• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I buy one?

MontyASU

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone I wanted to get some honest opinions. I currently have a 2015 with the 5.7. It is a base model no frills like at all. With my level and 34in tires I am only getting about 17mpg if I'm nice to it. I have a jumping jack trailer i use to tow my rzr, about 5000lbs total, and when I tow I get less than 10mpg down to 6-7 in the mountains. I want a nicer truck with better mileage and started looking at the ED and a cummins. With a cummins ibget probably same mileage as a DD and better mileage towing. With the ED I get much better mileage DD and up to 14ish while towing. After reading the forums I'm a little concerned at the reliability of the ED. Would be able to get a tune right off the lot but still concerned. So would you get the cummins and suffer the lower DD mileage or get the ED and tune it right away. Either would be laramie trim level.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome to the group if u buy a good one it will b great but there is no way 2 tell good from bad

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone I wanted to get some honest opinions. I currently have a 2015 with the 5.7. It is a base model no frills like at all. With my level and 34in tires I am only getting about 17mpg if I'm nice to it. I have a jumping jack trailer i use to tow my rzr, about 5000lbs total, and when I tow I get less than 10mpg down to 6-7 in the mountains. I want a nicer truck with better mileage and started looking at the ED and a cummins. With a cummins ibget probably same mileage as a DD and better mileage towing. With the ED I get much better mileage DD and up to 14ish while towing. After reading the forums I'm a little concerned at the reliability of the ED. Would be able to get a tune right off the lot but still concerned. So would you get the cummins and suffer the lower DD mileage or get the ED and tune it right away. Either would be laramie trim level.
I would wait a couple years before investing on a new dodge EcoDiesel they totally rebuilt the motor for 2020 models after going thru the headaches with my...2015 ED ?? I would hold off and Let them work out the bugs the first year... we pull a 5th wheel with ours 10000lbs she handled beautifully before the the update 😞

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Laramie with the flash completed, I get 26-27 mpg. I tow a 6000lb travel trailer with no issues. The truck has gone in for a few issues, all covered under the extended warranty from the lawsuit. Each time the dealer provided a loaner either from the lot or from a local car rental place. I won't tune my truck and potentially sacrifice any of the warranty. As I didn't own the truck before the flash I don't know what the performance was like. I can say I'm very satisfied with the truck. Having a dealer with a knowledgeable service department is a plus as well. If the service department is not up to speed on the ED and/or the Cummings, I would either not get one or go to a different dealer with a knowledgeable service department.

MontyASU

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
This makes it so hard for me. I have found some good ED and cummins in my price range. I dont want to buy the ED and run into nothing but problems and be replacing things often. At this point I'm not sure what to decide.