• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recently Purchased 2016 Ecodiesel

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year
Folks,

I purchased a 2016 Ecodiesel. It has 44k miles on it. The night I took the truck home, the check engine light came on. It turns out that the fuel injectors had to be replaced. I've watched YouTube videos that show the soot build-up on the end of the EGR tube and in the intake manifold, and of the GDE tune.

My plan is to get the GDE tune, and to replace the EGR tube and intake manifold (likely with the Banks intake manifold).

Are there any other recommendations from the community to help ensure this truck is setup for future success.

Thanks, in advance, for your wisdom.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
well, you don't need the EGR tube anymore if you get the GDE tune. I have the GDE tune. The EGR is no longer used. Just to make sure no coolant went from the EGR cooler to the intake I blocked off the EGR tube with a piece of Fel Ram gasket material.

Are you going to remove the intake yourself or do you have a diesel shop that will do it?

Very strange that it needed new injectors at 44k miles. That makes no sense to me at all.

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year
well, you don't need the EGR tube anymore if you get the GDE tune. I have the GDE tune. The EGR is no longer used. Just to make sure no coolant went from the EGR cooler to the intake I blocked off the EGR tube with a piece of Fel Ram gasket material.

Are you going to remove the intake yourself or do you have a diesel shop that will do it?

I'll have someone do it.

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm also considering dropping the oil pan in hopes of cleaning out any soot sediment. Thoughts on that?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Right after you install your GDE ECM drain off a quart or so of oil, put in a quart of transmission fluid and run the engine for 10 minutes or so. Then do a proper oil change with Valvoline 5W-40 Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic Diesel Engine oil, Rotella T6, or Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck.

The three biggest things you can do are 1 - GDE ECM 2 - Good quality oil 3. Highway driving

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Also, clean your MAF sensor. it is up on top of your intake. Yours is likely dirty from the EGR. They sell MAF sensor cleaner spray at the parts store.

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I have over 500k miles on mine using it commercially transporting TTs for the Mfgs. I to have the GDE tune & recommend it. Don’t miss the turbo brake option. PPEI also has an ECM level tune. I’d just clean the ECM tube with a little carb cleaner it will stay clean after the tune. Removing it might risk your warranty and you want to protect that for the full 100k. Also for the class action law suit money that you should be eligible for to start paying out this summer. I wouldn’t bother with the Banks intake unless you are going to a larger turbo etc and again certainly not until post warranty & settlement. Same with respects to deleting the EGR coolers that usually eventually leak.

Other longevity etc tips. There should be a plug in. It’s hidden at the back top passenger side of the radiator. Just look under the black plastic. It goes to a block heater to heat your engine for quick easy starts in even brutal cold weather and quick warm up and almost immediate fuel efficient running as coolant is already warm. When mine sits over night in freezing temps I try to use it. Same with the winter front grill cover.

Change your oil (Rotella T6 is approved) and filter every 10k & keep receipts to again protect your warranty as well as the motor. Make sure to use a 10k mile rated filter. The warranty on my 14 also required charging of the spin on fuel filter/water separator every 30k. Use the Mopar brand here.

I also bought a simple 2 button Bosch OBD 1000 code reader/clearer found on EBay or internet 30 to $70. First time it saves you a trip or tow to the dealership for a minor issue it will more than pay for itself. Plus give you information and options if you have a minor issue to find out what is wrong and what your options outside of what a dealership may tell you. For example truth is your dealership likely doesn’t have an actual diesel tech and certified on your VM Motori engine. He plugged in his Witech factory scan tools and it said x code is likely injectors. He knowing little about and not knowing or careing to check it out as it’s warranty paid said sure I and the dealership will get paid to change the injectors when odds are their is nothing wrong with them or maybe something like one wasn’t fully seated when plugged in so whatever issue caused you to bring it in may return. You might locate a dealership that sells & services lots of Ram diesel trucks likely a country dealership and use them for future service.

Last these 1st gen EDs tend to develop slow hard to locate coolant leaks over time & miles. Often the EGR cooler or the degas bottle vents. When changing oil or having hood up check the degas tank to make sure coolant isn’t below the seam if it is fill it and if you have to refill it keep it at least to the seam until you get the coolant leak fixed. Otherwise coolant drops in the system and causes hot spots & pressure and starves the water pump before overheating. The only way to know is to watch the degas tank and keep it to the seam as the degas tank won’t go empty no matter how low the radiator/cooling system gets. This is what caused mine to push out a head gasket at 371k.

It’s good to regularly get a diesel to full operating temp say for half an hour or more run to help keep the oil clean by evaporateing moisture & diesel that gets in it. Beyond what I listed here this motor normally doesn’t need anything special to lead a long trouble free life outside of the I’m guessing 3 to 4 percent that have bearing failure prior to 100k hense the protect the warranty, do the above and enjoy the truck. I check in here once and awhile and also moderate on the other ED forum but anyone can PM me here and I’ll reply time provided.

jcole108

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
2016 eco diesel. 1st oil change dealer did they flashed computer, mileage went down and truck started to lag. Called GDE they said we can fix that. New ECM from GDE at around 12000 miles and truck has been great. I change the oil when the computer says it's time and the fuel filter every other time. I had to put another set of tires on it because of the addition of a wench. It added about 110 extra pounds on the nose so the alignment was off. I now have a little over 70000 miles on it and the only other thing I have had to add is washer fluid DEF and about 3/4 of a cup of coolant. Now they want me to take it back to the dealer to have the ECM flashed. Well they will pay me $3075 to do it. I have had my eye on the transmission turn from GDE and the AEM tune update is only $50.00. The trans tune is on sale for $495 so for $545 my truck goes back to normal and I come away with $2530 in my pocket. That is not to bad for sitting at the dealership for a couple of hours. ( mechanic told me to get there early because being on east coast, flashing the computer goes faster until the western dealerships wake up and join in).

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
You. Can try to clean injectors with Hot. shot Diesel Extreme. A past. Forum member had a similar problem. And he tried different products and found this was the best and it helped.