• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission issue

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
For those thinking of servicing your transmission, here are the instructions I received after reaching out to ZF. I have serviced mine, it isn't hard just very specific. I replaced my pan with an aluminum one with replaceable filter and I plan on servicing it every 50k miles. Keep in mind that you can't fully flush the fluid since about half stays in the torque convertor. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a24a265dcb75/ZF Trans Service Instructions.pdf
Same basic instructions we have in the shop, courtesy of ZF, however if properly Flushed, all fluid is removed from system, if you simply drop the pan/filter you will only remove approx. 2L of ATF vs. the 9L capacity. 50K service is an excellent service goal. I have heard and seen online the aluminum pan and I am considering it for my truck.

Zachary

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Same basic instructions we have in the shop, courtesy of ZF, however if properly Flushed, all fluid is removed from system, if you simply drop the pan/filter you will only remove approx. 2L of ATF vs. the 9L capacity. 50K service is an excellent service goal. I have heard and seen online the aluminum pan and I am considering it for my truck.
GearHead: if you are able to share, what is the proper flush procedure? I'm certain I didn't flush mine properly.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
GearHead: if you are able to share, what is the proper flush procedure? I'm certain I didn't flush mine properly.
Certainly. We use a B G products transmission flush machine which utilizes a double fluid containment system, one for new fluid and one for old fluid. Vehicle is raised on a lift. A transmission line to cooler is uncoupled and the flush machine is coupled in line. Manufacturer dependent the engine is started and, manufacturer dependent, the transmission is placed in drive and the flush machine is started which forces fresh fluid into the transmission and the old fluid out, into the old fluid container. The fresh fluid container should have the appropriate sufficient supply of fresh fluid, once the site glass is showing clean fresh fluid the flush machine is shut off and the transmission is placed in Park and engine shut down. This process pumps all the fluid out of the torque converter, valve bodies, transmission pan, etc. At this time you disconnect the lines to the flush machine and reconnect the normal lines. That is the simple description. Now with the ZF transmission you should then run the engine until the fluid reaches manufacturers recommended temperature to check for correct fluid level at the level plug on the side of the transmission. (Same with Mercedes/Volvo/BMW)
Of course the draw back is we have not removed the filter and any particulate matter that may be trapped there. If you just change the filter and refill the pan the majority of the old fluid remains in the pump, valve bodies, torque converter etc. So some customers prefer to change the filter first then flush to cover both bases.
With labor and fluids depending on the region of the country and the fluid used, this runs about $250 and up. Of course we then get into the discussion of ATF, another thread has an excellent explanation and options of synthetic fluids suitable for use in our ZF transmissions.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Great information guys, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mosby

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
I have read if the transmission fluid is too old that flushing can be bad. Also, if the tech is not sharp, can you imagine replacing that ZF transmission? At 50k, I will run the fluid to 120 degrees, put in reverse for 10 seconds to backflush the filter, then turn off. I will drain a the pan, reinstall the plug and fill back up. While this leaves perhaps half of the fluid still inside, it is a very simple and cheap way to extend the transmission life. At 100k, I may buy that $250 aluminum pan with a replaceable filter. With a new pan, the old magnets come out. The aluminum pan disperses heat much better than the OEM pan. Valvoline makes a fluid that is acceptable by ZF standards. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...8JgwFglWU80lZPVoDIqcEZ5OQjIi-f3caAhTxEALw_wcB

Leo

Feb 14, 2019
Truck Year
Mine does this, no codes! Driving technic, if you roll up to a stop and brake when you think it is just about to do it, you can smooth it out! Doesn't feel like a slip of any kind either, just modified my driving!