• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thermostat and housing replacement

JeepJeep

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Hi. 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ecodiesel. GDE HotTune. 70,000miles. Replaced Nox sensor @ 60k. "Coolant temp out of operating range" code.
Contacted GDE for factual info about engine temps. Learned thermostat to open at 208 degrees F. During cold weather, engine oil Temp should reach 212, in order to burn off any moisture. The ecu will activate mil if proper operating temp not reached within specific time period, or during drive cycle. GDE suggested monitoring engine oil temp to estimate coolant temp, in the case of faulty coolant temp sensor.

Ended up replacing thermostat and housing with NAPA HT208-549. That NAPA part is the identical part to the original
at 1/2 the cost of discounted pricing by mopar.

Stupid O-ring was not included. I carefully extracted the stock o-ring, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled.

I attempted to measure the o-ring size for posterity .... but could not get a reliable reading in the micrometer, due to deformation. It would be nice if anyone could provide accurate measurements of this 15 dollar o-ring, for others about to service the thermostat and housing.

Overall, the job took about 35 min. Most likely 10 min longer cause I'm obsessive compulsive about spilling coolant. My 2000 XJ has a pinhole leak in the heater core, so i smell it all the time. TRUST ME -YOU DO NOT WANT TO TACKLE THAT JOB !

Hope this info helps others !

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I got a 05 tj that’s had the lovely antifreeze smell for years. Just waiting on mass failure before I have to gut the whole dash to do it.

JeepJeep

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Uggggggg... had to do the evaporator. Couldn't live without the AC. Think I inadvertently caused the heater core to fail, when I was replacing the evaporator. The inlet and outlet tubes were about 18" long, to go through the firewall. I'm positive one cracked at the weld where it attaches to the actual core, during reassembly. Whole project took about 18 hours. Also have a loose ground somewhere behind the dash... not to mention several unidentified fasteners !