• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram 2022 catastrophic engine failure.

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
My ram truck has 16,000 miles on it and I have metal in the oil. The dealership has the new motor and they're gonna install it in about a week. I knew the motor had a problem in the earlier stage one and two but I thought that problem was eliminated in stage three. Wrong. I was having low oil indicator light come on. Your appeared to be a discrepancy between the digital gauge in the analog age so I thought the sending unit was the issue. I took it in the Dodge dealer to have him I thought replace the oil center. All my race, vehicles and street cars. I've always added magnets to the oil filters. These are metal slide on. The capture all metal down to less than one micron. If you have a filter cutter, you can look at the inside wall of the can and see if you have any metal deposits. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it on this ram filter because it's plastic. So I did my homework, and got the strongest earth magnets and attach them to the outside of the plastic. Filter with the double face, tape, and a steel band. When the dealer called me back, three hours after I took it in and said we've got metal in the oil, I was totally surprised. He said that he would've never caught it headed not been for my magnets, which showed all the metal on the inside of the oil filter. Because of the EPA and all the regulations on the diesel engines they're putting carbon back end of the motors at a horrible rate in the oil and intake. Hotshot Oil now owns Frantz oil filter. They are now engineering a kit to install this filter on 3.0 motor. As soon as they make the kit, I will buy it and install it. I love this truck. It doesn't have a scratch in it. Air ride fender boxes. It's the best but I'm horribly disappointed in the engine failure. Makes me sick to think about it. By the way, this is my first posting I've just been a reader before this date. Thanks.IMG_0862.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
None of the attempts you mentioned 220 rocket would save the VM 3.0 destruction. I been promoting VM 3.0 is Hero - Zero Status... it simply too great of risk to own any VM 3.0.

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
None of the attempts you mentioned 220 rocket would save the VM 3.0 destruction. I been promoting VM 3.0 is Hero - Zero Status... it simply too great of risk to own any VM 3.0.
Sorry, I don't agree with you. If you ever drive a Chevy or Ford of this newer type, there's no comparison to the airbag suspension of the Dodge. It's handling through the mountains is like being on the go kart. I'm not ready to give up on this motor. It's just too good of a truck.

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
I was just thinking and forgot to mention maybe you ought to look at one of these electric trucks for yourself. Thanks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Who ever said anything about the truck? did I? it's the engine....220 rocket I'll pass... on EVs... I have an entire fleet of honorable Trucks.... Both gas and Diesel... (Rams)You should investigate who you deal with both in power plant Makers (Engine) and sources of correct information...

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
All engines can be fixed but some people don't know how to do it. If you don't like the Eco diesels, why are you still contributing on the side?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
All engines can be fixed but some people don't know how to do it. If you don't like the Eco diesels, why are you still contributing on the side?

I am contributing... By stating the facts and truths about VM / Fiat I posted the inter Commumications ( 2014-15) between Fiat FCA America about the VM 3.0 failure rates , Fiat continue to produce that Engine .... When any other power plant maker would have stop production and fixed the Rats nest (Cento Italy) that produce the engine. Rocket You have never taken a call by a VM 3.0 owner that simply does NOT have the $10K+ to replace VM 3.0? the owner does not have the $$$$$$+ and will need to use additional credit and make two monthly payments on a vehicle that continues to have diminished value , or the tears of a family Vacation ruined buy VM /Fiat's ignorance. I'm glad to see criminal charges were brought against Fiat/ VM and convicted. That Engine has Cost FCA America $3.5+ in loses. Rocket Your another Victim of Fiat/VM and you're bashing Me?

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
Quit being such a whiny little baby and don't bother me anymore.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
LMBO...... at your whinny.... Your magnet solution failed....it's beyond laughable, Yep only if you do the same....

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
The magnets only let you know did you got a problem in the engine. We've run them in race motors for years. You're too stupid to understand. This gives you a warning of a problem coming up in your motor.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Then why did you allow your engine to fail? Not checking your magnets? calling Me stupid ,now you dropped down to name calling without merit ...

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
Magnets around 12 filter do two things. Most filters cannot filter anything under 8 to 10 µm the magnets collect everything that the filter misses. When I took it in, we thought it was a gauge problem. Until the mechanics at the dealership, pulled my filter and saw my magnets They discovered that I had metal in the oil. Had I not had the magnets on the filter they would've sent me out the door saying we couldn't find a problem. And that's what they told me. So once again, I think you're pretty stupid you're not understanding the function of putting magnets on an old filter. Just quit responding to my side and go to some other place or get a book and read about how to fix the motors

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The material would have been found in the filter....Your magnets did nothing to stop the impending destruction, plus you continue to operate even after the factory warning became apparent, at this point wisdom would have dictated to investigate and check your Magnets. The best fix for VM 3.0 is not to buy one?... I kept My 2015 until the 3.0 Settlement... then it was gone... This engine has 8 years of way above ^^^^^^^ industry standards of rotating mass failures, Yet you disregard ALL the warnings and Buy one....You even deny yourself because you install magnets believing they somehow would at least alert the driver or possibly stop failure. Rocket I'm not trying to bait you.. In fact I pity you, just like I mention earlier you're a victim of Fiat/VM.... Even when the engine is replaced, it has the same status Hero-Zero. 100s of VM owners went to 3 engines before they toss in the towel on VM .

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
I understand you don't work on motors much. I don't work on diesel engines but a lot of gas motor yes. These filters are very difficult to take apart and then you have to spread the filter material out and try to find it with all the dark oil. With the magnets in place, you can spin the filter off and look simply right inside and see it attach metal the inside wall. I don't need to talk to you anymore. You don't get it please no more comments.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I kinda don't understand, it sounds like your engine was toasted anyway. It doesn't sound like you would have gotten far from the dealer whether you had magnets or not?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It's disappointing that a relatively new member would resort to name-calling and disrespecting a long-time contributor to this forum.

220 rocket

Nov 22, 2021
Truck Year
I just don't like getting attacked. This was a simple contribution about magnetic metal 10 micron or smaller which stay in suspension in your oily because the standard oil filters cannot remove metal of that size and smaller. If you don't think that has some value then disregard anything that I posted. I feel that some of the people responding do not have any formal engineering background well, I do.