• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Put a $500 deposit on a 2021 Ecodiesel this week, and now I'm scared to death... Please, someone tell me something good...

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Hey no_plugs...how has your EcoDiesel been treating you? I am actually looking at leasing a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited ED myself. I have test driven two of them now and absolutely love the truck! This will be my first truck and my brother has always had Ram 1500's of the HEMI persuasion. He can't say enough good about them. I was looking at GMC Sierra for a bit, but love the interior and the comfort of the Ram much more. So I read your original post and many others online, so a little concerned like you were. Looking to close the deal by the end of September, so any updates or input from others on the forum would be much appreciated. Have been reading that the new GEN 3 version of the engine is very different the GEN 2. Is this true?
Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the ecodiesel to anybody, as long as, you drive it the way that motor is meant to be used. Meaning don’t just drive it a few miles at a time, all the time. It loves and thrives being on the highway and will do it all day long with or without a load. I have a gen 1 “2014” with over a 130,000 miles and have not had a single issue. I change the oil every 5-6k and the fuel filter every 2-3rd oil change. I think you’ll be happy and will enjoy the fuel savings over time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 3

RCdiesel75

Sep 12, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks Freedom! Appreciate the response. Thanks for bringing that point home about highway mileage. Being a mechanic with a basic understanding of Diesel engines (having been mainly an aircraft mechanic in the past), I understand that these engines need to run longer at a stretch periodically and do not like stop and go city driving on the regular. Could that be the reason some folks have had issues? Treating these trucks like a commuter car is probably not what the designers had in mind...unless that daily commute is 50+ miles on a highway of course!

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks Freedom! Appreciate the response. Thanks for bringing that point home about highway mileage. Being a mechanic with a basic understanding of Diesel engines (having been mainly an aircraft mechanic in the past), I understand that these engines need to run longer at a stretch periodically and do not like stop and go city driving on the regular. Could that be the reason some folks have had issues? Treating these trucks like a commuter car is probably not what the designers had in mind...unless that daily commute is 50+ miles on a highway of course!
You are absolutely correct, I too was a former jet engine mechanic so I have basic knowledge as well, but enough to know you need to use things the way they were intended and designed to be used. This is by far the best engine I’ve had the pleasure of using.

MMcclain

Jul 1, 2021
Truck Year
Hey everyone, thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I used to be a forum regular on motorcycle/chopper forums (the chopper underground, mainly) but they really died off with Facebook. I miss the good old forum days, Im happy to see them still alive in certain areas.

So this past week I went to check out a 2021 Ram Limited Night edition ecodiesel. I fell in love immediately after driving it. I had done some research on them, I thought it really sounded like many of the early years were plagued with issues, I assumed they had it figured out. Now I have been digging and searching all day long on my breaks at work and last night. I am suddenly scared to death. Am I going to buy a new truck that is going to do nothing that gives me problems?

Please, somebody tell me there are more than just horror stories with these trucks... I like the idea of it so much. I used to have a 2001 Ram 24 Valve Cummins and loved it. I've been in a 2005 5.3 Silverado for the past 7 years and ready to get back into a diesel, I just don't have the need for anything heavy duty anymore. The ecodiesel sounded perfect.... until now.

Am I overreacting??? Please give me some insight
I had a 2015 EcoDiesel and loved it every moment that it worked. The recalls on the engine were really driving me crazy this last year-and-a-half. It's spent close to six months in the shop waiting for various parts for the recall. Eventually I had them put in a new part so I could get back on the road. But on a trip out west just north of Nashville my truck caught fire. It was determined it was due to faulty parts and Bram re-bought my truck. But of course it was just Blue Book value and not actual value of replacement. As much as I liked the mileage on the EcoDiesel the stress and aggravation of the recalls is not worth it. I just bought a new Ram 1500 gasoline engine truck.

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
Purchased a 2021 Ecodiesel. A week into ownership I get a CEL. Call the dealer and Service Manager says drive it for a week or so as they will reset themselves sometimes. Two weeks later I call him back to explain nothing has changed. He sets a time for me to bring it into the dealership. I arrive only to be informed there is a minimum three day waiting period for the diagnostic bay thus they will have my new under 1000 miles Ecodiesel for at least three days and no loaners are available. He said he would reschedule me once a loaner becomes available and that it is ok to drive it as it is just an O2 sensor issue. Codes are P2297-00, P026D-00 and P2297.

