• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SFT & GDE Comparison

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I posted this on another forum. For the reasons stated I thought it might be useful here as well.

It seems the AEM flash has created a rush for tunes for which there seems to be some confusion. So I made a comparison chart to help. My data is from the tunes' web sites and forums. If anyone wants to add items or comments I please do as I would like it to be as complete and unbiased as possible.

Attachments

• GDE & SFT Comparison.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 179

John

Nov 13, 2015
Nice job.
Double check the EGR-off as an option with GDE. I didn't think it was optional, but not 100% sure.
Dealer Detectable with GDE? I think if the dealer sent it off to FCA for analysis, it could be detected. I think FCA could figure out it was different than stock but maybe not specifically that it's GDE.
Both tunes could have tell tale signs such as turbo brake, high idle, cruise control speed, ECS off, etc.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hi John

Thanks for the response. Good points but at this point, I'm not inclined to change my data for the following reasons.

Double check the EGR-off as an option with GDE. I didn't think it was optional, but not 100% sure.
SFT you have to select EGR-off. If I recall correctly GDE will leave EGR-on if you request it (a rare request).

Dealer Detectable with GDE? I think if the dealer sent it off to FCA for analysis, it could be detected. I think FCA could figure out it was different than stock but maybe not specifically that it's GDE.
Both tunes could have tell tale signs such as turbo brake, high idle, cruise control speed, ECS off, etc.
I agree. I entered "No" based on GDE's own statements. I'm in no position to refute their claim.

The last time I called GDE they would only say, "we don't support California".

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Some have asked for an update on my tune comparisons. Here it is:

Note the important comment
* Return SFT tune to stock b/4 dlr flash or tuner will lockup ($150.00 to unlock)

Attachments

• GDE & SFT Comparison.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 89

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Can I use wireless adaptor to tune with sofaking?
You need to connect to the SFT site, I don't believe it cares how you got there.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You would have to ask SFT that question

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
So John, what will you do with the CARB form from GDE ?
I filled it out and sent it to GDE the day I received it.

Why the question ❔?

M.A.

Nov 29, 2019
Truck Year
I filled it out and sent it to GDE the day I received it.

Why the question ❔?
[/QUOT
what I learned from your post your ED tune is a SFT one after you had the GDE? If I’m right. Someone had a point that fi SFT will ...let say disappear you will end up with no support to flash back to OM setting. Compared with GDE you can keep your OM ECM and sweep it in when you need it (for going to the dealer). What is your position about this? I’m just trying to learn about all this ECM tunes pros and cons. Mine is a 2018 less than 10k miles on it and have a lot of warranty remaining. I will love tu get the benefits from SFT stage 1 but I’m not clear yet about been catch in the chase need a repair under warranty

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
With SFTs new ECUTouchscreen tuner you have you're OoEM tune and SFT tunes 🎵 in hand. You can restore and retune is needed

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
John with SKT rally feature do you have to plug in the hand held programmer to get the rally tune to work? I got the trans tune and rally tune and when I downloaded the trans tune I saw the trans stock tune , the tuned trans tune and the rally tune. So It seems as if you have to flash the module each time? Or is there away to go from rally to tune some other way? I havent tried the rally yet.Thanks

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John with SKT rally feature do you have to plug in the hand held programmer to get the rally tune to work? I got the trans tune and rally tune and when I downloaded the trans tune I saw the trans stock tune , the tuned trans tune and the rally tune. So It seems as if you have to flash the module each time? Or is there away to go from rally to tune some other way? I havent tried the rally yet.Thanks
If you got the Rally option it is in the TCU tune. You turn Rally on or off by tapping your Traction Control button.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
If you got the Rally option it is in the TCU tune. You turn Rally on or off by tapping your Traction Control button.
Ok so I drove it with the traction control off and had myself kind of thinking it was different then got home and thought maybe I should plug back in the handheld. And when I did I hit the tune button it said continue to write file I hit yes it took me to the menu where the stock ,tuned, and rally options are .I notice that a (*) was by tuned file so I assumed that was what was on the truck so I high lighted rally and hit enter and it flash the truck. So obviously I didnt install the rally tune the first time and that makes since because it's a add on. I havent drove it yet . I hate being that guy who is speeding around in the neighborhood (That was me earlier thinking I had the rally tune installed).
I think SKT needs to put out a how to book for dummies cause I think theres alot of confusion out there and maybe some people are on my dummies level at least I hope so I cant be alone right ? Ha ha . Anyway I ll report back with the results

