• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting the EcoDiesel in cold weather

MaxSteelDave

Feb 9, 2015
Truck Year
Same problems here in Maine. Truck has 700 miles and has been at dealer more than at my house( I have owned since 12/29, been at shop 2x now for total of 15 days)! “service electronic throttle control” occurred in temps of -5 to -15 degrees when sitting overnight on 2 different days. Dealership has “no known fix” and says working with RAM to find solution. As of right now,I am being told that in cold weather(below zero?) I NEED to do the following:
1. Plug truck in( they are installing cord it didn’t have)
2. Add fuel additive to every tank($$$)
3. Do not move truck until it reaches 140 degrees
I had Cummins with none of these “requirements” . Brand new truck should not require this much effort!!!!
What next!!!
Sitting here after work and thought I'd do a post with my experience. 2014 Laramie quadcab 4wd with Hancook ATM tires. In the middle of the 4th winter with ED. Some things I always try to do...
1. Try to plug heater in when below 25F for overnights.
2. I don't let the truck idle to warm up. I lengthened my commute to approx 5 miles, mostly at 57 mph. Coolant Temp almost always reaches operating minimum temp (160F+). I don't have grille cover.
3. I DO NOT fill the DEF tank to full (8 gallons). I only add 1 jug (2.5 gallons) when the low DEF message pops up. The smaller amount warms up more quickly with the tank heater.
4. If it's really cold, I try make sure the truck reaches 200+ temp at least once every other day.
Instead of 2-3 regens per week, I've only had 3 regens over the last 12 months. I normally drive speed limit +5-7 mph. Average about 17k miles per year. Mid-winter (below 10F) commute mpg about 18-19, summer commute 21-22 mph and trips usually 24-25 mpg (highway driving 80+mph).
Hope my experience helps some of you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk