• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tips on keeping it going smoothly

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
We all have paid the big bucks for our trucks. And the basic units are the same just better window dressing on some. I get a kick out of the ford & chevy commercials beating each other to death on who is #2 and 3. I've owned them all and they just can not compare to the EcoDiesel or any Ram for that matter. I was driving Mopar in the 1960s. I, also, have been asked to resell my truck, I have one comment, they are OUT OF THEIR MINES. Because of the VW debacle there are very few, if any, small diesels available to the American market currently. Just another example of scam artists, like the EPA and VW, holding the American public hostage. Follow the money, it will scare the daylights out of you. We are all being scammed by our own government in many ways.
None of us want trouble from our trucks but the truth be known, as someone already pointed out, it is machine and they ALL can break down. Believe me ALL manufacturers break down. Been there. Just ford and chevy and our US government made sure Ram got the bad press. I had a nightmare Silverado. My Ram will go 200,000 miles or ten years, minimum, before I even think about something else. So to help my truck along, 2016 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel, here is what I do: I bought the extended warranty, so I can be covered till about 160,000. then if it breaks, I am long past the break even point. I am a financial advisor, I have run the numbers.
1. The dealership changes the oil and filter when the truck says its time. The fuel filter every 15,000. So if anything goes wrong down the road there is a clear paper trail. I keep a record file as well. Yes, it costs more, deal with it. Be that said a word of caution, I have 21,000 miles on the truck I've had it one year. The first oil change dealership cross threaded the filler cap, the second time went to a different dealership. They did not put enough of the correct oil, (they got to do it again.) The correct oil has a blue cast to it, if I am correct. So it pays to check their work. And if something goes wrong, it's their problem.
2. I know the book says plug in the block heater a 0 F. Remember the book gives basic information. I plug mine it at 25 F.or under. The line is on a timer to turn on about 2 hours before I leave. I have not seen a difference in my electric bill. In that time the block temp goes from, as this morning in Western New York State 9 F to about 80 to 85. Now the truck feels it is being started on a nice spring day. Even though it is synthetic oil you can hear the difference.
3. ALWAYS, warm it up. Give it a few minutes even on a warm day to get up some heat. I let it warm to over 110 f.
4. I go out of my way to buy diesel at a place where they sell a LOT of diesel. The usual is a 10 bay 18 wheeler refueling depot. I ALWAYS see several truck there. I get 8 cents off a gallon using their own credit card. I seek large truck stops when on the road. Over the years I have cut in half various fuel filters both gas and diesel. Buying from a high volume dealer makes a HUGE difference.

Just my thoughts. I usually do not say much but read a lot. I thought this might help a few of us. Thanks to all for the posts.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I agree about warming-up the truck in cold weather. It makes sense.

Did you buy the warranty from an aftermarket warranty company? I'm pretty sure the Mopar MaxCare for the ecodiesel will only allow up to 8 yrs./120K miles.

The correct oil is Shell Rotella T6 or equivalent. I don't think it has a blue cast to it.

BillF6531

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
The correct oil is Shell Rotella T6 or equivalent. I don't think it has a blue cast to it.

You are correct. T6 has a slight amber/yellow color to it if you put a little on a clean paper towel.

Jerry

Mar 2, 2016
Truck Year
I stand corrected on the oil color. I have about 15%left on the oil and its black now. i think the first time it was changed it was blue then they changed specs. just check to be sure the dealer does it right. the warrenty i have is through Custom Edge Plus. A lot of details but power train is covered till 150,000 and 8 years.

then again, there are some very knowedgable people on this forum that know more about this than I do. So if I am on some other planet, somebody let me know.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If you are on some other planet, it's likely we will meet. :)