• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking of going ecodiesel

Curdogger34

Jan 27, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thinking of replacing my 2009 cclb 4.0 Tacoma with an ecodiesel. I have owned several powerstroke an cummins powered trucks. I use the Tacoma as a dd an work truck for my rental properties. Tow a 6x14 utility trailer an average about 3500 miles a month. The 4.0 in the tacoma is a outstanding motor but the fuel economy is terrible for a 4700lb truck. I average 12.5
Mpg towing an 16.5 to 18 unloaded. I thought about going back to a 3/4 ton truck. The mileage will not be much better an fuel will cost more. Seems I find more threads about ED failures that I do success stories. Is there a certain year or job number thats better than others? Any advise or info would be much appreciated.

Les Cole

Jul 27, 2018
I bought a 2018 Laramie in September 2018. Had a 2 CEL lights (both related to an O2 sensor) fixed easily and no other problem. Just passed 9K and simply love this truck. Live in ATL drove to Mobile and back over weekend averaged 25.6 (hand calculated, though electronic mpg is never more than.3 off) drove 75-78 entire way. Get as late a model as you can and and I believe you will be pleased.

Curdogger34

Jan 27, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanyou for the replies. Im looking for 15 or newer I get a better rate from my bank for getting a 15 an even better for 17. Love my tacoma but it makes want to vomit driving a 4300lb truck that can only muster 16 mpg on average.

Curdogger34

Jan 27, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Im in north central Indiana. Going with used then wait an see what 2019 bring for 1500 ecodiesel.

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah, if you don't find a killer deal new or used, I would wait to see what the 2nd gen eco's look like. I heard they should be out by spring of this year.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The article states this:

Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion.

I'm sure theres more, but we'll probably have to wait closer to a release to find out more.

socalram

Dec 15, 2018
im In no hurry to get a truck, but I’d like one. Would it be wise to wait for the new ecodiesel engine assuming they’ve worked out the kinks and? Also, is that the new or old body style?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
im In no hurry to get a truck, but I’d like one. Would it be wise to wait for the new ecodiesel engine assuming they’ve worked out the kinks and? Also, is that the new or old body style?

Only time will tell if it'll be worth the wait or not... it'll be the new body style.