I owned two Gen 2 Ecodiesels that both grenaded. I should have known better but believed the BS that these had been totally redesigned. I've owned 318s, 360s, 4.7L V8, Cummins 5.9, Cummins 6.7 and Hemi's for the last 30 years with zero issues. This will be my last Ram Ecodiesel and I can't recommend anyone else purchase one. If you want a truck that pulls well but has a high potential for emissions issues, then buy an Ecodiesel. I should have kept my previous Hemi as it was fine, ran well, zero issues and had not been back to the dealer since purchase.

bikemann

Jun 18, 2021
Truck Year
Welcome! Honestly, you're going to have a brand new truck with a warranty. Just drive it and enjoy it.. do they have more problems then other vehicles? Absolutely, I own forums, I love diesels, and I see so many more problems/issues with EcoDiesels than any other one out there.

A family friend just bought a new 21 EcoDiesel loaded out and he loves it, it's a very nice truck I agree. He's had it for a few months with no issues so far.
I just read this post have owned 2 ecodiesel, an 2015 that I put 130,000 miles on . I am driving a 2018 Ecodiesel with 70 ,000 miles on it and I have not had any of the problems with my trucks that some have had. I love mine and when I am ready, I will get a new Ecodiesel.

rcm71cam

Sep 21, 2021
Truck Year
Welcome! Honestly, you're going to have a brand new truck with a warranty. Just drive it and enjoy it.. do they have more problems then other vehicles? Absolutely, I own forums, I love diesels, and I see so many more problems/issues with EcoDiesels than any other one out there.

A family friend just bought a new 21 EcoDiesel loaded out and he loves it, it's a very nice truck I agree. He's had it for a few months with no issues so far.
you have the 3rd generation I have heard that they have solved a lot of the problems they also get better mpg

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
Well, I’ve had my 2021 Ecodiesel for almost sixty days and dropped it off yesterday with the following new truck “shakedown list”:

1. CEL - P2297 & P026D codes
2. The rear of the transfer case has a drip where the shaft goes into it.

The dealer parked it in the back lot and it has not moved since. I called last night and was told they might get to it today or tomorrow. I've owned 2nd and now this 3rd gen Ecodiesel, Cummins, Duramax and even the ancient GM diesel in my old Blazer. My last two Hemi's never saw the dealer for warranty work. I'm not indicating Hemi's don't have their share of issues but my experience is the diesels including the Cummins can be a little more cantankerous.

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
Well, I’ve had my 2021 Ecodiesel for almost sixty days and dropped it off yesterday with the following new truck “shakedown list”:

1. CEL - P2297 & P026D codes
2. The rear of the transfer case has a drip where the shaft goes into it.

The dealer parked it in the back lot and it has not moved since. I called last night and was told they might get to it today or tomorrow. I've owned 2nd and now this 3rd gen Ecodiesel, Cummins, Duramax and even the ancient GM diesel in my old Blazer. My last two Hemi's never saw the dealer for warranty work. I'm not indicating Hemi's don't have their share of issues but my experience is the diesels including the Cummins can be a little more cantankerous.
Still in the shop...no loaner...I have to call the dealer to get any update and then it is the same "We're working on it." They've had the truck for four days now...twenty-six more to go until I avail myself of the Texas Lemon Law and walk away from over 32 years of Ram ownership.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I had my 2021 Bighorn Ecodiesel for a while now. Have driven about 9000Km so far. It is a big improvement from my 2016 SLT.
The Power and the mileage is a big improvement. Also the Payload is up by a bit, one of the Reasons I went for the 2021.
I towed a U haul Tandem Axle Trailer for about 3000Km through some Mountains. The Transmission holds the Gears well, very little
shifting and the Engine pulls good. My last Trip , 3Persons, very little Gear was 1100Km (680mi) one Tank of Fuel 93.5L (25 gals).

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
Still in the shop...no loaner...I have to call the dealer to get any update and then it is the same "We're working on it." They've had the truck for four days now...twenty-six more to go until I avail myself of the Texas Lemon Law and walk away from over 32 years of Ram ownership.
Well, I ended up calling the Service Director after lunch yesterday and too was shocked at the time it was taking to repair my truck. I got a call an hour later stating they would be sending an Uber in another hour to transport me back to the dealer to get my truck. They replaced the O2 sensor, updated the TCM and replaced the t-case output shaft seal. I couldn't be happier and have my fingers crossed this will be the only issues I have with the truck for quite a while.

Responding to the OP...I think everyone would agree in that when an Ecodiesel runs, they perform well. When they're down, it can be a nightmare dealing with the service department. I've owned a number of Cummins, Duramax, Powerstrokes, and am on my third Ecodiesel. All diesels seem to be a a little bit crankier than a gas engine but worth it if you take care of them.

Attachments

• Issue.jpg
    Issue.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2