• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Electronic Throttle Control: Anyone else dealing with this issue

Seedling

Feb 27, 2019
Truck Year
I have a issue with my 2016 Eco-diesel. I lost acceleration at points in my driving and then got a message " Service Electronic Throttle Control " I have 113000 km on my vehicle so warranty is up by 13000 km. Contacted Dodge to see if they could do anything of coarse the answer was "NO". Even though the soot must have been building up before the light came on. I would like to know how many people this has happened to. This should be a recall cause it is a safety concern if your vehicle fails to accelerate in an intersection this could become a deadly situation.

If you have gotten the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" or are starting to lose power while driving please comment

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We've got a ton of threads around this. Seems to be no permanent solution that I've come across.. many people find different things will fix the issue, and others still get the message from time to time...

PM57

Mar 10, 2019
Truck Year
I have had the same problem, check engine light, says service electronic throttle. as well as code P0299-00 turbocharger under boost.
The dealer couldn't get it in to check out / clear the code so I took it to a private shop I use. They cleared the code and showed me there is a service bulletin about this problem, 18-017-19, basically a computer re-flash is required so says the service bulletin.

I am waiting for the dealer to get me in to have it done.

Kenposteel

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
My Service Electronic Throttle Control light came on yesterday for the first time. I have a 2015 eco-diesel and up to this point, no complaints about the truck at all. I have 107k miles on it. It appears this is going to be a problem.

clarabelle30

Mar 18, 2019
Truck Year
One month ago the Service Electronic Throttle control warning came on as engine began throttling down while at freeway speeds with my entire family in the truck. Pulled over, shut off engine, waited, restarted engine a couple times and worked fine after that. Then check engine light came on, took to dealer, needed a $400 sensor (of course) and worked fine until this past weekend when it refused to go above 10 mph upon take off. Pedal to the floor and she chugged along at 10 mph. Immediately began doing research as soon as i got home and cleaned the EGR diffuser. Truck ran great after cleaned all the shoot up after that and then experienced the same problem this morning on my way to work...wouldn't go above 10 mph. The thing that worries me is i only have 45k on my truck. My truck seems like everyone else i am seeing with this issue is close to or over 100k. Seriously starting to do more research on an EGR delete and tune. Bought this truck to last me not to have to dump or buy a new engine before i even hit 100k!! So frustrated.

KnikAK

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
I was in the mountains and the truck felt like it was losing power & gave it more pedal, when the throttle hung up. It wouldn't decelerate when I lifted my foot, so I stabbed the pedal thinking it hung up, only increased the power/speed. I turned cruise off with no difference, finally stood on the brakes and shut the engine off. Restarted the truck, check engine light was on. I revved the engine in park, no problems until 45 mph or so and same thing happened, shut down and waited 5 minutes, gave me time to settle down. It happened a 3rd time at 55 mph. The problem always happened going up hill. The check engine lights reset and haven't had the problem again. Dealership said something about 2 footing, which I don't do. They're trying to duplicate the problem and not having any luck, did load the latest updates, which doesn't address the problem. The truck has always seemed like a dog especially around town or in the mountains. When taking off from dead stop, seems like have to give lots of throttle to keep up with traffic, lots of turbo lag before building enough boost.
I also have '03 Ram/Cummins and I know its not fare comparison, but this '18 is a real dog. I'm hoping the ETC was out of spec, but I fear this is the beginning of nothing but troubles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Most 3.0s will experience Service Electronic Throttle Control, in the end it will cost $2-3+K to resolve.

With the AEM and the service contract extended to 10/120 or 4/48 you need to keep the truck Stock until you receive the settlement payout....IMO the AEM is going to expedite the problems associated with the 3.0.

To resolve the Service Electronic Throttle Control in most cases will require New EGR/Plenum replacement.

The sooner you defeat the EGR the better, Defeating the EGR will NOT reverse the existing problems.

At minimum you will need to clean the MAP Sensor.

Image result for ecodiesel intake plenum soot

Image result for ecodiesel intake plenum soot

Last edited:

KnikAK

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
Since my truck is new & I did get extended warranty that covers this emissions headaches, have to stay stock for now. This local dealership wasn't able to duplicate the sticky throttle issue, to their credit they did keep mine overnight trying to get it to throw a code. The update did make the truck feel like it runs stronger, will see what happens.