• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer Reverse Steering Control Does Not Work!

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Many months ago Ram notified me that 2021 trucks with "reverse steer" have been recalled because the camera won't always work. I don't have any problems with the rear view camera. MY PROBLEM is that the REVERSE STEER doesn't work at all. After the recall (Y-30) was performed in May, the reverse steering still didn't work. The service tech and I got really familiar with pages 235 and 236 of the truck's manual because, as the tech explained, there is no other documentation. None. And my dealer has sold one truck with the feature. Mine.

Over the summer I have visited the dealer several times. Ram has replaced the reverse steering control module and then reprogrammed the replacement. Last week it spent the week at the dealer so that the Ram regional technician and dealer could conference remotely to each other and walk the dealer techs thru a series of tests and re-programmings with my trailer attached. Over 40 hours of staff time were noted on my paperwork. It still does not work.

The technician told dealer staff that the only sensor used is the rear camera. To date my dealer has seen no technical documentation on the system and so still has no idea how the system should work other than what he's been told. Ram has tossed around a theory that the trailer's propane tanks blocked the rear camera and asked me to try other trailers. I've been trying other trailers. I own two boat trailers and a cargo trailer. The system does not work with any of them.

I understand that Ram is considering offering me money to just go away. But I'd like to know exactly why this isn't working, before I took the money. One reason I bought this particular truck was the availability of this feature, I tow weekly, including moving them in tight places around our property.

Is there anybody else having this experience with this feature on their truck? Has anyone actually gotten it to work? What kind of trailer? Any ideas on what Ram is not doing that they should?

Harry Mallory

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 21 Limited. When the reverse steering works, it is awesome. My experience is that it has to recalibrate each time I connect a trailer, even if I have used the trailer successfully before and have the trailer listed . That said, once recalbrated, it works great. But, having to drive around to calibrate the trailer after every hookup is some times a pain.