• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram engine failure after settlement update

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
We've used our 2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel mostly for long trailering trips from our home in Washington State. By June of this year that was about 42,000 miles total on the truck, with 28,000 of it towing our Creekside 20FQ - 4700lbs dry, about 5400 fully loaded (7610 is maximum.)

The rig is small enough for national parks and forests, and super comfortable off-grid. With nearly 30 mpg when we're not towing we've loved the handling and the range of this combination.

Apart from warranty replacement of an AGM battery early on and some weird smells coming from the ventilation system we've had no problems with our Ecodiesel.

After new tires, oil change, and the recommended SOFTWARE UPDATE (plus extensive electrical upgrades to the trailer that made it a little lighter) we started July 9th with visits to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs circling across Nevada to Yosemite to meet family. I noticed the additional turbo lag that others have mentioned after the upgrade, but my mileage and performance seemed pretty much as before.

On Sunday 7/28 outside San Andreas, CA, just after I noticed the diesel had a funny noise and was running a little rough, the Engine and ETC lights came on and engine power dropped way down. We limped to an RV park. On Monday I made an appointment with the dealer in Sonora for Wednesday and we took the bus for a couple of days.

Crawling to the shop on Wednesday morning performance was the same (non-existent) but ECT the light began to flash ominously.

The Sonora Dealer found a melted hole in the turbo intake manifold and a possibly damaged catalytic converter. No one can explain why this has happened, but the circumstance of 43,000 miles of good performance prior to the “software update” and engine failure 4,000 miles after - despite exactly the same service - is hard for me to ignore.

Now, after waiting a week for parts at the Fairgrounds in Sonora, we may have to stay through another weekend for the repair and testing. Glad we have the extended warranty - and pleased with the Sonora Dealer's efforts on behalf of a stranger from out-of town - but I feel like I've lost an old friend and wonder how I can trust it for our trip home, or any trips after.

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
That sucks. This happens when the EGR valve sticks open and dumps excessive hot exhaust into the intake. Likely nothing to do with the software update. Luckily it didn't catch fire and burn like some others have.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group that is one of the many eco problems

John

Nov 13, 2015
I've heard of a few along with other problems too. All in all it's a great truck for most owners.

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
That sucks. This happens when the EGR valve sticks open and dumps excessive hot exhaust into the intake. Likely nothing to do with the software update. Luckily it didn't catch fire and burn like some others have.
This acually supports my concern. The EGR and its solenoid are controlled by the ECU - the operation of which was specifically and mysteriously modified by the application of the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) update. No?
I had no trouble from my EGR for the 43,000 miles prior to applying the AEM.

John

Nov 13, 2015
This acually supports my concern. The EGR and its solenoid are controlled by the ECU - the operation of which was specifically and mysteriously modified by the application of the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) update. No?
I had no trouble from my EGR for the 43,000 miles prior to applying the AEM.
The cause of the sticking EGR valve is mechanical. If it was software related there would be 10's of thousands as a result of the AEM. The EGR valve fails over time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Why did the system NOT throw any codes, it has a thermo sensor just before the EGR valve? IMO the only way for the returning gases to have burned a hole in the plenum is long running idle time and valve stuck open, that just does not seem to be the case in the OP post.

How the Dealer comes up with SCR or DPF damage is beyond believable, the Plenum is under Pressure at anytime other than Idle or de-cel and the material would have destroyed the VGT vanes...IMO this dealer has NO idea what their doing ( like 90% of all dealership Service dept) OP this is just the start of your ED problems.

The EGR and intake design on the ED is terribly problematic in any type of DD use.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Find more than a handful of owners that grocery get, or used in DD that have with 100K miles on Factory OP, ( don't give me your Tuned BS) that the ERG/Plenum is clean and worthy of continue operation. they all will look like this.

I will NEVER own another engine form EUR, its My 2ND EUR power plant.

THE AEM will just kill this engine and expedite it destruction.

3.0 Intake1.jpeg

3.0 Intake.jpeg

Or you will have this

Related image

Image result for vm motori 3.0 failures

Related image

John

Nov 13, 2015
TC. I have a legit question. Did selling your ED turn you into an internet troll?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Everything I stated about the VM3.0 became true.

May 2015 to Present

John would be cheering on for His loosing team with a minute left in the 4Th QT and 2 fans in the stands at a Score of 84 to 0.

John just another Owner that when HE cannot over come Facts of the VM3.0 he types troll or some type insult.

