• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Potential fire after service

imatruckguynow

Sep 23, 2019
Truck Year
A hole melted in your intake manifold. The same exact thing happened to me this past Labor Day . Limp mode, white smoke under the hood, hissing from the manifold on restart. Truck was towed to dealer and the problem was a hole melted through the intake. A fairly common problem. It should be covered under warranty.

Heard back from them today, this was the problem. Seeing it in person, I almost should have just let the thing burn. I haven't heard anything about warranty, but they never quoted me a price either before they started ordering parts so I really don't know what the status on payment is. Is that under the new warranty from the emissions recall? Or is that related to the upcoming egr cooler recall? They weren't sure what caused the melting and advised that they'd replace the parts and see what happened, do you know what happened in yours?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the egr sticks and runs dirty hot exhaust through the intake and it melts it and makes the oil black as coal if it burned u would have been better off

Last edited:

Pigpen 2014

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
The FCA recall you’re referring to, VB1, pertains to the EGR cooler. Apparently, the coolers develop micro cracks, cause subsequent coolant leaks, and start cabin fires...I’m currently in line for an EGR cooler. Decided to delete instead.
How does that work exactly?

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
How does that work exactly?
Take the vehicle in and tell them it’s the EGR cooler, even if you’re not certain. Otherwise, they’ll putz around, as FCA techs usually do. Once confirmed, they’ll put you on a wait list. Then, you get to wait God knows how long for the part. FCA recommended I pay for the currently stocked EGR cooler myself, with the promise of reimbursement. Just a measly $3,600.00. My advice? Tune and delete. These emissions parts are a money pit and a joke. Best of luck man.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I said tune it from the start mine was tune when new have not had any problems and the oil never gets dirty and if I drive it normal I get 28 to 30 mpg

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I said tune it from the start mine was tune when new have not had any problems and the oil never gets dirty and if I drive it normal I get 28 to 30 mpg
Amen brother! I wish the original owner of my truck had that good sense.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Mine had 57,000 miles on a 2016 and was covered under the original warranty. I believe with the extended warranty it is covered to 120,000 miles. The diesel mechanic said expect the same thing to occur at about 114,000 miles. That's very reassuring. I will either not have the truck at that stage or the whole truck will be tuned and all the emission crap will be gone. Contact FCA and request payment for a car rental while the repairs are done. You are entitled to $35 per day toward the cost of a rental. You only get the money if you actually rent the car. Unfortunately, $35 per day covers about an intermediate rental through Budget Car etc. If I could have found a truck to rent that was like mine, I would have had to pay about $90 per day rental, hopefully you have another vehicle for transportation. The dealership told me it would take 3-4 weeks to order the parts and make the repair. Luckily, they got the parts early and the truck was in the dealership for only 9 days.

I know when the hole melted in mine, the truck was seconds of bursting into flames. When it went into limp mode, I was nearly struck by vehicles on the interstate. I filed a complaint with the NHTB and suggest you do the same. Three days ago I also started loosing heat, I bring it in on Friday to be checked,. The engine light is on full time. I suspect it is the EGR issue and that will likely need to be replaced. I also have an issue with the transmission coolant by pass valve and the dealership said that needs to be replaced at a cost of $600 and that's not covered by warranty.

This week I opened a case with FCA and they are looking into the matter. I was told initially that the transmission coolant by pass valve was not covered under warranty. I advised them that I am an attorney and that I am consulting with firms that handle class action automotive suits and if my problems were not resolved, I had no problem initiating a class action recall lawsuit due to the new problems with the 3.0L. This includes the fact that the MPG that were advertised when the truck was purchased are not the MPG that I am getting after the computer was reprogramed and that FCA has now made changes to the maintenance schedule recommending that the oil change interval be lessened and that I might have to have additional maintanece done to clean the soot buildup in the engine, all at my expense.

When I bought up these issues, I was told there was a goodwill warranty coverage that could be applied to the majority of the costs not covered under warranty.

I can tell you now, FCA has assigned representative to try and take care of customers that are having problems with the 3.0L diesel motors. They will be generous in trying to get these 3.0L diesels limped through until the purchaser sells them or they hit the scrap yard. FCA does not want any part of a new class action lawsuit over these motors.

I also sent a letter to the president of FCA advising him of the problems with my truck and that it is very dangerous to operate this truck as it is a fire risk and that when it goes into limp mode it basically shuts down to 10-15 MPH, which is extremely dangerous on a freeway where the traffic is traveling at 75 MPH. Not only is it a fire danger on the road but it's only a matter of time before one of these truck starts on fire in a garage and burns down a house while the family is inside. I officially put FCA on notice of the matter, I am awaiting a response from their legal affairs department.

