• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission hangs in 7th gear

Richard radawetz

Jan 19, 2018
Truck Year
2017 longhorn ecodiesel. Was fine for first 500 kilometres then got service throttle contro. Dealer cleared cel but now has a hard time shifting to eight gear unless you let off If you go up a little hill it takes a half mile or more to go back into high gear. Dealer says normal. Anyone else having this issue. . I had a 2015 and it never had this problem. Thanks in advance Richard

Richard radawetz

Jan 19, 2018
Truck Year
How could this be normal. First 5000 km it shifted into 8 th gear and now after ref lash it doesn't stay in 8th. Been back to dealer 6 times and called customer support and filed for a buyback. When in 7 th runs at 13l /100 and 8-9 in 8 th. Maybe a green diesel ref lash would help.

John

Nov 13, 2015
You mentioned it was re-flashed. Possibly due to the flash maybe to keep RPM's higher. Thinking this cause the dealer says it's normal.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
New flash ramped rpms for cooling requirements that came out like a year ago with the oil switch to 5w40. It's common. I've got original flash but put 275/65/20 tires from 275/60 and that extra inch with 3.55 gears pretty well gives me a 7 speed trans due to engine load. I'm sure 3.92 gears fare much better with larger tires.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just posted the exact same issue in another post. Mine just started this at 12,000 but I had a 4” lift installed too. Don’t think that would cause it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
get a GDE trans tune and you'll not have the 8-7 downshift because of a minor load. Other than remapping, you will also be able to manually select which gear you want (within certain parameters).

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
The new updates incorporate the parameters from the oil specification change. My truck has done the same thing since my reflash for the oil spec. it drives me crazy 60mph up a less than 2% grade and I have to pull back just a little on throttle to get 8th, then have to be real ginger to keep 8th. That really could be forgiven except it duplicates the 7th gear hold at 55 mph on flat ground. Of course with no load. Once my Extended Warranty is up I plan on taking appropriate measures to correct this minor irritation.
I could discuss the need for the rpm change at shift points and it's effectiveness for the condition that it was being applied for, just say it is normal corporate engineering by committee.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Gear Head. You explained my issue exactly. Have to set my cruise to 60 then accelerate to 62 and let off the throttle to get it into 8th. Then like you say a small gust of wind and I’m back in 7th and it stays. Mine won’t even shift in 8 at highway speeds without the same scenario. It never did that for the first 10,000 miles. I could drive up and down hills and hardly ever downshift. I mean it’s a diesel so it shouldn’t have to downshift with low RPM torque. Also I never had mine in to have the software updated. It started all on its own. I’m taking it to the dealership tomorrow for this issue. Their plan was to flash the updates but I doubt that fixes it since it sounds like that’s the cause for most. Also my back up camera just quit working. Now all I get is a blue screen that says camera system unavailable. Grrr.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Gear Head. You explained my issue exactly. Have to set my cruise to 60 then accelerate to 62 and let off the throttle to get it into 8th. Then like you say a small gust of wind and I’m back in 7th and it stays. Mine won’t even shift in 8 at highway speeds without the same scenario. It never did that for the first 10,000 miles. I could drive up and down hills and hardly ever downshift. I mean it’s a diesel so it shouldn’t have to downshift with low RPM torque. Also I never had mine in to have the software updated. It started all on its own. I’m taking it to the dealership tomorrow for this issue. Their plan was to flash the updates but I doubt that fixes it since it sounds like that’s the cause for most. Also my back up camera just quit working. Now all I get is a blue screen that says camera system unavailable. Grrr.

With luck a re-flash may improve, but not completely alleviate, your shifting issues. Sorry to say I believe the ultimate correction is from Green Diesel Engineering, the only outlet that I know of that has a Trans. reprogram available. Man all the computer stuff on these, or any new vehicles, is daunting. A re-flash may be the first step in correcting your camera, it comes through the Body Control Module.
Good Luck.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well I had my software updated but it’s still the same. They found a loose wire so my back up camera works. One good thing came out of the dealer visit. I was on the highway running 80 after and it was staying in 8th but not on back roads at 55 or 60. Hate to wait until my 100k extended warranty is up to get a GDE tune [emoji107]

Mark Norris

Jan 7, 2019
Truck Year
Mine hangs in 7th also, I'll press the accelerator a little and then let off and it will finally shift.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
Well I had my software updated but it’s still the same. They found a loose wire so my back up camera works. One good thing came out of the dealer visit. I was on the highway running 80 after and it was staying in 8th but not on back roads at 55 or 60. Hate to wait until my 100k extended warranty is up to get a GDE tune [emoji107]

I can tune your transmission now. Eliminate all the shifting issues. Especially hanging in lower gears. Mine will get you into 8th gear at 50 mph

instagram.com/sofakingtuned
facebook.com/sofakingtuned

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
So how do you do the tune? Is the transmission program in the ECM with the engine program or does it reside in a different box? I guess what I’m asking is if I already have a GDE tune will your program wipe it out?

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
So how do you do the tune? Is the transmission program in the ECM with the engine program or does it reside in a different box? I guess what I’m asking is if I already have a GDE tune will your program wipe it out?

No, I would not wipe out your GDE tune. Its a different "box" .. the TCM, Is separate from the ECU. I personally I ran GDE's hot tune for 20k miles, then supertune the last 2k miles...had the SFT transmission tune on my vehicle with both the hot & super tune for the past 8k miles.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don’t actually have a GDE tune yet but I keep thinking about it. Just didn’t know how the 2 got along because I thought the GDE tunes the transmission but in the ECM? I’m still confused lol.

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
I don’t actually have a GDE tune yet but I keep thinking about it. Just didn’t know how the 2 got along because I thought the GDE tunes the transmission but in the ECM? I’m still confused lol.

Nope, they don't touch the TCM...they do tell the transmission via the ECU (new engine tune) to hold gears longer etc..has to do with "torque request" from the driver basically. But no, it's NOTHING compared to actually tuning the transmission. Which you can do completely stock. If you decide to get your ECU tuned later, it will work for that as well.