• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacing light socket = errors??

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
So on my 16 Lone Star, it originally came with standard tail lights with the older style filament bulbs. I really didn't shake down the truck very long before it went down for almost a year - so I can't really say if I had this error before, but I did replace the bulbs with Sylvania Xevo LED bulbs as I've always had great "Drop in, error-free replacement" luck with them on several vehicles in the past. On this truck, I'd always get a "tail light out" error every time I hit the brakes when the parking/headlights were on. Turns out it was always the left rear that would throw this error. I thought "Well, maybe my luck ran out," so I tried another set that were guaranteed "Error free" (yeah I know, doesn't mean much these days). Those did the same thing.

I tried to wire in a load resistor, same issue. I tried a completely new set of tail lights with built in resistors ...same issue. Tried a second set of the other tail light housings ... same issue.

One thing I've kept from you ... the wiring harness for the left rear taillight was replaced with what appears to be a generic socket (maybe a Dorman one). It appears to be a "fair" repair, but I'm curious ... perhaps the socket itself.. or the wiring for that socket itself is doing something to throw the BCM off and giving me the error? Anyone experience anything like that? :unsure:

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Turns out whoever owned my rig before me wired a replacement 3157 socket completely wrong - the stationary/park wire was on the ground wire, the signal wire was on the stationary/park wire, and the ground was turn signal wire. Small miracle it even worked with an incandescent bulb, but the LED setup wasn't having it. Took a few minutes with a multi-meter and all is well.