• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REGEN QUESTION

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I just had my rig do its third or fourth regen in 130 miles, I monitor the regens with scangauge 2, soot mass is at 73 when it starts, if I catch it then I will go for a ride to allow it to complete, it's a 2017 RAM ECO, about 19000 miles. should this concern me?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Strange, my GDE tune lets me know at 80%. It is usually around 500 miles (give or take) Not sure why it would do that many in a short period.
Seems like a lot unless it wasn't finishing for some reason?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
With the Scangauge it lets me know when a regen starts and I drive until it finishes UNLESS I have to be somewhere, normally it has been around 75 miles between regens, the only difference I can think of is I filled up with Chevron fuel instead of my usual and had added some HOT SHOTS EXTREME to get started on the 6 month treatment, I add HOTSHOTS everyday at nearly every tank but didn't on this one, I hope GDE comes back into the game soon.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I just had my rig do its third or fourth regen in 130 miles, I monitor the regens with scangauge 2, soot mass is at 73 when it starts, if I catch it then I will go for a ride to allow it to complete, it's a 2017 RAM ECO, about 19000 miles. should this concern me?
Is that city driving!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
It is mostly town, we live in a small town in rural Az, when it starts a regen I always try to let it finish, the only time I won't go for a ride to allow it to finish is IF I have to be somewhere, or if I don't notice it is doing one, I know it starts at about 73 grams or % whatever it happens to be, it seems once it gets above 30 it jumps quick. I know these things don't like the stop & go, it got to 80% one time & that's when I put a gauge in to monitor those things. How exactly does the ECO do a REGEN, the DURAMAX has a 9th injector in the exhaust to burn the soot, what do these use?

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
The Eco Diesel does the same but I have found when I have to do low speed stop /start it will not maintain temperature and drop out of regen mode.
My fix is if I am doing low speed I will shift to manual shifting of the transmission and try to keep the engine revs up around 2,400 rpm which keeps the temperature up in the exhaust system (as seen on the temps in Edge II display).
I find in city low speed running it regens every 60 to 80 miles a real pain. If I miss it and it gets over 80% then I will do manual regen using the regen mode in the Edge II.
The regen system only really works well at high speeds properly then it seems to do it's every 350 miles or so!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Interesting, Mine counts down on the dash as I drive, the display reads 80% 70% etc until I get the region complete message. I have been thinking on getting the Edge II so I don't have to drive out of my way every time I get the message.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The Eco Diesel does the same but I have found when I have to do low speed stop /start it will not maintain temperature and drop out of regen mode.
My fix is if I am doing low speed I will shift to manual shifting of the transmission and try to keep the engine revs up around 2,400 rpm which keeps the temperature up in the exhaust system (as seen on the temps in Edge II display).
I find in city low speed running it regens every 60 to 80 miles a real pain. If I miss it and it gets over 80% then I will do manual regen using the regen mode in the Edge II.
The regen system only really works well at high speeds properly then it seems to do it's every 350 miles or so!
Are you tuned or stock? I have scangauge 2 & monitor soot mass 2 EGT's & regen on or off. If I need to do a manual regen then it's ALFAOBD. I too have done the downshift to keep the revs up some. Normally a regen will complete in about 10 miles on the hiway.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I find regens vary a lot depending on temps and type of driving (local or hiway)
I started tracking with my Edge and started with my latest SFT tunes. SFT pretty much follows OEM regen philosophy. Here's my chart:

Attachments

• 01a-Regen Tracking.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 7

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Stock, no tuning (183,000 km), highway regen goes fast and with out any trouble usually at about 70 % soot level. I spend four month in MX with the highest speed (legal) on the HWY is 80 km/hr so regens come fast
driving around at that speed (to bad they are able to market such a junk system to satisfy Calif.)!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I find regens vary a lot depending on temps and type of driving (local or hiway)
I started tracking with my Edge and started with my latest SFT tunes. SFT pretty much follows OEM regen philosophy. Here's my chart:
How is the SFT tuning, does it kill the throttle lag, what about fuel mileage, does it help, and how is performance? I'm considering tuning but the naming convention of SFT is a little off-putting, looking at a couple of the others, I want exhaust braking & high idle on demand, not just for warm ups.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
How is the SFT tuning, does it kill the throttle lag, what about fuel mileage, does it help, and how is performance? I'm considering tuning but the naming convention of SFT is a little off-putting, looking at a couple of the others, I want exhaust braking & high idle on demand, not just for warm-ups.
SFT does everything it's advertised to do. I've had both GDE and SFT. GDE had longer regen intervals, a big plus but at some cost (higher temps). SFT gets the same mileage and more power off the line, better towing and runs cooler. SFT customer service is outstanding. If you get the SFT TCU tune be sure to get the "Rally" option

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
SFT does everything it's advertised to do. I've had both GDE and SFT. GDE had longer regen intervals, a big plus but at some cost (higher temps). SFT gets the same mileage and more power off the line, better towing and runs cooler. SFT customer service is outstanding. If you get the SFT TCU tune be sure to get the "Rally" option
Thanks, I've been looking at it some, they have both tunes as a package for 100 bucks off, do both tune from the OBD port?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks, I've been looking at it some, they have both tunes as a package for 100 bucks off, do both tune from the OBD port?
Yes. You need a Windows computer to download and upload. Once you have the tunes it's Easy Peasy with the OBD2 handheld touchscreen tuner

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Yes. You need a Windows computer to download and upload. Once you have the tunes it's Easy Peasy with the OBD2 handheld touchscreen tuner
Thank you! I guess with my driving the regens are pretty normal then, just seems excessive.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you! I guess with my driving the regens are pretty normal then, just seems excessive.
I agree. SFT was working on extending the regen interval. I haven't anything recently. Don't know if it's a backburner item, a difficult thing or what.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
As far as the DPF taking increased Active/Stationary Regens/Desoot, the material used is rated to take 2200F 10,000+ times, its equal to Gas Cats that run 1400-1800F their WHOLE life. In others words it will not wear out before the engine does even if hits 1 million miles, LMBO..... it may get plugged with ash but not wear out, Some have cracked but thats not related to heat, and generally happens early in use to be covered by Warranty. I would not be to concerned if all things are in check , just carry on.