• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SFT Tuning Vs. Box Tunes.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Perhaps you mean downshift. The torque converter is always locked in 8th gear.
John,
It's been a long time since I've been in a stock mode where my Edge would show what gear I am in and whether it is locked or unlocked. I can't say for certain (memory fart) that the 8th gear unlocked. You say 8th is always locked, I'll accept that. FYI - With the SFT TCM tune, all gears are always locked, never unlock.

Thanks for the correction :)

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
John,
It's been a long time since I've been in a stock mode where my Edge would show what gear I am in and whether it is locked or unlocked. I can't say for certain (memory fart) that the 8th gear unlocked. You say 8th is always locked, I'll accept that. FYI - With the SFT TCM tune, all gears are always locked, never unlock.

Don’t shoot me, but did you consider GDE trans tune before you purchase this one?

John

Nov 13, 2015
John,

Yes even the stock tune will lock all gears including first. Of course it has to unlock when not moving. I believe 2 & ? also allow some unlocking.

Last edited:

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Installed the SFT today, stage 1 I think it's called with the trans tune, was easy, took 10 minutes. I only have 40 miles on the truck since install, trans shifts just great, shifts earlier very smooth, power hard to tell I didn't punch it, appears to be smother at idle, my truck ran fine but now it's even better, the lag is completely gone

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
Still super happy with my SFT tranny tune, its been about 2 weeks now, normally when the trucks in regen i loose mpg like crazy! on the evic

I just finished a regen, thanks johnjensen for some tips, my dpf was stuck at 100% and finally got it to regen and read 8% again, but wow my evic mpg is still in the 28

before it would drop like a rock for 10-15 mins it was regen, like loose 1-2+ mpg on evic for sure.

also im still getting 28 cruising 70-75mph - just amazing what a tranny tune did - i cant believe it nor will anybody else till they try it

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
all right today, i was late to a appointment so I just had to smash throttle everywhere, usually I drive like a granny trying to maintain the evic mpg.

I smashed everywhere like 80+ on freeway and speeding through all the local roads, started at 28.1 and only dropped it down to 27.9.... pre tranny tune this woulda dropped me to like 26-27 ez (15 miles cold engine/tranny on freeway)

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
Lol more shit flinging on the other forum from the gde fanbois again, if you dig deep enough you will find ppl years ago claiming gde took/rework Celtics tune as well.

The other forum is paid for by gde it seems, every thread is gde or the hwy, without informing everyone that the tune is illegal for on road use.

Love how fanbois have pics of posts from gde shitting on the other tune just saved on the their hard drives for what??? To shame those who don't tune gde lol, seriously pathetic, and if you read it's all he said she said, their does this but ours is better because we don't do that lol.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Lol more shit flinging on the other forum from the gde fanbois again, if you dig deep enough you will find ppl years ago claiming gde took/rework Celtics tune as well.

The other forum is paid for by gde it seems, every thread is gde or the hwy, without informing everyone that the tune is illegal for on road use.

Love how fanbois have pics of posts from gde shitting on the other tune just saved on the their hard drives for what??? To shame those who don't tune gde lol, seriously pathetic, and if you read it's all he said she said, their does this but ours is better because we don't do that lol.
Lol

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year

I've just started the process of shopping for a tuner or something to give me more power and better fuel MPG while not towing my travel trailer. GDE says "sold out". Is this due to the Government making tuners illegal? Does "Sold out" mean no longer selling? What are my options or am I too late to the game?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
"Sold Out" means they got a visit from the EPA and will no longer be selling that tune. They are working on a "compliant" tune.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I've just started the process of shopping for a tuner or something to give me more power and better fuel MPG while not towing my travel trailer. GDE says "sold out". Is this due to the Government making tuners illegal? Does "Sold out" mean no longer selling? What are my options or am I too late to the game?
I was BLESSED to get a tune from GDE the week after Labor Day .

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
yes, now would be a good time to buy an ecu to keep in case you ever go to the dealer, if you lose what you have now from a dealer flash, you can't get it back...... just saying...

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
yes, now would be a good time to buy an ecu to keep in case you ever go to the dealer, if you lose what you have now from a dealer flash, you can't get it back...... just saying...
Thanks CDS but I've already done the lawsuit update. I'm one of the lucky ones that actually gained MPG's after the factory update. I just purchased a new travel trailer and it is right at (fully loaded) my trucks tow limit and was just looking for something that might help get me a little more tow power.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Now I WISHED I had bought the a extra ECM before all this started with the EPA killing all the aftermarket tunes.

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
If you're talking about A banks bullet it's an excellent product but it will not stop your EGR from destroying your motor. The best my truck has ever run was with the banks bullet,

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
But the whole time the EGR was gumming up my map sensor my manifold, swirl valves etc. Slowly destroying the motor, quickly destroying mileage and performance

GlockandRoll

Jul 3, 2018
Truck Year
So, it seems like a good idea would be to go with a tune like GDE/SFT, etc.. then use the banks bullet to monitor and add performance on the fly?