• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sigh

Ed Giesbrecht

Jun 2, 2020
Truck Year
So, dealing on a lightly used 2017 Laramie 35,000 km. Price is right - but am now concerned with all the engine issues! I am a Ram guy, always have and always will, present truck is 2010 Ram Laramie 1500 5.7 - 292,000 km's. Only issues I have had are 3 different manifold bolt breaks. I have cured by putting on Ceramic coated shorty headers, bolt issue -gone!
So, tell me why I should buy the Eco diesel? I average 140 km a day commuting on highway and my 5.7 6 speed is kinda thirsty!
I keep hearing if I put the EGR delete / and get the Set up from those Diesel guys in Manitoba all should be good - but that's another $2500 on top of the truck price - so what's the value?
I got to decide by Thursday as truck is on Hold till then!

Thoughts?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! As always, go with your gut. I would research the forum here, YouTube, and even ask a few people you see in town with one to help you gather your thoughts.

If you do go that route.. make sure you have some kind of warranty just in case something major happens.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The main issue is the EGR, you can just get a tune & turn the EGR off, that's what I'm planning, I bought a very gently used 2017 BIG HORN on Dec 30, 14,343 miles, now sitting at just about 21000, I love the truck, if that one is like mine, then the only thing you won't like is the throttle delay, I'v read that it's 2.8 seconds, I put on a sprint booster & it helps a lot, but still has a little, the tune will take care of that. If I keep the speed at about 67 mph I can get almost 29mpg on level ground, generally though I'm between 21 and 24. I would recommend running some hot shot secrets, both the every day diesel treatment and hot shots diesel extreme, I also added their stiction eliminator at my first oil change, I don't know why but the change oil now light came on about halfway through the oil life cycle. The other thing I recommend is some sort of monitor so you know the soot mass and regen status if you remove the emissions, they're just a good idea either way, EDGE INSIGHT 2 & 3 ARE EXCELLENT, AND ANOTHER ONE IS SCANGAUGE2, which has some programmable parameters, the edge products will give you more options, and can initiate a forced regen. I personally think it is extremely critical to keep on top of the regens, if mine starts a regen then I drive until it completes, everything points to one thing, these things arent great for everyday driving in city traffic, if you're on the hiway then you'll likely be fine, like I said mine starts a regen it gets to finish it, about 10-12 miles. In addition to what Boostn said, there are several ECO groups on FACEBOOK.

Ed Giesbrecht

Jun 2, 2020
Truck Year
But now all the buzz is the EGR coolers cracking and leaking coolant, some just on motor - some into oil. Neither is good! Talked to a local Ram dealer yesterday and they were all " oh we know nothing, blah blah" " never heard anything" - so kinda waves a red flag.
Brother in-law is on his second Eco, smashed first one, and he only had 40,000 km on first one and the new one has 16,000 km now. That's not enough mileage to really have a reference. Don't see many in my area so hard to get first hand info, that's why I asked here.
Thanks;

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
ED, its all just increased risk you don't have with Hemi's or gas, DSL Fuel around here is currently $0.80 PG more then GAS.

My 2019 Limited get's 2-3 MPG better then My 2013-14 5.7s So I'm saying $. the 2019 is just all around better truck.

2017 Rams Have Urea sensor so you cannot use Distilled Water at lower concentrations of 10%, My 2015 I ran at 10-15% never have any DEF issues, DEF=33-67% U Deionized Water.

IMO unless you are putting 30K+ Miles Per-Year your better off with Gas. If you buy the 3.0 you will need to change out to missing parts/tune or it will suck your wallet up in long term ownership.