• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rattle noise, loss of power, etc and engine light/ 86,000 miles

Andy Papp

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Yesterday my engine started a rattle noise and lost power so I pulled over, oil level fine, so I restarted it and no rattle but idle started racing and it stalled, sounded like butterfly opened up on its own. I restarted it again and it seemed OK except when I drove it had no power. Then the ETC and engine light came on. Truck has no power and it sounds like an intake noise when I drive it. I just had the AEM modification about a month ago so it has the Extended emission warranty. I have no other warranty and still own a bunch of money on the truck. I would like to know what to expect when it gets to the shop. Any ideas before I have AAA tow it 60 miles to the dealer?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
u buy a eco the second thing u need is a code reader they tend to have many problems with check engines lights

Reactions: R3S

Andy Papp

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks, I will get codes and get back to you before I take it in. Thank You

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I had the same exact thing happen to by 2016 this past Labor Day. Same sounds, hissing on the top of the engine. I strongly suspect a hole has melted through your intake. Mine was in the shop for two weeks. Everything was covered by warranty. Still a huge pain and the mechanic said expect the same thing to happen in the future, when it's out of warranty.

Andy Papp

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
It's been in the shop 11 days and they still don't know whats wrong. Said they should know Monday. Haven't they learned how to work on these yet? They should know the common failures by now.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
that's the problem they DONT know how 2 work on them they call fmc and they tell them what 2 try they just keep replacing hoping they hit the right part

R3S

Nov 8, 2019
Truck Year
I had the same exact thing happen to by 2016 this past Labor Day. Same sounds, hissing on the top of the engine. I strongly suspect a hole has melted through your intake. Mine was in the shop for two weeks. Everything was covered by warranty. Still a huge pain and the mechanic said expect the same thing to happen in the future, when it's out of warranty.
Holy bejeezus what the heck caused that problem?? Looks like my extended warranty company will be on a first name basis with me!! 😫

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Holy bejeezus what the heck caused that problem?? Looks like my extended warranty company will be on a first name basis with me!! 😫

Yep.. thats why these engines are so problematic...its problem free until X happens then it %^&$.

Owners that 80%+ hwy seem to do well, DD use and your wallet going to depart with $$$$ at some point.

Last edited:

Andy Papp

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Got word yesterday that they are waiting on the part (you guys were right, intake manifold) and that it is covered under the warranty. I guess I need to decide where to go from here? Powertrain warranty will end in another 14k miles and near as I can tell the eco-diesel emission warranty extension lists mostly sensors. What about the subsequential damage caused by failed covered components (sensors, EGR)?

I am thinking of trading it in for another one if I can get enough trade-in value but wonder if the 2020 eco-diesel has been redesigned or will it have the same problems. Has Chrysler learned that baby carriage material (plastic) shouldn't be used for truck engine parts?

I have one other option as well. I live in the mountains in an area where we don't have to smog test. What about the Banks aftermarket stuff? Is the rest of the motor able to last with those upgrades or is the whole engine a "pig in a poke"?

Thoughts anyone?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
pig in a Polk u have 2 tune them within a few 100 miles of purchase 4 no problems

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Look at the Ford F150 with the V6 3.5L engine. That's what I'm looking at and getting rid of my 2016 Dodge 3.0L diesel that has been nothing but problems.

I've never owned a Ford but that truck has more torque and pulling capacity than my 2016 Dodge 3.0L diesel. It's mpg is 17 city, 23 Highway for a combined 19 MPG. After the computer update on my 2016 I'm averaging about 19.5 mpg, down 3-4 MPG post computer upgrade.

So what's the downfall to going to a gas engine that has more torque and towing capacity and about the same MPG's? Plus gas is about 50 cents per gallon cheaper and oil changes don't cost $200 and I don't have to drive around with dash engine lights on half the time and numerous days sitting in the dealership service department.

The Ford might cost a bit more but it'll be cheaper in the long run and you'll have a reliable truck you can trust.

In my opinion, if you want a diesel get the Dodge Cummings diesel and be done with it. You won't get the MPG but you can pull the snot out of anything and it'll last and you won't have all the headaches of this 3.0L diesel. If you want the 3.0L diesel, buy a used one with over 100,000 miles on it and tune it, you don't have to worry about the warranty and given the problems with the 3.0L you're going to pick it up for an extremely cheap price at a 100,000 miles.