I have lost count on how many times I said this same comment Hero/Zero Status and the 3.0 can survive in Hwy use or Changes to the Truck at a Cost of 1K-3K$ US, that No longer makes the Eco 3.0 ,Eco

Put 680 Miles on The New 2019 Limited 5.7 HC at speeds 65/75 20.8MPG

Here's The 3rd hook 1st Pull of TC Diesel new 3.0 LimitedPro Truck .

John

Nov 13, 2015
Everything I stated about the VM3.0 became true.

May 2015 to Present

John would be cheering on for His loosing team with a minute left in the 4Th QT and 2 fans in the stands at a Score of 84 to 0.

John just another Owner that when HE cannot over come Facts of the VM3.0 he types troll or some type insult.

I have lost count on how many times I said this same comment Hero/Zero Status and the 3.0 can survive in Hwy use or Changes to the Truck at a Cost of 1K-3K$ US, that No longer makes the Eco 3.0 ,Eco

Put 680 Miles on The New 2019 Limited 5.7 HC at speeds 65/75 20.8MPG

Here's The 3rd hook 1st Pull of TC Diesel new 3.0 LimitedPro Truck .

Why not start your own thread in the "Hemi" section of the forum?
"Everything came true" Lol.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That's the best info you have type in this thread.

John, I answer your questions in this thread. Please post something relevant to Helping the OP.

OP needs to investigate what the Dealer is claiming. or it will leave him stranded again.

The OP stated its hard to ignore what possibly may occur again...

OP I partially blocked the Diffuser tube after the EGR valve , Prior to AEM 1 or 2 times monthly it trigger in-efficient EGR , it never trigger that code after AEM , But I only owned it after AEM 4 weeks. The cap hole was 9/16 The pic size is wrong. I find it odd in your case and mine why AEM OP did not trigger the code.

Ecodiesel EGR Capped 1.jpg

John

Nov 13, 2015
John, I answer your questions in this thread. Please post something relevant to Helping the OP.
I have 3 replies completely relevant to the topic. I admit things took a turn for the worse.

My last post as I will not continue to waste my time with a hijacked thread.

Mark.levine40

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I’m not a mechanic and don’t know why it failed, but recently had mine in for a fist size burn through on intake
Manifold resulting in a replaced intake manifold. Less than a month later it overheats with disappearing coolant. So the dealer replaced EGR cooler, fortunately under warranty. I am cautiously watching my coolant level to see if the repairs hold up this time.
Up until now I have absolutely loved the engine. After The Aem reprogramming I noticed increased turbo lag and maybe slightly reduced mpg. I am
Considering a tune as I’ve seen positive feedback on tunes that don’t void warranty

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
I’m the original poster here. Just wanted to get back with the end of our story.

After two weeks at the Mother Lode Fairground campground in Sonora, waiting for the truck to be fixed, we rented a U-Haul and towed our trailer home to Washington - about nine hundred miles with no brakes on the trailer. Big truck, fine weather so no problems.

In addition to replacing the turbo and the emissions system the dealer found a loose glow plug that ultimately require the cab and the intake manifold be removed. So it took another couple of weeks for the repair to be completed. It was not anyone’s fault that we ended up breaking down near a small dealership.

Customer Care shipped the truck to a local dealer in Port Angeles where I picked it up after being without it for a month. I’ve only driven it a few of times and miles since and it seems about as before the ETC light came on - mileage about the same as before the software update.

The repair order says the “EGR valve failed causing EGR cooler to plug up which caused the turbo intake manifold to melt and plug up the CAT and DLPF filter all will need to be replaced.” The service manager at the dealer indicated that there were some differences between the old parts that came out and the new ones that were installed but I can’t find anything online to verify this - so I remain concerned that the same problem may happen again. As I said in the first post, there was no warning of a problem until there was a melted hole in the turbo manifold.

I can’t fault RAM Customer Care. They paid for rental car (a RAM 1500 Hemi - ironically enough) so we could get around while we were marooned in Sonora. They reimbursed me for the u-haul rental and shipped our truck back to a local dealer at no cost. The entire repair was covered under the extended warranty, but I don’t see anything that obligated RAM to cover our other costs. So I’m well disposed to RAM/FCA. However I’m left with the concern I had in my last post - can I trust this truck with the way I was using it before the breakdown? Just not sure. At least I know I can get the trailer home with a uHaul if I have to.

I’ve completed the required documentation and the the settlement site says my check is in the mail.