It is becoming quickly evident that FCA is going to have to initiate a recall campaign of these trucks with the 3.0L motors. Until that happens, they are assigning workers to open cases and deal with the problems on an individual basis.

I would suggest you contact FCA and have them open a case on your vehicle. Good luck.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
these trucks r a bigger money pit than a boat when they r running great they r ok but that is when

imatruckguynow

Sep 23, 2019
Truck Year
Mine had 57,000 miles on a 2016 and was covered under the original warranty. I believe with the extended warranty it is covered to 120,000 miles. The diesel mechanic said expect the same thing to occur at about 114,000 miles. That's very reassuring. I will either not have the truck at that stage or the whole truck will be tuned and all the emission crap will be gone. Contact FCA and request payment for a car rental while the repairs are done. You are entitled to $35 per day toward the cost of a rental. You only get the money if you actually rent the car. Unfortunately, $35 per day covers about an intermediate rental through Budget Car etc. If I could have found a truck to rent that was like mine, I would have had to pay about $90 per day rental, hopefully you have another vehicle for transportation. The dealership told me it would take 3-4 weeks to order the parts and make the repair. Luckily, they got the parts early and the truck was in the dealership for only 9 days.

I know when the hole melted in mine, the truck was seconds of bursting into flames. When it went into limp mode, I was nearly struck by vehicles on the interstate. I filed a complaint with the NHTB and suggest you do the same. Three days ago I also started loosing heat, I bring it in on Friday to be checked,. The engine light is on full time. I suspect it is the EGR issue and that will likely need to be replaced. I also have an issue with the transmission coolant by pass valve and the dealership said that needs to be replaced at a cost of $600 and that's not covered by warranty.

This week I opened a case with FCA and they are looking into the matter. I was told initially that the transmission coolant by pass valve was not covered under warranty. I advised them that I am an attorney and that I am consulting with firms that handle class action automotive suits and if my problems were not resolved, I had no problem initiating a class action recall lawsuit due to the new problems with the 3.0L. This includes the fact that the MPG that were advertised when the truck was purchased are not the MPG that I am getting after the computer was reprogramed and that FCA has now made changes to the maintenance schedule recommending that the oil change interval be lessened and that I might have to have additional maintanece done to clean the soot buildup in the engine, all at my expense.

When I bought up these issues, I was told there was a goodwill warranty coverage that could be applied to the majority of the costs not covered under warranty.

I can tell you now, FCA has assigned representative to try and take care of customers that are having problems with the 3.0L diesel motors. They will be generous in trying to get these 3.0L diesels limped through until the purchaser sells them or they hit the scrap yard. FCA does not want any part of a new class action lawsuit over these motors.

I also sent a letter to the president of FCA advising him of the problems with my truck and that it is very dangerous to operate this truck as it is a fire risk and that when it goes into limp mode it basically shuts down to 10-15 MPH, which is extremely dangerous on a freeway where the traffic is traveling at 75 MPH. Not only is it a fire danger on the road but it's only a matter of time before one of these truck starts on fire in a garage and burns down a house while the family is inside. I officially put FCA on notice of the matter, I am awaiting a response from their legal affairs department.

It is becoming quickly evident that FCA is going to have to initiate a recall campaign of these trucks with the 3.0L motors. Until that happens, they are assigning workers to open cases and deal with the problems on an individual basis.

I would suggest you contact FCA and have them open a case on your vehicle. Good luck.

Thanks for the great info! If you do decide to do a class action suit, I'd be happy to share all the issues I've had with the truck. So far I've had it 4 and a half years and it's been in the shop for over 3 months of that time.

Pigpen 2014

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a used 2014 eco diesel. Two days later the check engine light came on . The dealership I bought it from came and picked it up and took it to their mechanic. He replaced two sensors and they brought it back. Two days later the light came back on. The came and got it again. This time they didn't fix anything. Told me the part I need is on backorder for a month. And I have to take it to the Dodge Dealership to fix the issue

imatruckguynow

Sep 23, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a used 2014 eco diesel. Two days later the check engine light came on . The dealership I bought it from came and picked it up and took it to their mechanic. He replaced two sensors and they brought it back. Two days later the light came back on. The came and got it again. This time they didn't fix anything. Told me the part I need is on backorder for a month. And I have to take it to the Dodge Dealership to fix the issue

I've found the most useful tool to own with this truck is a scan tool to clear out codes and get the thing out of limp mode. Second is a cellphone for when it tries to catch fire and leaves you stranded 😁