• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

servicing my zf-8hp70 myself

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
well i purchased the oil pan and filter Assembly and it comes with the gasket and bolts, parts dept said i also needed the gasket,not so, he opened the box an it is part of the pan with bolts.$199, he also said i needed 9 qts of zf 8 oil at $36 a qt,not so. those are specs for a dry transmission, a drop and fill is 6qts (so don't get sloppy) i have 30,000 on my truck but i tow a 6000lb rv so i will do a drop and fill with zf fluid this time because of warranty. then again when its out of warranty with amsoil or or a good synthetic . i watched the videos on a drop and fill and the secret is not to let the oil get too hot because the trans cooler thermostat will open and raise your fluid level and waste fluid, keep it above 86deg and below 125degrees. i do hate paying that much for oil but if i have a warranty issue i want zf oil in it and not amsoil or any other red tinted oil in it. dealer wanst just under $900 to do a drop and fill $300 of it is labor , do it myself $415 and it looks fairly basic if you follow the directions.. i will post pics of what i find if out of ordinary..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Valvoline Max life is certified replacement ATF for 8HP70. Myself and others have been using it. The certification was granted By ZF.

Attachments

• Max life.jpg
    Max life.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 40

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
if that is the case red tint can be present through the warranty period with out issues correct?

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
ordered a new ppp trans pan with a replaceable filter, holds 2 extra qts of oil which will be quantum blue, should all arrive after the holidays, i will update

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
pan finally showed today, still waiting on the oil, epoxied the 4 magnets on the inside edges of new pan, the drain plug also has a magnetDSCF0358.JPG DSCF0359.JPG

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
the truck trans temp ran about 185 to 195 with stock pan, 195 to 225 towing my 6000lb nash, hope to bring it down about 10 to15 degrees, plus it has a replaceable filter about $27 a lot cheaper than $200, i plan to service every 30,000 not 100,000 as per dealer, i would not run my turbo 400 trans in my 1990 gmc 100,000 miles with out an oil and filter change. why would i do it to my 2015 ram?

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
pan installed waiting for oil, i will post my trans temp when done,

Attachments

• DSCF0365.JPG
    DSCF0365.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0366.JPG
    DSCF0366.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0361.JPG
    DSCF0361.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 73

dingdangit

Dec 14, 2017
Truck Year
That is the PPE pan at which I have been looking. Was wondering about the filter # but see it is stamped on the inside of the pan. Is that the filter in the pan in the first picture? Any difficulty in getting the filter and pan to mate with the tranny?
Thanks for the great post!

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
filter comes installed with pan, you do have to reuse the 13 sleeves and bolts and gasket, worked great no leaks, when i drop again in 30,000 to replace filter i will replace the gasket and bolts and reuse the same sleeves, install went easy, a few bolts were hard to get to with torque wrench i had to guess still easy, just make sure you have a inch pound wrench and do not over torque, and tighten in sequence, fill cold until it just starts to come out of fill hole, then set brake and start, i started filling the remaining fluid at about 95 degrees and took about 2 1/2 quarts until it started to come out of plug hole the the temp was about 105 degrees, sounds hard but it is very easy, test drove and waited til it cooled back down to recheck at 105 degrees level was great.... zf says to fill between 86 deg and 126 until it starts coming out of fill hole so thought 105 was a good spot.. put about 100 miles on it and noticed it runs about 5 to 8 degrees cooler not towing of coarse, i went ahead and purchased an extra filter just because you never know..p.s refilled with quantum blue

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
just got my PPE trans pan and a case of ams oil ATF, will in stall next week.

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
you can use your old gasket and bolts, torgue is 89 inch lbs, 105 degrees is where i stopped , fluid was trickling out,about 6 and a half quarts, i rechecked it the next day at 105 deg and it was perfect, it says 86 to 122 not 126 like i post above... good luck...

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
installed today, used 6 qts. I will top off tomorrow .the new pan looks so much better than the plastic original pan. thanks for the help guys.

Marl Ward

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
Valvoline Max life is certified replacement ATF for 8HP70. Myself and others have been using it. The certification was granted By ZF.
wonder if the dealer will put this in the manual as a supplement or we can get that in writing from ZF so if there are issues done the road they said it. Remember if it isn't in writing, i have been told it never happened

rene.moreno

Apr 6, 2018
Truck Year
filter comes installed with pan, you do have to reuse the 13 sleeves and bolts and gasket, worked great no leaks, when i drop again in 30,000 to replace filter i will replace the gasket and bolts and reuse the same sleeves, install went easy, a few bolts were hard to get to with torque wrench i had to guess still easy, just make sure you have a inch pound wrench and do not over torque, and tighten in sequence, fill cold until it just starts to come out of fill hole, then set brake and start, i started filling the remaining fluid at about 95 degrees and took about 2 1/2 quarts until it started to come out of plug hole the the temp was about 105 degrees, sounds hard but it is very easy, test drove and waited til it cooled back down to recheck at 105 degrees level was great.... zf says to fill between 86 deg and 126 until it starts coming out of fill hole so thought 105 was a good spot.. put about 100 miles on it and noticed it runs about 5 to 8 degrees cooler not towing of coarse, i went ahead and purchased an extra filter just because you never know..p.s refilled with quantum blue

rene.moreno

Apr 6, 2018
Truck Year
Hi,
Do you have pictures of the 13 sleeves? What are you referring to? I just installed the PPE pan with existing gasket and bolts.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
well i purchased the oil pan and filter Assembly and it comes with the gasket and bolts, parts dept said i also needed the gasket,not so, he opened the box an it is part of the pan with bolts.$199, he also said i needed 9 qts of zf 8 oil at $36 a qt,not so. those are specs for a dry transmission, a drop and fill is 6qts (so don't get sloppy) i have 30,000 on my truck but i tow a 6000lb rv so i will do a drop and fill with zf fluid this time because of warranty. then again when its out of warranty with amsoil or or a good synthetic . i watched the videos on a drop and fill and the secret is not to let the oil get too hot because the trans cooler thermostat will open and raise your fluid level and waste fluid, keep it above 86deg and below 125degrees. i do hate paying that much for oil but if i have a warranty issue i want zf oil in it and not amsoil or any other red tinted oil in it. dealer wanst just under $900 to do a drop and fill $300 of it is labor , do it myself $415 and it looks fairly basic if you follow the directions.. i will post pics of what i find if out of ordinary..
A dry Transmission uses 9 qts, a drop and fill 6qts. Where are the other 3 qts? Does it mean there is still 3 qts of dirty Fluid in the Tranny?

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
A dry Transmission uses 9 qts, a drop and fill 6qts. Where are the other 3 qts? Does it mean there is still 3 qts of dirty Fluid in the Tranny?

Good question, I would like to know how one gets the other 3 quarts out for full replacement.....

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good question, I would like to know how one gets the other 3 quarts out for full replacement.....
During a pan drop and refill, you cannot get the other 3 Qts, out. It is mostly held up in the torque converter, plumbing, and internal parts. The best way to get rid of if is through multiple changes over time as a regular maintenance item.