• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RAM 1500 2017 Ecoiesel Tune review after several months

2017Texas

Feb 27, 2021
Truck Year
Hello, I looked around to find a good place for my review, and could not find a spot, so I figured I start a new thread.

I’ve had 7 months with my tune and I want to share my experience with the SofaKing tune. I’m 55 years old and old school and not very good with all this new technology so maybe a different perspective would help some readers. I read several forums, before settling on SofaKing.

Little background on my truck. I had a 2001 F150 4x4 for about 15 years before plunging into purchasing my 2017 EcoDiesel Lone Star 4x4 (Purchased in Feb 2018 with 20 miles and currently 70K). I was sold on the torque right out of the sales room floor, it pushed me into my seat. Unfortunately that torque only lasted until my first free oil change when they tuned my vehicle without my knowledge. I wanted the old tune I purchased with my truck, but they told me it would void the warranty if I tried getting it back. Several more free oil changes, and 3 more new tunes by RAM, I was stuck with whatever that last tune was. It wasn’t a bad tune, but I had that hesitation that everybody talks about and was contemplating about getting rid of my truck on going back to regular gas.

About 8 months ago or 20,000 miles ago, I pulled my EGR tube and Map Sensor and could not believe how clogged it was, that is when I decided I needed to do something to save my vehicle if I wanted it to last 15 years. So that’s the background story.

I decided to purchase SofaKing All In One Touch screen (Stage 1) because I wanted the ability to retune my vehicle to stock at anytime. It’s not as easy to upload as the videos online show or the instructions that come with the unit. There are several steps missing in the instructions, but I finally got through it. I’ve been tracking all fill-ups with an app since I purchased the vehicle, so I knew exactly what the improvement would be. I gained approx. 1.0 mph (from 20 to 21) with my new tune, but the added power was impressive. Squealing tires on a diesel, that is pretty cool but only seem to gain 1 second on my 0 to 60 time. I’m running about an 8.5ish.

Now the fun part...after several months of running several thousand miles, I wasn’t happy with the tranny tune. I reinstalled my stock tune and notice that my overdrive gear above 80mph wasn’t there, the stock was better. I contacted SofaKing and after several e-mails and phone calls, I got an update to my ECM that downshifts on the Hwy when I want it to. I do lots of highway driving, and I need to be able to downshift over 80mph when required. SofaKing always made it a point to return my calls or e-mails and they extremely helpful. The modified tune that allows me to downshift over 80mph is phenomenal, and I no longer have the urge to trade this truck in for a gas engine.

Today, I removed my EGR tube and MAF and could not believe how clean they were, so I decided it was time to share my experience. I’m glad I took the plunge and purchased this tune. I have the ability to go to stock at any time. I have what I believe is the best Tranny tune for folks who do lots of highway driving. And most of all, I have the giddy-up I started with when I purchased this vehicle.....I’m running 20 inch 305’s, so that’s pretty impressive when they squeal.

For those on the edge of deciding what to do, hope my story helps.

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for posting @2017Texas. I am in the same boat as you. Been waiting to get the EGR recall done (on a list for 4 months now). Once done, the SFT tune is what I'm looking at.