• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"Service Shifter" Warning

megawatt1203

Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
2017 Ram ecodiesel, 40,000K, wouldn't start today. Engine would start to turn over and then stop, like a dead battery. Checked battery volts at 12.4V, seemed a little low so replaced battery. Same issue with new battery. Noticed lights flashing and changing from Park, reverse, neutral and so on on instrument panel on there own. "Service Shifter " warning started flashing. Held shift knob to far left in park and truck started. Tried to take it for test drive and after about 100' truck abruptly came to a stop and returned to park. Slowly backed up driveway in reverse while truck shifted itself to park several times while doing so. Have codes U0402 and U3017. U0402 "invalid data received from transmission control module". I guess i will have it towed to dealer tomorrow, scared to drive it if I could even get it in gear. Tried searching but could not find this happening to anyone else. At least I bought an extended warranty!

megawatt1203

Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
Replaced transmission module, but did not fix problem. Ended up finding corroded wire in connection to transmission module. Kudos to the dealership for finding and fixing problem. Intermittent wire problems can be tough to find. I often pressure wash my undercarriage during winter months due to a lot of snow driving with sand and grit. Not sure I caused problem, but will be more careful from now on.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Replaced transmission module, but did not fix problem. Ended up finding corroded wire in connection to transmission module. Kudos to the dealership for finding and fixing problem. Intermittent wire problems can be tough to find. I often pressure wash my undercarriage during winter months due to a lot of snow driving with sand and grit. Not sure I caused problem, but will be more careful from now on.

If I remember correctly, that wiring harness/module can be exposed and cause random issues like you mentioned. I'll try and find some posts.
Glad they took care of you and found the problem though!

Meatplow

Feb 10, 2024
Truck Year
My 2015 had/has corroded plugs from the ecm on down. Dealerships replaced all kinds of stuff until they found the issue and on 2014-15 ecodiesels its bad. Oh they replaced the tcu and def tank…..also the fuel filter housing for no reason. Keep an eye on the wiring harness.