• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing Temps

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Have some slight concerns after making a trip with the new 7,500 lb travel trailer (old one was only 4k) this past weekend. We went up the mountains towards Lake Tahoe (Ice House to be specific) and I noticed my temps climbing. I have an Air Lift bag setup installed on the truck and also use a weight distribution hitch for a smoother ride, I understand neither help with the actual towing capacity of the truck and that I am very close to the weight limit but the truck "feels" good.

The hottest I saw was Coolant 230*, Trans 210* and Oil 255* all while accelerating up the grades...air temp was in the mid 80's. Once I got on the highway cruising at 55-60 they leveled out to 215, 200 and 220 +/-5 and stuck until I got home.

Regularly driving with no towing I'm right at 205/195/210 +/-5

The camping trip sucked and I do not plan to go back up that way again. In Northern CA in the heat of summer we'll see 100-110 air temps and I plan on camping regularly but it will mostly be flat highway trips with very little hills to climb. Just wondering if I should I start planning now for cooling solutions before hitting the road for my next trip in mid-July.

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I was towing a 20' car hauler loaded to around 7k+ lbs last week and over a 380-mile trip once the weather got hot outside I noticed the temps starting to go up. I saw 230 on the coolant gauge, high 240's on the oil temp, and trans around 210-212, this was with 95-96 degree temps outside and only mild grades. I think I basically found the limit of this truck hauling that trailer loaded that way and I won't do it again. There were a couple of times I pulled over to stretch and let the truck cool down some.

lucskoj

Jun 27, 2015
The truck will derate itself on oil around 270. Your temps seem pretty normal for towing up a grade I wouldn't worry to much. If you want to help cool it some remove the grill shutters and open up the front end some. I have had mine removed for almost 2 years now and it definitely helps cool things down some. Just every day highway driving in 85 degrees I stay around 205 oil and 200 coolant.

welded

May 3, 2017
Truck Year
Hi ALL
Are the grill shutters thermostatically controlled?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Hi ALL
Are the grill shutters thermostatically controlled?

Not sure this answers your question but here's a decent video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

welded

May 3, 2017
Truck Year
Thank you Boostn
The video clearly shows that the shutters are temperature controlled. Make sense that they would be

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
The truck will derate itself on oil around 270. Your temps seem pretty normal for towing up a grade I wouldn't worry to much. If you want to help cool it some remove the grill shutters and open up the front end some. I have had mine removed for almost 2 years now and it definitely helps cool things down some. Just every day highway driving in 85 degrees I stay around 205 oil and 200 coolant.
How was the process of removing the shutter? I'm in northern California and don't see temps below 40-45 at the coldest during times that id be driving the truck. We usually stay on average between 60-80* in the winter, spring and fall

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Have some slight concerns after making a trip with the new 7,500 lb travel trailer

The hottest I saw was Coolant 230*, Trans 210* and Oil 255* all while accelerating up the grades...air temp was in the mid 80's. Once I got on the highway cruising at 55-60 they leveled out to 215, 200 and 220 +/-5 and stuck until I got home.

The camping trip sucked and I do not plan to go back up that way again. In Northern CA in the heat of summer we'll see 100-110 air temps and I plan on camping regularly but it will mostly be flat highway trips with very little hills to climb. Just wondering if I should I start planning now for cooling solutions before hitting the road for my next trip in mid-July.

StevenB, I see that you lost your engine and no longer own the truck. Maybe you'll still receive a notification and apply to this thread.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
The truck will derate itself on oil around 270.

From my understanding, the truck will derate itself if the coolant or oil temp reaches a certain temp. You mentioned that the oil temp will derate around 270*F. Do you know at what temperature the coolant will cause a derate?