• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rust Preventative

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Can any of you in the salt belt recommend a product for a DIY undercarriage coating?

Have you ever done this? How did you apply it?

With the salt & '5 nasty lines' season approaching, (pre-treatment they put on our roads here for you southern people), I'd like to coat the underside of my truck. Not too crazy about passing it off to someone to do, it's expensive, & the nearest place it 60 miles away. Looking for some advice & product recommendation from you knowledgeable folks. Thanks.

-Brady

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just did mine last week, it will take you 10 cans, a throwaway tshirt, a couple pairs of gloves, a cheap pair of safety glasses, a little box of doctors office exam gloves and 1 hour of your time and 1 night to dry, I went to home Depot and picked up a bunch of rust oleum spray on rubbercoating, which is the same stuff I used when we did that at the chevrolet dealer and did pretty much my whole undercarriage. Once you start there's no stopping you. You should have it all done for under $50 and youl have better pride knowing it was done better than anyone else. And ups driver it's really something you'll be able to handle. It made a big difference already in road noise and to me it dosnt look like much was even painted at all. It really needs 2 coats, but I'll just redo it again next year and it will turn out even better

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I appreciate the info Shawn. I've thought about using the rubberized coating before. Might go that route.

-Brady

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's the same stuff we used at the dealerships but just in a consumer grade. The stuff we used was like tar in this quart bottle and we used paint thinner to cut it. So what you buy yourself is actually better. That's why when you get it done at the dealer it completely disappears in the couple years.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Have you ever used fluid film or the like on a vehicle?

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
POR 15 makes an under coating...I have used their rust stop products before and they work awesome....you can buy on eastwood.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Hmmm. I'll take a look, thank you. I was unaware of POR making anything but a rust stop product.

RAMNIT

Oct 11, 2015
Truck Year
Guys check this out,had it done last fall and plan on having it done yearly.
Approved by the military for rust prevention and it only cost around $100.00 to get it done.The only drawback is I had to drive several hours to get to their location which is near Buffalo N.Y.
The stuff reminded me of tranny fluid and they spray it EVERYWHERE.
http://www.carwell.com/index.htm

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The undercoating I got from the dealer seems to be applied pretty liberally it looks decent under there.

The package was lifetime warranty on rust/corrosion. I'm in Minnesota, rust happens and you can't stop it. But I figured it was worth the 1000$ to stick it to the dealer 6-8 years down the road when it does start to rust.

Because ultimately it will.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Went ahead and ordered a 2 gallon Fluid Film kit. Supposedly enough for mine and a buddie's truck. I upgraded the spray gun and added a 24" flexible extension wand. Came to about $175 shipped. So for $87.50, I should be covered for the season. Small price to pay for corrosion prevention here in the Rust Belt. I'll update this thread after application.

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/fluidfilmkits

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well I got it done today. 1 gallon was enough for my EcoD and a friends '11 CCSB 2500 Hemi. Took about 3 hours total to do. Very satisfied with the product so far. Time will be the real teller.

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
Damn that stuff look like it is good for all sorts of apps.. including lawnmowers.. I have a some large mowers too. Great info.. thanks for posting more info added to what have I learned list !!! you all should take some video or pictures during the application.. or fixing things.. and post them here too!!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I used my friends lift to get the truck in the air and just sprayed whole underside like I was painting a car. Then attached the flexible want to get inside the frame, over the wheel wells, and through the rocker panel access holes. And any other area I couldn't get with just the gun. Also used the aerosol can on the tailgate hinges, along bottom of bed side, and the trailer pin connectors.

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I have a friend with a lift.. that is a life saver .. Living in IL rust and salt go together so you info came at the right time.. I was actuall having a conversation about the underneath of truck today.. and wanting to get it up on the lift and clean it.. to help keep it looking new.. My friend thinks I am nuts because I dust it every day and once a week open the hood and wash or dust what ever is needed in there to.. but getting underneath the truck is hard for me.. I have metal joints in both hips and knees and one ankle I don't like having to get on the ground..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
The undercarriage looks pretty well protected from the factory. But as you know, one winter and its toast. Be warned tho, this stuff doesn't dry. It'll stay shiny and wet for a long time. Will collect some dust. It's ok tho because it's protecting your investment.