• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I buy the extended warranty coverage?

Juan Bello

Dec 4, 2015
Truck Year
So after reading countless threads regarding sudden engine failures and Oil coolers mixing with coolant. I am considering buying the extended coverage just to ensure I get a rental if something bad happens and no excuses of certain items not covered.

I also have a habit of trading out of cars between 3 to 4 Years. So I ask the question should I purchase the supplemental coverage or just wing it and trade into a new model into the future?

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
If you already plan to dump it after a few years...you will still be covered under power train so I wouldn't worry about it.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Depends on the mileage, I think power train coverage is 100,00 KM or 60,000 miles. Regular warranty is 60,000 KM. I think... I never bought extended coverage as I usually start trading in about 3 year and just under 100,000 km. However, I was hoping to go longer with the diesel. I'm over 18,000 km now. All is well, so far.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
With all the electronics in these trucks not covered under the power train warranty and with all the bad experiences I've had and am having I say yes

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
i can understand that... With FCA not providing stats and being mum, it does make you hesitate and ponder the purchase of extended warranty.

If I happen to experience some drastic failure, I would be trading in asap after truck repaired under warranty and would say adios FCA and will go with another brand. I would warm all my circle of contacts, to avoid FCA.

Probably go gas as good diesel mechanics seems to be at a premium in lots of areas. Especially in Rural areas.

My boys each have the F150, 2014 and F150 2015 (aluminium body), they are testing and in the same mileage bracket as me. So far, like me, it running good.

It seems they can tow way better than my EcoDiesel but fuel economy is not as good as my EcoDiesel, but the price of diesel engine makes it even or as good.

They do like the steering on my Ram better than their Ford. I notice if I hit a bump a certain way, it can feel the truck jumps sideways a tiny bit, not an issue, but I think, that can be duplicated with all trucks.

They are aware on the Forums of EcoBoost (Turbo) soot buildup after many miles. Engine drives cold/warm, even after a long trip. It seems you need to work the truck, which they do.

I was originally looking at a Tundra and have several friends that had no issue and gas not a big concern.

I'm hoping that I won't need to go that route. Due to reports, on this forum with engine failure and oil coolants, I probably will start monitoring the oil temperatures, and see what range of temperature it runs. From the post, it doesn't seem you get much warning. It just happens, so may not be much of a benefit.

So far, almost at 19000 KM, second fill up with Shell V-power diesel, all is well....

Last edited:

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I've got 41,500 miles horizontally and several more vertical on the rack from all the problems, bad heater hose connection from the factory, 3 third break light leaks, scr replaced at 20,000 miles, a lot of repeated codes that they can't figure out and then just seem to go away on their own, had a p085 one day wouldn't go into park ended up being a grain of sand in the solenoid boot, constant problems with a p071 code, now an oil leak at the oil filter housing on a very cheap plastic parts o ring, plus the oring in the filter housing itself and yesterday the radio went crazy everything has been covered under the power train except the radio but the dealer told me this morning they will see what they can do about covering that under the 36000 mile warranty for all my troubles since I didn't purchase the extended warranty

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Wow.... That would be about 70,000 KM, with all that trouble, I would be shopping around for a best trade in and dumping the truck, asap.

In your case, the extended warranty would paid off, too bad, it doesn't cover bumper to bumper, which means, it is my understanding, it doesn't cover the radio.

Not sure, how much time, money, you lost, not having your vehicle, but time is money for me as a contractor. The dealer would be required to provide me a similar truck for free, otherwise, I would be shopping asap, even at a lost or use it as a second vehicle, until I get the price and/or do a tax write off.

By the way, Sorry, I do apologize, wasn't aware of how bad your issues were.

Adios FCA would be my motto and warn/provide details, to all the good people to stay away from FCA.

So far, with my truck, all is well, not even minor issues....

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I plan on trading as soon as it's not so upside down and I go back to work ( laid off from oil field) I'm also trying to convince them it's a lemon and have them buy it back in their opinion I should have bought the extended bumper to bumper to cover their mistakes. I'm not having any issues with the dealer it's not their fault and they are trying to help. The general manager has even told me with all the issues the ecodiesels have both the 1500 and grand Cherokee he won't stock anymore and he has instructed the sales staff to try and steer customers away from them from now on. I hope you have many trouble free years out of yours but as for me mine is gone as soon as I can get out from under it without a huge loss

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
The info from the dealer is informative. Sound like you got a plan. Hope it work out for you asap.

I usually trade in every 2 to 3 years or 100,000 KM (65,000 us miles). Hopefully no issue until then or trade values doesn't start dropping. One year will be under the belt by June.

Usually, I have more miles by now, but haven't had to do lots of out of town travel. Which is okay. Also had second vehicle, which I just sold recently. Holding off till spring/summer to consider a replacement, if needed by then.

My only beef is with FCA customer service, as they are hard to draw information out of them. They keep passing the buck and don't get any answers.

For that reason alone, I told them, it will be my last Dodge, because their customer services is useless. Not sure if it different in USA, but Canada doesn't have good FCA customer service.

We don't have a lemon law here, which is probably the reason customer service is lacking. There is arbitrator process, but not enforceable. So they don't have no pressure here to serve.

Last edited: