• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regens

REcoD

Jun 6, 2016
Truck Year
ok so I know there is already a bunch of posts about regens, and I read a ton of them but still didn't see an answer to my burning question. How do I know if and when my 2015 has performed a regen?

I have 17k miles on it and have never noticed a regen, not have I ever seen any messages pop up on the dash telling me about a regen.

DieselSlug

May 11, 2016
There are different types of regens. The active regens are ones that illuminate on your dash stating the DPF is over a certain % full. That % is 90 I believe. Your truck will perform passive regens when the DPF % reaches 65 as long as a few other parameters are met. The passive regen will go down to 9% or so. This type of regen is not visible to the driver without a monitor such as CTS, ScanGauge or similar.

It sounds like your commute and how you drive your truck allows passive regens to be accomplished so you never get to the point where you are in an active regen. People that make a lot of short trips where the truck is not to operating temp or repeatedly unknowigly shut the truck off/place in park when in a passive regen are more likely to see this message.

REcoD

Jun 6, 2016
Truck Year
There are different types of regens. The active regens are ones that illuminate on your dash stating the DPF is over a certain % full. That % is 90 I believe. Your truck will perform passive regens when the DPF % reaches 65 as long as a few other parameters are met. The passive regen will go down to 9% or so. This type of regen is not visible to the driver without a gauge CTS, ScanGauge or similar.

Thanks DieselSlug. I figured it had to be doing some sort of a regen.

DieselSlug

May 11, 2016
I only have 1,300 miles on my 2016 ED as of today. I will be getting my ScanGauge II back in the next day or two from receiving and update allowing it to read ED parameters. Very curious to see mine also!

REcoD

Jun 6, 2016
Truck Year
I only have 1,300 miles on my 2016 ED as of today. I will be getting my ScanGauge II back in the next day or two from receiving and update allowing it to read ED parameters. Very curious to see mine also!

What is the scan guage?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Saw this on another forum.

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Reactions: EOC

REcoD

Jun 6, 2016
Truck Year
That was a great resource John. Thank you.

DieselSlug

May 11, 2016
That was a great resource John. Thank you.

It is considered a multi-function vehicle monitor. Keeps track of fuel consumption, monitors vitals of your engine, reads and erases any codes.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

In my old 5.4L F250:
IMG_2335_zpsnbjhtsoe.jpg