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
What I noticed with the SKT trans rally tune was a higher shift ponit around 2800 rpms.Anyone else want to comment? I havent towed with it yet I read somewhere it helped when towing.
I had GDE hot tune since may of 2015 when I bought from GDE they said it add 8 -10 hp but I was buying it for the egr shut off like everyone else.
That being said you can feel more power with SKT Tune.
I would have stuck with GDE they had great customer service the best in my opinion. But we all know what happened California got screwed first when I called they didnt nothing to do with anyone in Cali I found out I couldnt get updates or nothing. So that kind of pissed me off. They always said "we will be here for you to answer any Questions". As time went they decided not only to go back on their word but the decided to give their customers information to CARB. Let me say I get it that they could no longer sell to California but to not answer their phone when they could of just told us what was happening instead we were left in the dark.
I am 47 I was raised not to be a snitch and I personally cant accept the fact that they would turn over their customers names and information . I know nothing has came of it yet but why would you want to have your customers put in a position cause of something they supposedly did wrong? Which in my opinion they did nothing wrong because I took my truck and got it smuggled it passed. So for CARB to say they did something wrong is B.S. plus it said for off road use only. I kept my original ecm and installed and used it off road only and I am sure most of you did to right? See my ponit?
GDE as far as I am concerned might as well just stay not selling in the US. cause they are not going to get any of my business and I dont have a problem telling everyone why.
I'll stay loyal to SKT even if their customer service sucks I emailed them told them to just have a chick with a hot voice tell us they are working on it . I always feel better when some chick tells me she doesnt know anything you kind I of expect it. What people dont like is a recording telling you to email them to set up a phone apponitment after you spent a 1000$ .
And by the way it wasnt to difficult to tune the motor but the trans tune I had to download and email them the file .Just remember even though it says you can tune right out of the box always update the handheld after you download the SKT program on your computer. Do the engine tune first and expect to wait a few days for them to tune and send back the transmission tune file.Also the buttons on the handheld work better if you use a credit card to push on the arrows instead of your finger. And I couldnt find anything telling you how to active or use the rally tune and a member here John told me to push the traction control button when the TCS is off the rally tune is on.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What I noticed with the SKT trans rally tune was a higher shift ponit around 2800 rpms.Anyone else want to comment? I havent towed with it yet I read somewhere it helped when towing.
I had GDE hot tune since may of 2015 when I bought from GDE they said it add 8 -10 hp but I was buying it for the egr shut off like everyone else.
That being said you can feel more power with SKT Tune.
I would have stuck with GDE they had great customer service the best in my opinion. But we all know what happened California got screwed first when I called they didnt nothing to do with anyone in Cali I found out I couldnt get updates or nothing. So that kind of pissed me off. They always said "we will be here for you to answer any Questions". As time went they decided not only to go back on their word but the decided to give their customers information to CARB. Let me say I get it that they could no longer sell to California but to not answer their phone when they could of just told us what was happening instead we were left in the dark.
I am 47 I was raised not to be a snitch and I personally cant accept the fact that they would turn over their customers names and information . I know nothing has came of it yet but why would you want to have your customers put in a position cause of something they supposedly did wrong? Which in my opinion they did nothing wrong because I took my truck and got it smuggled it passed. So for CARB to say they did something wrong is B.S. plus it said for off road use only. I kept my original ecm and installed and used it off road only and I am sure most of you did to right? See my ponit?
GDE as far as I am concerned might as well just stay not selling in the US. cause they are not going to get any of my business and I dont have a problem telling everyone why.
I'll stay loyal to SKT even if their customer service sucks I emailed them told them to just have a chick with a hot voice tell us they are working on it . I always feel better when some chick tells me she doesnt know anything you kind I of expect it. What people dont like is a recording telling you to email them to set up a phone apponitment after you spent a 1000$ .
And by the way it wasnt to difficult to tune the motor but the trans tune I had to download and email them the file .Just remember even though it says you can tune right out of the box always update the handheld after you download the SKT program on your computer. Do the engine tune first and expect to wait a few days for them to tune and send back the transmission tune file.Also the buttons on the handheld work better if you use a credit card to push on the arrows instead of your finger. And I couldnt find anything telling you how to active or use the rally tune and a member here John told me to push the traction control button when the TCS is off the rally tune is on.
I agree with all you said. Seems that the SFT complaints have been relative to phone calls. I have had better service from SFT than I ever had with GDE but I always email SFT, never via the phone.