• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer tongue weight

DodgeGal2

Oct 4, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EcoDiesel 1500 Ram with a tow package. My husband and used it to tow a travel trailer on many extended trips. In our travels I only partially paid attention to how he balanced the hitch height for the trailer. He passed a couple years ago and I still want to travel with a travel trailer; so, now have a 16’ cargo trailer I have converted to a travel trailer. Trailer is aluminum frame and with the build estimate total weight under 3,000 lbs. (my husband took our other trailer to weight stations, he seem very concerned with tongue tow weight. I have not taken my conversion to be weighted) I have an adjustable height hitch and have adjusted the hight so on a flat parking lot the trailer and truck apear “level”. I have 40# in the air bags. The trailer pulls smooth - the truck does not “buck” when pulling the trailer. My Question: when pulling the trailer the tire pressure on the back tires runs about 2 lbs higher that when not pulling the trailer. Is this normal? If not, what should I do about it? I ask because I am beginning to take an extensive trip across several states, and as a single traveler, want to take all preventive measures for problems I can.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Your tongue weight on such a small trailer should not be too much of an issue depending on what you load in it and whee you load it.
The only true way to tell is to weigh it though. A couple pounds of air pressure is not too big of a deal.
Sorry for your loss but good on you to get out and travel! A couple pics of your set up would help the forum give any advice.

DodgeGal2

Oct 4, 2021
Truck Year
Your tongue weight on such a small trailer should not be too much of an issue depending on what you load in it and whee you load it.
The only true way to tell is to weigh it though. A couple pounds of air pressure is not too big of a deal.
Sorry for your loss but good on you to get out and travel! A couple pics of your set up would help the forum give any advice.
Thanks for the reassurance re tire pressure and tow info. I will need to research where I can get it weighted. I designed the cargo trailer converted to a travel trailer so the interior build has the weight pretty evenly distributed. It will try to get it hooked up and a picture taken as a general FYI.