• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Think my turbo vanes are sticking

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Well, at 179k miles, I believe my turbo vanes are sticking, or my actuator is bad. Haven’t dug too far into it yet, but it seems like the vanes are staying open, not allowing boost to build/ slow to spool up. I will keep everyone up to date with my findings as I plan to start with my map sensor, followed by disconnecting the actuator from the vanes, and trying to move the vanes manually to see if they are bound up, or if the actuator gears could be shot. I suspect it to be the vanes sticking because a few hundred miles ago, I blew apart an intercooler clamp, and looking back, I suspect it was the vanes not functioning properly, causing overboost. But I have zero codes, so I am basing my assumptions off of a random limp mode issue, with no codes. Hopefully I can help so done when I determine a cause! Also, I hope to replace turbo without intake removal, cab removal, or transmission removal if possible, but we shall see!!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I just had One of my shops replace the Turbo on 2015... you will be removing 1 of the 3.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Update 1-

Found boost leak at turbo outlet where the factory intercooler line connects to the outlet. I knew I had some bypass after the aftermarket kit was installed, but I guess it has gotten worse. Time to get creative!