• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Prevent Cam Gear failure on EcoDiesel

Mike A

Mar 30, 2020
Truck Year
I’m new to this eco diesel world just purchased a 2016 ED Big Horn .what can be done to prevent gear on camshaft from slipping. It has 53000 miles did not purchase warranty. If it does go what type of recourse do I have?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
The cam gear has proven to be a non-issue. You must have watched Shawn’s youtube video.

You do have plenty to worry about with this power plant, but the cam gear issue isn’t something you should lose sleep over.

Mike A

Mar 30, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks so what are the main issues and what actions can I take to prevent them?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks so what are the main issues and what actions can I take to prevent them?
Just read the threads regarding extremely high engine failure rate. If you had a tune that shut off the egr valve, you may get more life out of the engine. My advice is do your own research and determine based on that what level of risk you are willing to accept. Some eco owners are no longer eco owners.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
any one with any brains would not buy a used eco diesel after reading all the forums with all the problems posted and hope they purchased a good one

Mike A

Mar 30, 2020
Truck Year
So I live in New York if I delete how do I get past emissions

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So I live in New York if I delete how do I get past emissions
Read the forums, some tunes are able to be transferred in and out via a flash tool and some require having 2 ECM's (stock and tuned) and switching them in and out.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
been tuned since bran new never a problem u have nothing 2 fear but fear it self

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
you can read my earlier posts re: 2016 RAM engine failure at 88K miles but FINALLY after almost 2 months I'm getting the new engine installed. Warranty company couldn't find a used motor (whooohooo!!) and stepped up on 2020 new-off-the-shelf motor that came COMPLETE from Dodge factory and I mean complete! New-everything right down to the dipstick! Nothing is getting salvaged from old to new.
Anyway- yes- I lost MUCH power and MPG after the dealer flashed it per the recall because of the eco-cheats that were done in factory ( I had no idea until I drove it off the lot and just about got t-boned)... VW eco-cheating in the news sound familiar? Same here.
Ran so bad I filed a complaint with National Traffic Safety Council. Tuning is out since I want my warranty intact so I sucked it up and drove on.
BIGGEST FEAR of tuning now that I know what happened to MY truck is that my crank bolts were the failure point. If I'd have tuned it/increased HP it probably would have failed even sooner. Oil pan looked like a scrap metal box full of crank bolts/nuts/etc. heard knocking for just a minute or so then locked up tight. Expect the cab to come off to replace the engine if the service guys don't want to fight it. Mine was so locked up (yes- they had to pull the cab off) then pull the transmission because the converter couldn't be rotated and removed. finally had to torch the flex plate in order to get the converter off. sound like lots of extra hours and hassle? YES. Oh- per the "book" the warranty company goes by- the engine only "takes" 19.6 hours to replace. Yeah, right!!! That's all they will pay for so I HOPE like hell that I don't get some ridiculous bill from the shop.

I've researched a bunch since then and (it seems but I'm not fact-throwing) that there are about 19 ecodiesel engine failures a WEEK for various issues- too many to list- hence the shortage of motors to replace with. My new engine came from DAHMER POWERSPORTS in MO. Rep there told me today that there has been 5 engine revisions since mine in 2016, starting with "AA" in the part number (mine is AF now). 2020 Ecodiesels are supposed to be "awesome" so I'm anxious to find out! let me know if you have comments on them.
IF anyone knows Dahmer-experience--stuff please comment! Thanks and good luck. Happy to answer questions about all this, too

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
a 2020 eco will not work in a 2019 completely different wiring harness plus many other things

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Dahmer rep told me that it was a brand new engine from Dodge/factory. I'll follow up though thanks

Nov 3, 2023
Truck Year
Bought my 2016 new. I've had the egr cooler changed twice, around 50k and around 70k. Drove it worry free for another 85k and just the other day the tonner ring gave out on the back of the crank. Big job, transmission, transfercase, drive shafts all come out. You would think that the ring could be built better. They usually go around 120k and 140k. Love the truck, just wish a mechanic came with it.

Doyle Boyer

Mar 15, 2020
Truck Year
Has an EcoDiesel engine ever been replaced with a six or an eight cylinder gas one and what would all be involved with the switch? I'm stuck with a 2014 one with a thrown rod.

Doyle Boyer

Mar 15, 2020
Truck Year
Has an EcoDiesel engine ever been replaced with a six or an eight cylinder gas one and what would all be involved with the switch? I'm stuck with a 2014 one with a thrown rod.
I would like to replace it with the twin turbo 6 cylinder.