• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Questions about emission system intact and deleting

Steviegiuce5

May 17, 2021
Truck Year
Hey all,
I’m Stevie and I’m new to this page. I’ve had diesel BMW’s before so I am familiar with diesel but this is my first EcoDiesel! I bought a 2014 EcoDiesel a few months ago and I have some question about it cuz German and American diesel are quite different! I want to know how you know when your EcoDiesel is doing a regen and also how do you tell when it needs a regen? I have never received a message saying that it needs one, that one is in progress, or that one has been completed. When the bmw’s did regens you saw black smoke then white smoke coming out of the exhausts. When I was trying to find my trunk one of the EcoDiesel test drove said dpf 75% full when I started it and told me to drive on the highway to start regen (worked out because I got a longer rest drive out of it! Haha ) so when it went into a regen getting on the highway a ton of white smoke starting billowing out the exhaust for a minute or two, is that normal? I’ve put probably about 8,000 miles on my truck and have not noticed it doing a regen once and I only drive on the highway 10% of the time and 90% of the time is spent backroads driving going 45mph to 55mph but I’ve never seen the rpm’s go up and stay over 2 rpms until the regen is done like the bmw did. An off topic question I have is what is the normal operating temperature range of the oil and coolant and at what temp does the tstat fully open(I know the whole Jeep, dodge, and Ram family likes to have the tstat’s fully open around 220’s to 230’s)? The owners manual says as long as the coolant gauge isn’t on the H it is in normal operating temp so it can be right under H and be at normal operating temperature which to me still sounds too hot but is that really a normal coolant temp on the gauge? Mine was right underneath the 3/4 marker the other day which was a little too hot for my comfort, everyone I know that has had a black car over 4 or 5 years old it has over heated and ever after having a black truck that over heated and was “fixed” but still overheated I get nervous about having a black truck again that’s a little bit older; that it’s going to over heat on me. . Sorry that question was off topic! Lastly I know somewhat about deleting emissions systems but still have some questions. So with deleting the emission system, I live in Massachusetts where you have to pass an OBD emissions inspection, no sniff or tailpipe test unless your rolling coal going into the inspection station. Are there tunes that act like the cheat devices car makers were putting in that will just say all the systems are ready? Or do you have to put the dpf and everything back on every year and reflash to pass your inspection? I see a ton of trucks in Massachusetts that roll coal, have str8 pipes, and you can even hear that they deleted their emissions system and I feel like not as many people would do it if you have to undelete it and redelete the emissions crap every year because that sounds kind of like a pain in the ass!
Sorry for the very long post for my first post!
TIA for your help!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I want to know how you know when your EcoDiesel is doing a regen and also how do you tell when it needs a regen?
In theory, it should happen in the background with no user input. The factory programming takes care of the process without the driver even knowing. You'll only receive a message if, because of driving habits or emission problems, the regen can't be completed normally. It's been so long since mine was stock but I think it started a regen process when the DPF was 68-70% full. I used a monitor to watch it, otherwise the only sign I could tell was the cooling fan being on if I was in town or stopped.

when it went into a regen getting on the highway a ton of white smoke starting billowing out the exhaust for a minute or two, is that normal?
No. Sounds like a problem.

An off topic question I have is what is the normal operating temperature range of the oil and coolant and at what temp does the tstat fully open
My oil usually is in the 190dF range. Running the mountains to the east coast it can get it up in the 220s, and there are numerous posts on this site and others of engine derating because of hot oil in the 260s, usually towing. I've never seen coolant temps above 212dF. My normal operating temp is 204ish.

Are there tunes that act like the cheat devices car makers were putting in that will just say all the systems are ready? Or do you have to put the dpf and everything back on every year and reflash to pass your inspection?
GDE sells an emission compliant tune that will pass your MA inspection test. It also keeps the EGR functional which is what many want to tune out.

Steviegiuce5

May 17, 2021
Truck Year
I want to know how you know when your EcoDiesel is doing a regen and also how do you tell when it needs a regen?
In theory, it should happen in the background with no user input. The factory programming takes care of the process without the driver even knowing. You'll only receive a message if, because of driving habits or emission problems, the regen can't be completed normally. It's been so long since mine was stock but I think it started a regen process when the DPF was 68-70% full. I used a monitor to watch it, otherwise the only sign I could tell was the cooling fan being on if I was in town or stopped.

when it went into a regen getting on the highway a ton of white smoke starting billowing out the exhaust for a minute or two, is that normal?
No. Sounds like a problem.

An off topic question I have is what is the normal operating temperature range of the oil and coolant and at what temp does the tstat fully open
My oil usually is in the 190dF range. Running the mountains to the east coast it can get it up in the 220s, and there are numerous posts on this site and others of engine derating because of hot oil in the 260s, usually towing. I've never seen coolant temps above 212dF. My normal operating temp is 204ish.

Are there tunes that act like the cheat devices car makers were putting in that will just say all the systems are ready? Or do you have to put the dpf and everything back on every year and reflash to pass your inspection?
GDE sells an emission compliant tune that will pass your MA inspection test. It also keeps the EGR functional which is what many want to tune out.

Thank you for the answers! Happy I decided. It to get the tuck that was billowing white smoke when it said said it was doing a regen on the highway. Didn’t know if that was normal for EcoDiesel tho because my X5 diesel you’d see a little white smoke then black ash go out the tailpipe when it was starting regen. And yeah I live on a hilly place if the northeast so I’ve had my oil temp get up to mid 220’s. I know tho that Chrysler fiat Dodge Ram Jeep generally have the tstat’s fully open later than other brands. Like my wrangler the tstat would fully open around 220F and the fans would come on around 230F and dealer said that seeing those temps is normal living in the very hilly area I live. And yeah I’ve heard about the new GDE emission compliant tune and the EGR is what I want to get rid of lol even changing my Shell Rotella T6 every 4,000-5,000 miles there is no way in hell all the soot that gets in is conducive for engine longevity!