you are welcome to call Me 763-228-7121, I don't sell any products for the ED so I'm not adverting, But I'm going to start soon at the ECODIESELRam soon. for other product I do. I just need to get it done.

FloridaRamMan

Mar 10, 2020
Truck Year
Its not Rams Guidelines its API, You don't need 33/67 98% of driving, I tested this back in 2015-16.

I also was going to re-test again in 2020, But I no longer own My Eco, I was goin to install the equipment on My other Bluetech vehicles, Now I have a legal battle that's (Family) that's consuming all My time.

ALL DEF is exactly the same 67.5 DI 33.5 Urea, I have decades of Urea use in other businesses I Own or partnered, Some of the Products I developed in the 80s are world wide NOW and the system to use those products is STILL in use even decades later and consider the best in the world.

DEF is just clean up of the NOx to meet the Near 0 PPM CAA Laws, Believe what you want support what you want, its a fact YOU would need to drive Your Eco 700K miles+ just to make a few OZs of NOx running 90-10% Mix, even dropping to 75/25 you would need to drive 1.5 Millions+ miles just to equal What! 1 lighting strike.

Its a Hoax's and API/EPA and the Climate Nuts that surround us+ Bug spray.

I'm all for clean environment, But I'm not going to subject Myself to regulation's that need Challenging ,I Challenge every law that's Burdensome and NOT necessary just to satisfy a few less than *()& ?

Here's some Pictures of Crystallized DEF Injectors

View attachment 2734

View attachment 2735

Here's Shawn's Vids Before He took his Life.

I find this stuff useful and fascinating....Of course you can see this white stuff whenever you get a small spill...easy to see how it may accumulate in an injector. Any real Science or testing to know the exact conditions that cause this accumulation..either percentage, time, heat, etc.???

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
RamMan, it can happen to anyone, The only guarantee is less concentrate.

Some go Years without issue than one day BAM limp mode service DEF system, Many of the problems are relate to DEF PUMP and Injector, Both are effect by the Urea/Nitrogen concentration. Also IMO DS is general distilled double or triple times this would make it more pure than DI.