My last Dodge was a 1997 Dakota Sport with 347,000 miles on it with the v-6 gasoline motor. When I backed out the driveway one morning and the A- frame rusted and it dropped to the ground I called the junkyard to tow it to the scrap yard as it was not worth fixing at that point due to the rust. They paid mr $110 scrap value. In 347,000 miles that truck never when to the dealership one single time for any type of repair. Besides normal oil changes and routine maintenance I never put a penny in the truck for any repairs and it was still running at 347,000 miles, it just rusted away. Not the case with my current 2016 Dodge with the 3.0L diesel.

DODGE, WHERE HAS YOUR QUALITY GONE???

Andy Papp

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
yes, I have been considering all options and Ford being one of them. I have a 2004 f250 with 5.4l gas eng. 8 mpg but works great for all my heavy towing needs.

chevy has a new 1/2 ton diesel too.

Ram says they'll give me $15,000 trade in on my 2016. A truck shouldn't have to be dumped at 100k because of the threat of extremely expensive out of pocket repairs. How much does the 8 speed tranny cost if it goes out?

Thanks all!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My 2019 1500 limited has every option besides Ram box, the mileage is awesome at 65 MPH it gets 22-23, 70 MPH 19-22, 75 MPH 18-19, 85 MPH 16-18. Mix City/HWY 14-17 all MPG. do the math Dsl at $0.50 Higher.

My ED Avg Mix City/HWY 18-19 30 Gallons at 19MPG=570Miles , 30 Gallons Gas at 15+470Miles 30 Gallons Dsl @ $3.00=$90.00, 30 Gallons of Gas @ $2.50=$75.00. $15.00 Divided by $2.50=6, 6x15=90, add the 90 to the 470=560 miles, 1/2T Dsl cost more to Buy and maintain. Its not like the 3/4 and 1 tons were you make up some of the cost in selling the Dsl, 1/2 Dsl are selling at the same cost as 5.7 Hemi's used.

I could not be happier with My Limited19. and Yes I have a 2014 Laramie Loaded also with the 5.7. and My 19 is way superior in mileage comfort, etc.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I suspect an 8 speed tranny is not cheap, nor any of today's trannys. What's your thoughts on the $15,000 trade amount, seems low for a truck that is less than 4 years old that cost in the $40,000 range to purchase. But again, these 3.0L diesels are not holding their value and it's getting worse as word gets out there about the issues these engines face.

I heard from some that worked on the new chevy diesel that it is suppose to be something, but it will be unproven for a few years.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 8 spd is robust if you serviced it at 30-50k miles Intervals they will go 500K miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its NOT Ram (FCA) gofishingup, its Fiat VM. IMO Europe can keep their Junk on their continent. We already have China Junk.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I realize it's Fiat VM but do you also realize when you are dealing with the 3.0L the address you send everything to is in Auburn Hills Michigan to the same exact address you send information to if you have a Dodge with a Hemi? Just the box number on the post office box is one number different. I've been corresponding with Dodge about my 3.0L for the past 12 months and the address is the same in Auburn Hills Michigan. It's still under the Dodge umbrella but they have a number of corporations that have spun off.

You are right that they should have kept this 3.0L junk motor over there, but Dodge partnered with them. I was hesitant when I bought the 3.0L but the dealer said they had been putting that motor in the jeep for years, without any issues. Just curious, and I haven't researched the issue, but what is the history of the 3.0L in the jeeps?

I know Cummings turned down the invitation to take on the project to build a small 6 cylinder diesel for Dodge. I know some of the engineers at Cummings said that designing such an engine created problems. I think Cummings did develop a small 6 cylinder diesel for Nissan but haven't heard much on the success of failure on that motor. Has anyone heard any reports on that motor?

Just curious TC DIESEL, on your ED, I'm assuming it's tuned? I think that's the way to go, but for the average person that's not wrenching on vehicles, that's a lot to take on with risking voiding your warranty. Thanks for all the input.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Cummins 5.0 in the Nissan is done... the Problem with small displ Dsl is the emissions, the vehicles are big/heavey in America so the Engine is always at Boost, which increases the Cylinder Pressure creating combustion heat (Flame) = HIGH NOx.

No it was not tuned, it had the Banks Bullet.
In long term ownership Tuning is required or you will need to inflate your deposits in your Bank Acc for the BIG withdraw.

My ED is gone, and I have NO plans for another 1/2 Dsl. until these powerplants are proven for the $$$$

GM/VM 3.0 venture was for the Euro Cad at 3200LBS, Now Fiat asking it to push a 6000+lbs Truck at Curb GVW.